Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Boot from USB from un-bootable USB Laptop :/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Cool Boot from USB Drive from un-bootable USB drive Laptop :/

An old SONY laptop with broken CD drive and UN-botable from the USB Flash Drive !!

I use Plop Boot Manager http://www.plop.at/ on Windows XP OS to boot from the USB drive and it work .. so I was able to download Ubuntu 10.4 and it's work well ..
    Now am trying to download Lubuntu 11.4 but I couldn't use Plop Boot Manager any more ..
    So I search for a solutions to fix my issue so I can Boot from the USB again to install Lubuntu ,
    in fact I found a several ways and i try it almost all but none of them could solve my problem !!

one of them were in the same program website

http://www.plop.at/en/bootmanager.html#intro

Code:
    Run from GRUB2

Download the current boot manager plpbt-5.0.13.zip. Extract it to get the boot manager binary program plpbt.bin.

Copy the plpbt.bin file to /boot.

You have to choose the correct root settings in grub.cfg for your system. 
    The following is an example

menuentry "Plop Boot Manager" 
        set root=(hd0,1)
        linux16 /boot/plpbt.bin

When you reboot, you should be able to start the boot manager from your grub menu.

You can configure the file plpbt.bin with plpcfgbt.
    During this process I have another problem which is :
    how I can log in as a root So that I can copy the file and paste it in a Root folder so I search again and I found the answer ..

<snip>

so I was able to fix root issue and I log in as a root and I could copy the plpbt.bin file to the Boot folder as they said and I restart my laptop
    But unfortunately nothing happened and it doesn't work with me ..
    so any Suggestions !!
    Last edited by nothingspecial; October 7th, 2011 at 08:48 AM. Reason: root log in

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Boot from USB from un-bootable USB Laptop :/

this might not be the answer you were looking for but unless your laptop is really really really old then it probably will boot from usb, the older laptops though used to detect a usb stick as an internal drive so wouldnt list them in any quick boot menu but if you search into your bios, youll have the usual boot priority list, but often also a hard drive priority list aswell, move the usb up to the top of that list too, save and exit, the problem with laptops that do this everytime you unplug the usb it drops back to the bottom of the list

i appreciate this may not be the case but even my first laptop (at least 10 years old) does this
    Last edited by CaptainMark; October 6th, 2011 at 10:26 PM.
    Catch me on Freenode - imark

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

No it's not older than 10 years i think it's about 6 or 7 years !

Any how my Boot Menu
    1-Optical Drive
    2-Hard Disk Drive
    3-Floppy Disk Drive
    4-Network

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

no, a seperate menu, not the boot menu but it should be in a similar place, it should be called 'hard drive priority' or something similar like 'hard disk menu/order' and it may list your usb because many older laptops detected them as if they were actually internal hard drives, as i say its not 100% but it would save you some hassle and is worth a check
    Catch me on Freenode - imark

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Okay i'll check that ..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by ajsoulmate View Post
    No it's not older than 10 years i think it's about 6 or 7 years !

Any how my Boot Menu
    1-Optical Drive
    2-Hard Disk Drive
    3-Floppy Disk Drive
    4-Network
    Hmm... this doesn't look very promising. :/

There are a couple of things you could try though. First, I want you to switch floppy to #2 and hard disk to #3. This is just in case.

Second, I want you to try making your bootable USB with Unetbootin. It's a much more straightforward program than what you're using. See if it boots this way...

If it doesn't attempt to boot after the above, I must know if you have a floppy drive inside your laptop. If your laptop cannot boot from a USB device, we can tell it to by making it boot from the floppy first.

*edit* Oh yeah... try CaptainMark's post first of course.
    Mint 17.3 Cinnamon

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

No i don't have a Floppy drive in my laptop :/
    okay i'll change the boot menu then i'll try Unetbootin and i'll let u know ..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

sorry but i think u got me wrong i have an Ubuntu 10.4 start up disk but i can't use it because i cann't boot from my USB Drive and According to my information there is a huge diffident between Unetbootin and Plop Boot Manager!

Code:
    The Plop Boot Manager is a small program to boot different operating systems. The boot manager has a builtin ide cdrom and usb driver to access those hardware without the help/need of a bios. You can boot the operating systems from harddisk, floppy, CD/DVD or from USB. You can start the boot manager from floppy, CD, network and there are many more ways to start the boot manager. You can install the boot manager on your harddisk. There is no extra partition required for the boot manager.
    so any other suggestion ..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMark View Post
    no, a seperate menu, not the boot menu but it should be in a similar place, it should be called 'hard drive priority' or something similar like 'hard disk menu/order' and it may list your usb because many older laptops detected them as if they were actually internal hard drives, as i say its not 100% but it would save you some hassle and is worth a check
    sorry but I could not find anything of the above :/

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMark View Post
    the problem with laptops that do this everytime you unplug the usb it drops back to the bottom of the list
    Hello Mark, good to see you

Actually, this is the general case with each and every USB Drive. Think about it, BIOS would detect the device ONLY if it's plugged in and it wouldn't while it's unplugged so it's not a problem in fact, it's a common sense thing. This is how BIOS works.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast