Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Reduce boot time

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Reduce boot time

Quote Originally Posted by viperdvman View Post
    Well that's kind of unfair for those of us who dual-boot. It takes time for the BIOS to load up, then you gotta select Ubuntu in your bootloader (Windows or GRUB or LILO), and then let Ubuntu do its booting.

That's why I time it from the moment my bootloader starts loading Ubuntu. But, I could time it from the moment I turn my computer on too.
    Unfair? I don't see that as "unfair" at all
    What you are doing is you are ignoring the "Booting Time" and you are just calculating/timing the "OS Loading Time" which is IMHO is not what we were talking about

If you are Dual-Booting, I'm Multi-Booting (XP, Ubuntu 11.04, Lubuntu 11.04 and Lubuntu 11.10). I wouldn't call that unfair

Anyway, I'm using IDE HDD, that's why my overall booting time is long (60-70 seconds).
    SATA must be faster, I guess. I can't connect my SATA HDD because I'm using my PC for testing only these days.

Beans

Well of course computers that run only one OS are going to boot up a little faster than ones that dual- or multi-boot. That extra few seconds that you have to select your operating system does come into play. That's just the few seconds that's human-controlled

Like I said, when I can, I'll time both my computer bootup and OS bootup.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by viperdvman View Post
    Like I said, when I can, I'll time both my computer bootup and OS bootup.
    Yes, you right. I misread your last line in your last post

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123