Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 11.04 Create new wirelles network, and share 3g internet

Beans

Re: 11.04 Create new wirelles network, and share 3g internet

Quote Originally Posted by Aetasdk View Post
    Ah sorry, I get it now. I entered the information manually and it didn't work.
    mmm ok well save me typing it out.

see here http://www.ubuntugeek.com/creating-a...th-ubuntu.html, i checked quickly and it is all still valid.

not specifically for a phone connection.

here for a iphone to adhoc http://cjwin.100webcustomers.com/blo...intrepid-ibex/ though it is 8.10 it is still valid

but thinking about it you say you want to use your Phones 3g, why dont you just USB tether or better still set your phone as a wifi hotspot ?

using the phones 3g may violate the providers TOS though so be warned.
    Last edited by haqking; October 17th, 2011 at 07:08 PM.
    Feel Free to Bitcoin Tip: 135Rp4pwwYTHEJ4u8bxKaDQiC91N9LUoV2

Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

Beans

If you want to share your 3G (USB reciever?) internet connection you will not only need to establish a connection between your devices, but also do NAT (network address translation). DHCP will also be handy. Basically you need to convert your machine into a router.

Personally I'd use the package "hostapd" to convert your computer into a wireless accespoint, and then use "firestarter" to do routing and dhcp. No doubt you'll run into issues, but I know from personal experience that it's possible and once it works it's great.
    Last edited by Hulkiedulkie; October 17th, 2011 at 07:35 PM.

Beans

I have been working a great deal with several different guides, and one day I had the wireless visible for other devices, however, I had to start over again with a fresh installation, after a crash. So now Im back to scrach

I found out that ubuntu is not shipped with a dhcp server, so in order for that to work, I had to install one (isc-dhcp-server). Hereafter I had to configure:
    /etc/dhcp/dhcpd.conf
    /etc/network/interfaces
    /etc/rc.local

But the result seems to be the same, so if anyone can help me out, please let me know.

Thanks in advance.
    Philip

Beans

I upgraded to the latest Ubuntu 11.10, and the problem with my wifi was gone. Im now able to create a hotspot, however, I cannot get the DHCP server working. As this is beside the issue in this thread I will close it.

Beans

Is there a way to get it to work in Ubuntu 10.10?

I want to accomplish exactly the same but I have similar problems as described here. In my case the device I want to connect to the ad-hoc wifi network is an android tablet.

That is, I want:

android tablet <--[ad-hoc wifi]--> notebook(ubuntu) ->3G modem -> Internet

I have two issues:

1. When I create the adhoc network in ubuntu, the android won't see it. Even if I enter the information manually in the android, it won't connect.
    => how do I make the ad-hoc network visible to other devices?

2. When I connect ubuntu to the adhoc network, it looses internet connection (i.e. I can't open any web page in the browser) though it doesn't disconnect from the 3G network.
    I think the system erroneously tries to route internet traffic through the ad-hoc connection
    => how do I tell it to keep routing internet traffic through the 3G network interface??

I need to do this in 10.10, I'm not going to upgrade now

thanks in advance
    m.

Beans

I am unable to tether from 3g TMobile network to my Toshiba laptop running Ubuntu 11.04. Do you know what I need to manually add to the phone to make it work? The computer can't discover the network, but the 3g on the phone has worked instantly on other laptops. Any help would be great.

Quote Originally Posted by haqking View Post
    mmm ok well save me typing it out.

see here http://www.ubuntugeek.com/creating-a...th-ubuntu.html, i checked quickly and it is all still valid.

not specifically for a phone connection.

here for a iphone to adhoc http://cjwin.100webcustomers.com/blo...intrepid-ibex/ though it is 8.10 it is still valid

but thinking about it you say you want to use your Phones 3g, why dont you just USB tether or better still set your phone as a wifi hotspot ?

using the phones 3g may violate the providers TOS though so be warned.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12