Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gnome 3 fallback mode is great :) How long will it be available?

Beans

Gnome 3 fallback mode is great :) How long will it be available?

I tried gnome 3 awhile ago and while i was very happy with it, not all my computer were powerful enough to run it. I was disappointed by fallback mode at first as it seemed it wasn't very configurable but then i found out you can configure the panels just like before if you press alt while right clicking. I now can have gnome 3 fallback look and feel just like gnome 2. I do however wonder how long will the fallback mode be available? I'm sure they plan on phasing it out? Is it just a transition period that they are planning to use it for until people get computers with graphics cards that are capable of running the full Gnome 3 desktop? Either way, for the time being, it is a way of getting your desktop running just like before and i'm very happy i found out that it is more customizable that i had first thought Add in the Gnome tweak tool and it is actually quite customizable

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Gnome 3 fallback mode is great :) How long will it be available?

As long as Gnome 3 is around. They didn't mean to include it at first, but got convinced by all the complaints.

Beans

Development on Metacity and Gnome-panel was going to be abandoned, but this changed and now they are under active development. Gnome 3 fallback is not going anywhere any time soon.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Not all systems can handle the graphic requirement for full Gnome 3 so they have to provide a fallback mode. At first everybody seemed to want Gnome 2 as it, but the fallback mode isn't all that bad.
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Another option is adding the Xfce desktop packages. Xfce can be made to feel very much like Gnome 2 if you so desire. I'm up to 6 D.E. choices

1. Ubuntu (3D)
    2. Ubuntu (2D)
    3. Gnome (Shell)
    4. Gnome classic
    5. Gnome classic -no effects
    6. Xfce

Who said user choices went away in 11.10?
    Last edited by kurt18947; October 4th, 2011 at 03:52 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Is it possible to use the Gnome3 fallback mode even if you have a computer powerful enough to run Gnome Shell?

Edit:
    I know anything is possible; I guess I should ask do they make it easy?
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by forrestcupp View Post
    Is it possible to use the Gnome3 fallback mode even if you have a computer powerful enough to run Gnome Shell?

Edit:
    I know anything is possible; I guess I should ask do they make it easy?
    Gnome-session-fallback is in the repositories, all you have to do is install it, then choose it from the menu in lightdm, it couldn't get much easier. See the screenshot.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    Gnome-session-fallback is in the repositories, all you have to do is install it, then choose it from the menu in lightdm, it couldn't get much easier. See the screenshot.
    Oh, ok. I didn't realize it was the same thing as Gnome Classic. So they're keeping Gnome Classic, then? That's probably a good move.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by forrestcupp View Post
    Oh, ok. I didn't realize it was the same thing as Gnome Classic. So they're keeping Gnome Classic, then? That's probably a good move.
    It's not the same thing. Just the same name. The classic enviroment in 11.04 is Gnome 2.x with the panel turned on and the Unity compiz plugin turned off. The "Classic" fallback mode is Gnome3 with a different shell that is similar to the panel. It still doesn't have as many plugins yet.

One is gnome 2, and the other is gnome 3. It's still a huge difference (improvement, I should say). The desktop interface just works very similarly.
    Last edited by ninjaaron; October 4th, 2011 at 05:56 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ninjaaron View Post
    It's not the same thing. Just the same name. The classic enviroment in 11.04 is Gnome 2.x with the panel turned on and the Unity compiz plugin turned off. The "Classic" fallback mode is Gnome3 with a different shell that is similar to the panel. It still doesn't have as many plugins yet.

One is gnome 2, and the other is gnome 3. It's still a huge difference (improvement, I should say). The desktop interface just works very similarly.
    The fallback mode in Gnome 3 does use Gnome-panel and Metacity ported to GTK3. Not all applets have been ported yet, but fallback mode is 90% the same as Gnome 2.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast