Thread: unfair infractions given

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

unfair infractions given

I am writing to request that my infraction be removed.

I was notified that I was given an infraction for insulting the staff, and that my account is "put on moderation" for ten days, and that my posts will need to be reviewed by the staff before they appear in the forums.

This is because of my comment in this thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1854735

Here is what I said:

Dang. I just subscribed to this thread ("the best ubuntu blog?": http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1600155), hoping to see some blogs mentioned that I haven't seen yet, and, "zap!" -- thread closed.

I know, I know, someone's gonna say, "Start a new thread, if you wish."

But, man, I wish you guys would chill a bit when it comes to killing threads like this.

Nothing I said in that post was insulting to anyone. I didn't call anyone names or put anyone down. I expressed disappointment that the thread was locked, explained that I had an interest in the thread and that I had subscribed to it, and expressed a wish that threads like this wouldn't be locked so quickly.

Further, bodhi.zazen states, "...there is no need to be so hostile." What part of my post expressed any hostility?

Now he reverses the original infraction and gives me a "lower infraction." I don't think I deserve any infraction at all. He states that the sentence that he took as "insulting" or whatever was "But, man, I wish you guys would chill a bit when it comes to killing threads like this." What part of that is insulting? What part of that is "inappropriate language," as the message in my "lower infraction" gives as a reason for the infraction?

First you say that I insulted the staff, which I did not do. Then you re-open the thread, which (in my opinion, shouldn't have been locked in the first place). Then you reverse my infraction and give me another one for inappropriate language, when I used no inappropriate language.

Please remove all infractions from my account. I have done nothing wrong here. Thank you.

Re: unfair infractions given

But, man, I wish you guys would chill a bit when it comes to killing threads like this.
    This came across as passive aggressive towards the forum staff.

What part of that is "inappropriate language," as the message in my "lower infraction" gives as a reason for the infraction?
    The message in both of your infractions explains why they were issued in greater depth.

Your initial infraction was reversed and a new infraction with a lower points value was issued after a series of PM exchanges. You are now challenging this, despite your passive aggressive swipe at the forum staff. The infraction will stand.

I suggest you move on and consider this matter over.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: unfair infractions given

Quote Originally Posted by s.fox View Post
    This came across as passive aggressive towards the forum staff.
    Okay, I am not trying to rub you folks the wrong way. I don't want my account to be deleted. I'm a long-time member here and I've stuck my neck out countless times at several other forums when people were bashing Ubuntu and saying negative things about these forums and the mods/admins here. I'm one of those out there saying good things about Ubuntu, and about Unity, one of those that's always saying that people are freaking out over nothing, that Ubuntu's a great distro and that I've been using it for years with very few issues, that folks wouldn't run into problems at the Ubuntu forums if they'd just follow the rules and be cool, take it easy.

But, look: The first infraction should have never happened because I did not insult anyone, and it was appropriately reversed. The reason given for my second infraction was "inappropriate language," but there was nothing inappropriate about the words I wrote. Now, instead, you say that my comment came across to the staff as "passive aggressive." That is open to interpretation, and I feel that the interpretation was wrong, especially since I was only saying what I "wish," and not trying to provoke anyone. In any case it is not the same as using inappropriate language, so the second infraction should be reversed as well.

In discussing this with others, I've been warned that any reply to all of this stating my disagreement with these infractions might lead to my account being deleted. I scoffed at that; why would anyone delete my account because I expressed my disagreement? But then you state, "I suggest you move on and consider this matter over," which hints at further action being taken if I don't drop it.

Look, I know you folks are busy, and that you get a lot of undeserved flack from people, and that this second infraction is relatively minor and it won't mean much to me in the long run. I haven't been one to one run into trouble with you folks, and I certainly don't intend for that to happen now. I've never been booted from any Linux forum, and I certainly don't want the first time to happen at these forums -- I'm tied at the hip with Ubuntu, I've enjoyed using it tremendously, and I've enjoyed participating at these forums.

But it's wrong to hand out infractions just because someone might disagree with an action that was taken here. It's wrong to accuse someone of insulting the staff when there were no insults. It's wrong to give someone an infraction for inappropriate language when no such language was used. And it was quite questionable to label my comments as "passive aggressive."

Thanks for listening; I've had my say and I don't intend to give you any more grief about this. Do what you think is right, but I really hope you won't take all of this the wrong way and decide that you must delete my account. It would be easy enough to force your hands on that, but I didn't take the time to write all this for that purpose -- the whole point is to say, "Hey, guys, chill out a bit!" From a true friend of Ubuntu to another group of human beings, okay? Take care.