I just bought a new computer:

Gateway DX4860-UR21P
    Intel Core i7 processor 2600
    Windows 7 Premium 64 bit
    8 GB RAM, 1.5 TB HD
    NVIDIA GeForce GT520 1GB
    LAN - both integrated and wireless

Problems:

1. None of the Linux Distros recognizes the graphic card - All I get is a low resolution when running live CD.

2. Installed Ubuntu 10.04 LTS anyway hoping that after the installation Ubuntu will be able to find the appropriate driver for the graphic card - No luck!

3. Attempts to change the resolution resulted in a message that the monitor is unknown to the system. I have used this monitor with my old computer without any problem.

4. Internet is painfully slow - It takes more than three minutes to open a web page.

The system is running fine under W7. I am at a lost. I have been trying to figure out the problem, but with little luck so far. I would appreciate any help troubleshoot these problems.

Thank you!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Cannot run any version of Linux on the new Gateway computer

Run a live cd of 11.10 daily build. The new kernel may provide the drivers you need to function.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Oh and try fedora 15. It works great for me at times when ubuntu fails.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by collisionystm View Post
    Run a live cd of 11.10 daily build. The new kernel may provide the drivers you need to function.
    Yes, I did try this version already...same problems.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by collisionystm View Post
    Oh and try fedora 15. It works great for me at times when ubuntu fails.
    I have not tried Fedora in a long time, but did try Fuduntu without any luck.

Beans

You could download the newest drivers from the NVIDIA site http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us. Don't they'd work with a live CD, though, you'd probably have to do a HDD install of Ubuntu to test.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by PhilGil View Post
    You could download the newest drivers from the NVIDIA site http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us. Don't they'd work with a live CD, though, you'd probably have to do a HDD install of Ubuntu to test.
    Thank you...will do that tonight. I tried Fedora 16 live CD last night and, interestingly, internet speed was back to normal. I still do not understand why other distros had speed problem with my computer. I wonder if it is because both wired and wire-less were on at the same time. Although all of them selected wired Ethernet as default.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

you will be only able to run with the latest kernel (oneiric) + 285.05 nvidia driver (xorg-edgers ppa)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dino99 View Post
    you will be only able to run with the latest kernel (oneiric) + 285.05 nvidia driver (xorg-edgers ppa)
    I did try the latest kernel, but could not get the internet to work. Firefox could get to a main website, e.g. CNN.com, but then it would just sat there when I tried to open anything. Everything else on the computer, except for the low resolution graphic, was working ok.

I had the same problem for the following distros: All version of Ubuntu, Opensuse, PCLinuxOS, MacPuppy, all version of LinuxMint, Fuduntu, ArtistX, Scientific Linux, and a few other ones.
    Last edited by dnguyen1963; October 5th, 2011 at 05:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dnguyen1963 View Post
    I have not tried Fedora in a long time, but did try Fuduntu without any luck.
    If you try Fuduntu again, try enabling our testing repository and then doing a yum update. We are testing a lot of new packages including the most recent Xorg backported from Fedora 16.
    [ Fuduntu.org ] - [ Fuduntu Forum ] - [ Fuduntu Blog ] - [ Fuduntu Wiki ]

For a classic desktop with the latest apps, get Fuduntu!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast