Thread: Linux in VM on Windows

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Re: Linux in VM on Windows

Split from Screenshot thread.

Beans

I run Fuduntu in a VM on my windows desktop. It's nice.

Beans

I have no memory of crea-

Quote Originally Posted by Artificial Intelligence View Post
    Split from Screenshot thread.
    Well that explains it.

btw, some of the responses to this thread made me laugh
    No longer active here.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by el_koraco View Post
    I guess that makes some sense. Personally, I wouldn't bother, you can run most or all Linux programs in Windows or OSX, and once you fire up a browser, it's pretty much the same thing regardless of platform.
    Quote Originally Posted by dpny View Post
    Because it's fun to play with the OS. And virtualization's gotten so good you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between a virtual machine and hardware.
    It's the same reason I run Ubuntu on both of my computers, dual-booting them alongside Windows. Sure, most of the apps I have in Ubuntu are also available for Windows, I just like running something other than Windows.

Besides, Ubuntu runs faster on both my computers then both Windows XP and Windows 7, and is nowhere near as vulnerable to viruses and malware as Windows is (having 85-90% OS market share has its drawbacks).

I love how Ubuntu looks, I love how it works, and I love how easily I can change how it looks (in GNOME 2.x anyway). That's why I run Ubuntu far more than I run Windows... outside of my games and Photoshop.
    Last edited by viperdvman; October 4th, 2011 at 08:40 PM.

Beans

I run uBuntu on my iMac in VM Ware why? because I want to have access to uBuntu for various reason whilst I am using my iMac and I do not want to reboot and I don't want to run a "non ready" OS on my main production machine.

I also run various versions of Linux on my test machines using VM Ware for obvious reasons, testing being the primary.

For those who think using Virtual machines on a desktop is pointless, think again, it is very useful.
    This account is not active.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I own few Notebooks and about a dozen portable drives (they are all small from 250-500GB) everywhere I have something installed and on every OS I have a VM.
    On Win7 when I'm right now, I've 2 Ubuntus 11.04 and 11.10 plus an Iranian version of Ubuntu "AroOS" and while I'm writing this I'm installing Kubuntu 11.04...Cannot install my favored KDE apps on Ubuntu 11.04 so I'm trying to go the other way around..Try to install Full Gnome on Kubuntu 11.04...could not find any answer if that is possible with unity anywhere on the net but it is fun trying..

Linux is the way to fly...There is no way that you can have a running system for 6 months (like I once had such a run) without loosing a responsive beat on Windows.
    When Adobe makes CS 6 beta for Linux I might say goodbye to Windows for good.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Obstreperous October 2011 screenshots

I tried ubuntu in vbox with windows as the host, and windows choked on it. Absolutely horrible performance. But with linux as the host, and windows as the guest, it runs beautifully.

But I would buy a new computer if I had a machine that couldn't run linux properly. My computing freedoms are that important to me. Others not so much.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiNZ View Post
    I run uBuntu on my iMac in VM Ware why? because I want to have access to uBuntu for various reason whilst I am using my iMac and I do not want to reboot and I don't want to run a "non ready" OS on my main production machine.

I also run various versions of Linux on my test machines using VM Ware for obvious reasons, testing being the primary.

For those who think using Virtual machines on a desktop is pointless, think again, it is very useful.
    This.

Also, running Linux in a VM can be a way of "trialling" a distro to see what it's like and if it's really something you'd want to use before testing it on your actual hardware and installing it.

I also use virtual machines to use software designed for legacy operating systems (e.g. pre-XP releases of Windows, MS-DOS) without having to use things like compatibility layers or emulation. There are quite a few benefits to using virtual machines (either as testbeds or for running legacy software) that most of you haven't realized yet.
    No longer active here.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Quadunit404 View Post
    that most of you haven't realized yet.
    :bows at the expertize and experience:

I said I understand running OSiz for compatibility, testing and server virtualization. The compatibility part keeps a subset of users having Windows in a VM. That's also understandable. What I don't understand is the trend towards running lasting copies of Linux in WMs that's going on on these forums. But whatever, I also don't like tomatoes, and most people are crazy about them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12