Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 47

Thread: A question regarding ufw

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Beans
    1,531

    Re: A question regarding ufw

    How many times do you want an answer?

    By default, ufw will apply rules to all available interfaces.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Beans
    414

    Re: A question regarding ufw

    Quote Originally Posted by Ms. Daisy View Post
    How many times do you want an answer?
    Hello,

    What I understood is that the statement "By default, ufw will apply rules to all available interfaces" is applicable only for user added rules. What I mean by user added rules are rules such as the one where the user tells the ufw/Gufw firewall to accept all inbound network traffic from a certain ip address or the one where the user tells the ufw/Gufw firewall to accept all network traffic inbound on a certain port number.

    What I am asking is about the default incoming and outgoing rules we set up when we enable/activate ufw initially and then do the initial configuration of ufw. I have set up these default rules as incoming:deny and outgoing:allow(i.e. deny all incoming connections and allow all outgoing connections). Are these default incoming and outgoing rules for ufw also independent of which network interface is used to make the connection to the internet? More specifically, what I am asking is that once I set up the above mentioned default incoming and outgoing rules for ufw, will the ufw firewall enforce these rules and protect my laptop from the internet traffic irrespective of whether I'm using my laptop's wired ethernet network interface or my laptop's wireless network interface to connect to the internet.
    Last edited by jsvidyad; January 27th, 2013 at 05:45 PM.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The Shadow Gallery
    Beans
    6,782

    Re: A question regarding ufw

    Quote Originally Posted by jsvidyad View Post
    Hello,

    What I understood is that the statement "By default, ufw will apply rules to all available interfaces" is applicable only for user added rules. What I mean by user added rules are rules such as the one where the user tells the ufw/Gufw firewall to accept all inbound network traffic from a certain ip address or the one where the user tells the ufw/Gufw firewall to accept all network traffic inbound on a certain port number.

    What I am asking is about the default incoming and outgoing rules we set up when we enable/activate Gufw initially and then do the initial configuration of Gufw. I have set up these default rules as incoming:deny and outgoing:allow(i.e. deny all incoming connections and allow all outgoing connections). Are these default incoming and outgoing rules for Gufw also independent of which network interface is used to make the connection to the internet? More specifically, what I am asking is that once I set up the above mentioned default incoming and outgoing rules for Gufw, will the Gufw firewall enforce these rules and protect my laptop from the internet traffic irrespective of whether I'm using my laptop's wired ethernet network interface or my laptop's wireless network interface to connect to the internet.
    unless you specify otherwise, rules apply to all available interfaces.


    Code:
    man ufw
    Last edited by haqking; January 27th, 2013 at 03:08 PM.
    Feel Free to Bitcoin Tip: 135Rp4pwwYTHEJ4u8bxKaDQiC91N9LUoV2

    Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Beans
    414

    Re: A question regarding ufw

    Quote Originally Posted by haqking View Post
    unless you specify otherwise, rules apply to all available interfaces.


    Code:
    man ufw
    So, what you are saying is that the default incoming and outgoing rules I set for the ufw firewall(incoming:deny and outgoing:allow) will be applied and effective and will protect my computer irrespective of through which network interface the computer is connected to the internet?
    Last edited by jsvidyad; January 27th, 2013 at 05:41 PM.

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Beans
    10

    Re: A question regarding ufw

    jsvidyad - YES - exactly as you said it!!!

    In ufw you can configure rules to a selected/specific interfaces. e.g. -
    eth - [Direct cable connection to a router] differentiated by number 0,1,2... to as many as you have
    wlan - [Wireless connection to a router] differentiated by number 0,1,2... to as many as you have

    SO AS LONG AS YOU HAVE NOT MANUALLY SPECIFIED IT THEN IT APPLIES TO ALL REGARDLESS {inclusive and irrespective any/all of eth{0,1,2...} wlan{0,1,2...}

    CLEAR?
    Last edited by conquerorodueko; January 28th, 2013 at 09:42 PM.

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Beans
    414

    Re: A question regarding ufw

    Yes, it's clear. A couple more questions.

    1) What you said applies to both ufw and Gufw, right? For both ufw and Gufw, the default incoming and outgoing rules I set of incoming:deny and outgoing:allow will apply and be effective for all the network interfaces of my computer and will protect my computer irrespective of through which network interface my computer is connected to the internet, right? And for both ufw and Gufw, any firewall rules I set, which does not explicitly specify any specific network interface, will apply to all network interfaces and will be applied and be in effect irrespective of through which network interface my computer is connected to the internet, right?

    2) You said that the default incoming and outgoing rules and the user added rules, which do not explicitly specify any specific network interface, will be effective and applied irrespective of through which network interface my computer is connected to the internet, right? Does this imply that if I switch between using my laptop's wired ethernet interface or my laptop's wireless interface to connect to the internet, I do not have to re-configure or change any of the settings in ufw? I can just switch to using a different network interface for internet access without changing any of the firewall settings?

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The Shadow Gallery
    Beans
    6,782

    Re: A question regarding ufw

    Quote Originally Posted by jsvidyad View Post
    Yes, it's clear. A couple more questions.

    1) What you said applies to both ufw and Gufw, right? For both ufw and Gufw, the default incoming and outgoing rules I set of incoming:deny and outgoing:allow will apply and be effective for all the network interfaces of my computer and will protect my computer irrespective of through which network interface my computer is connected to the internet, right? And for both ufw and Gufw, any firewall rules I set, which does not explicitly specify any specific network interface, will apply to all network interfaces and will be applied and be in effect irrespective of through which network interface my computer is connected to the internet, right?

    2) You said that the default incoming and outgoing rules and the user added rules, which do not explicitly specify any specific network interface, will be effective and applied irrespective of through which network interface my computer is connected to the internet, right? Does this imply that if I switch between using my laptop's wired ethernet interface or my laptop's wireless interface to connect to the internet, I do not have to re-configure or change any of the settings in ufw? I can just switch to using a different network interface for internet access without changing any of the firewall settings?
    are you trolling ?

    GUFW is just a GUI for UFW which is merely an interface to IPTables which is the built in firewall in the Linux kernel, UFW/GUFW is not a firewall on its own.

    and the rules will apply to all interfaces by default unless you ask them not to !!!!!!!!!!!! I dont know how to say this again in another way
    Feel Free to Bitcoin Tip: 135Rp4pwwYTHEJ4u8bxKaDQiC91N9LUoV2

    Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Beans
    414

    Re: A question regarding ufw

    No, I'm not trolling. I just want to be sure of some things.

    Since you say that Gufw is just a GUI for ufw, the statement that ufw rules will apply to all network interfaces unless that rule is specified as applying only to one particular network interface, will apply to Gufw rules too, right?

    Also, if the Gufw/ufw rules apply to all network interfaces unless that rule is specified as applying only to one particular network interface, doesn't that imply that when my computer switches from using one network interface to using another network interface for accessing the internet, I don't have to re-configure the Gufw/ufw firewall or change its settings or rules in any way in order to account for the change of internet connected network interface(Of course, assuming I haven't set any rules which apply only for a specific network interface)?

    Please answer the above two questions.
    Last edited by jsvidyad; January 29th, 2013 at 01:40 PM.

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The Shadow Gallery
    Beans
    6,782

    Re: A question regarding ufw

    Quote Originally Posted by jsvidyad View Post
    No, I'm not trolling. I just want to be sure of some things.

    Since you say that Gufw is just a GUI for ufw, the statement that ufw rules will apply to all network interfaces unless that rule is specified as applying only to one particular network interface, will apply to Gufw rules too, right?

    Also, if the Gufw/ufw rules apply to all network interfaces unless that rule is specified as applying only to one particular network interface, doesn't that imply that when my computer switches from using one network interface to using another network interface for accessing the internet, I don't have to re-configure the Gufw/ufw firewall or change its settings or rules in any way in order to account for the change of internet connected network interface(Of course, assuming I haven't set any rules which apply only for a specific network interface)?

    Please answer the above two questions.
    Rules will apply to ALL interfaces unless you specify otherwise.

    Please read it, digest it and then read it again, I cant think of another way to say the same thing again.
    Last edited by haqking; January 30th, 2013 at 10:47 AM.
    Feel Free to Bitcoin Tip: 135Rp4pwwYTHEJ4u8bxKaDQiC91N9LUoV2

    Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Beans
    414

    Re: A question regarding ufw

    Quote Originally Posted by haqking View Post
    Rules will apply to ALL interfaces unless you specify otherwise.
    Hello, I got what you are saying. But the above statement can lead to some inferences. My two questions are stating two of the inferences that can be drawn from the above statement and I'm just asking you to confirm that those inferences are correct. So, can you please read those two questions and reply specifically to them?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •