Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Apple Bluetooth Keyboard: Function key not recognised

Beans

Re: Apple Bluetooth Keyboard: Function key not recognised

Hey fmazanat,

It really is an annoying issue. Are you getting similar outputs to me?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Hi, which keyboard did you get , the little one?

I have literally just paired it via bluetooth and all the keys are working, including the multimedia and function keys, and I have done nothing except pair it. It is US keyboard, as I bought in Germany, and I couldn't get a UK versions. In fact this post is being written with it.

This is on a Dell E6400, with Ubuntu 11.10 fully patched up to today.

I did have a little fun and games getting it to initially pair, and it only worked when I told it to use pin options 0000, otherwise it was offering a custom number to pair.

Hope this helps your quest a little.

Beans

Thanks for the reply codfather.

I'm using Oneiric now and I have paired the keyboard as per usual. The keyboard works perfectly except for the function + multimedia keys. The eject button works well though.

I live in Australia and that's where I bought the keyboard. However I don't imagine they could be too different. This is exactly what it looks like: http://thebest-computers.com/wp-cont...-keyboards.jpg

Could you have installed a different version of something important like bluez that could have added the functionality?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Hi all,

I can add some more info. I have a macbook from around early 2010 (running Ubuntu 11.10). The fn-keys work fine (ie multimedia work, fn-right = end, fn-left = home etc).

At the same time I purchased an Apple bluetooth keyboard. Again the fn keys work fine.

About 3 months ago I purchased a 2nd Apple blutooth keyboard for use at work and the fn key doesn't work properly. As mentioned here f1-f12 works, but not as multimedia keys. fn-arrow combinations etc also do not work.

By all outward appearance the 2 keyboards are the same, but Apple has obviously changed something internally and Ubuntu doesn't recongnise the fn-key on the new keyboards.

Hope this helps someone come up with a solution. I'm not a programmer but am happy to troubleshoot with both keyboards if required.

Cheers

Jase

PS I also purchased this keyboard from an Apple reseller in Australia.
    Last edited by Jasev; December 20th, 2011 at 04:41 AM. Reason: Additional Info

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I have filed a bug report regarding this issue. See https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/911064

Similar bugs suggest the device ID has changed and the new ID needs to be added to the Kernel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12