Thread: nvidia geforce 9800gt

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Exclamation nvidia geforce 9800gt

I have recently upgraded to an nvidia geforce 9800gt, but when i turn it on I just get black screen. On my monitor there is a green LED that is flashing (this usually happens when my monitor is on but my computer isn't or it isn't connected. I am using a small dvi to vga (or D-SUB?(the little blue one)) adaptor could this be the problem?
    Last edited by MilesEpps; October 5th, 2011 at 05:07 PM. Reason: adding info

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: nvidia geforce 9800gt

I have a 9600GT and have to use nomodeset. Early versions just put monitor to sleep & system was still installing. I only knew that as I used USB flash and I could see it was still working for a long time. Then recent versions just seem to have black screen. But once nVidia driver is installed it works great.

How to set NOMODESET and other kernel boot options in grub2
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1613132
    I had to do this with my Nvidia 9600GT:
    To install Ubuntu, boot from the cd press any key at accessibility circle and keyboard, press F6 and then select the nomodeset option.
    USB boot - At the menu press tab on the first option to edit the boot options and replaced the 'splash' option with 'nomodeset'.
    then
    On first boot after install, press e on getting the GRUB bootloader.
    Hold shift from BIOS boot to get menu if only one system installed.
    Using arrow keys navigate to and delete quiet and splash and type the word nomodeset in their place
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro

I think the problem might be my adapter, should i use a bigger "proper" one

Beans
    Distro

I have tried to use a boot cd but i still have black screen , could it be my adapter?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

My monitor uses DVI and I just used the cable that came with the card. Not sure if adapter makes a difference or not.

Did you use nomodeset?
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro

I can't my screen is black (I have an adapter because my monitor is vga), boot cd's don't work. the led light on my monitor is flashing (meaning that my monitor is not connected to my computer) but it is connected. Is it possible that there isn't enough power supply, I have a pretty old computer (i don't know exactly what computer because i can't find it online but it's an imedia) so... + I get 1 long beep and three short beeps on startup.
    Last edited by MilesEpps; October 6th, 2011 at 01:30 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Beeps from motherboard mean something, but without manual it is difficult to tell exactly what that is. But it sound like it is telling you something is not connected or has failed.

Double check that all connections are secure. Sometimes removing memory, cleaning & replacing, and just confirming everything is correctly installed.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MilesEpps View Post
    Is it possible that there isn't enough power supply, I have a pretty old computer (i don't know exactly what computer because i can't find it online but it's an imedia) so... + I get 1 long beep and three short beeps on startup.
    I'd guess that it's a power problem, too. Modern video cards like a lot of watts. I'd suggest visiting the manufacturer's site and see if you can read a manual for your computer online. It may tell you what the one-long/three-short code means.

Beans
    Distro

the problem is, i don't know what computer i have so figuring things like this out is pretty hard.
    Last edited by MilesEpps; October 6th, 2011 at 06:56 PM.