Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What happened to the Ubuntu fever???

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Re: What happened to the Ubuntu fever???

Quote Originally Posted by dwasifar View Post
    But, like Linus, I'm still hoping someone will fork Gnome 2 and save me the choice. Until then I'm using Mint 10 or Pinguy 11.04 where I would once have used Ubuntu.
    You might want to take a look at MATE Desktop Environment.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptinGoogle View Post
    I'm new to Ubuntu and I have only just started getting into the loop of things; so I've just been bouncing off the walls about this new release even though I'm not too happy about the removal of the classic gnome.
    The removal of Classic mode was unavoidable simply because of the fact that GNOME2 is losing official support. It has been forked (see above), but who knows how long that'll last. Some forks die almost instantly while others (like Clementine, a fork of Amarok 1.4.x) last a long time and become very good. You may be interested in gnome-fallback (some info on it can be found here) mode which will be installable from the default repositories.
    Ubuntu user #35115 - Linux user #555707 - My Ubuntu Wik page
    Join the Ubuntu Forums' IRC room (#ubuntuforums on irc.freenode.net)!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

I just realized I haven't posted my feelings about the upcoming release. I AM FREAKING PUMPED! There.
    Ubuntu user #35115 - Linux user #555707 - My Ubuntu Wik page
    Join the Ubuntu Forums' IRC room (#ubuntuforums on irc.freenode.net)!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I'm used to unity now - to the point that I'm annoyed that my old laptop running linux mint LXDE doesn't have it. We are creatures of habit....

Haven't noticed anything too new with 11.1o though. I guess its all behind the scenes....
    The outrageous is the reasonable, if introduced politely.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by dwasifar View Post
    I think those who blame it on the interface change are correct. Unity lost Ubuntu a lot of supporters and momentum.
    There would be a backlash no matter what they made as their default desktop environment. It's all subjective.

Beans
    Distro

I'm excited about the new release. I'll likely be on the forums and on IRC all day chatting and testing it out.

Beans

The hype is pretty down this release. Of course, I'll probably still have my own little festival on release day where I drink way too much root beer and stay up until midnight reporting Oneiric bugs on the Toshiba T235D series.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by CaptinGoogle View Post
    I'm new to Ubuntu and I have only just started getting into the loop of things; so I've just been bouncing off the walls about this new release even though I'm not too happy about the removal of the classic gnome.
    +1 for not happy about removal of classic gnome. Unity is fine for just web surfing and doing email, but if you want to get work done using multiple files and windows--unity just gets in the way.
    I'm waiting for 12.04 lts. If they have a classic gnome choice very much like gnome 2 I'll go with that, if not I'll be a Xubuntu convert.
    KBD47

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I don't think it's just the Unity hate. I mean, there's the Unity love, too, and the rewritten Compiz in 11.04. Last cycle was just more prone to hype, promising a lot of big, visible changes. 11.10 is subtle revisions and enhancements.

I never upgrade straight out of the gate, and I may have some problems with this iteration on my kit, but I'd love to get in on the new Gnome 3 tweaks. There's some really sensible, useful, impressive stuff in there. Just not exciting stuff.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

There are never many exciting updates between the second beta and the release. All the features are in, and it's just bug fixes, which, while enormously important, are not too exciting.

There may be some backlash over Unity, but I wouldn't give it too much credit. It's normal at this point in the development cycle.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by KBD47 View Post
    +1 for not happy about removal of classic gnome.
    You do realize it's more than just Canonical abandoning gnome2. The Gnome team no longer supports it. G3 can be made to be pretty close to G2, with a little tweaking. I don't see what the big deal is. Once you get used to it, Unity is actually pretty good.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast