Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Gnome 3 fallback mode is great :) How long will it be available?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Gnome 3 fallback mode is great :) How long will it be available?

Quote Originally Posted by LowSky View Post
    Who can't run gnome-shell? My one core Intel atom netbook with poor Intel graphics runs gnome-shell.
    Gnome shell and Unity both will not run on my laptop.

Actually, Ubuntu hasn't given me destkop effects since 9.10. Ubuntu 10.04 booted to a black-screen-of-death; it would just lock up the whole system completely unless you do some tricks. Ubuntu 10.10 and onward has at least booted, but no effects.

OpenSUSE was bit that same year, and has had gotten running without effects a little quicker. The 11.4 version would TRY to use desktop effects but there was a lot of issues with things blanking out, and other problems (works fine once DEs are turned off). I don't know if they have any additional updates to improve this.

Fedora up to 14 actually do give desktop effects (even if can be spotty), but 15 did not. It booted, but did not give the effects. It is probably, currently, the smoothest running on this laptop.

So in answer to who does it not work for, it does not work for me. And your Atom chipped net/notebook is a lot newer than what I have running (Pent M).
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

Beans

Who can't run gnome-shell? My one core Intel atom netbook with poor Intel graphics runs gnome-shell.
    Gnome-shell won't run on my AMD 2500+ with Nvidia FX5200 card (nvidia-173 drivers).

Beans

No Gnome Shell for me, either. On my home computer, I can't enable 3D effects with my Radeon HD 3650 graphics card. When I install the proprietary drivers my computer boots to a frozen black screen. The graphics on my office computer are just too old to run desktop effects.

There's many users that can't or won't run 3D drivers. I hope the Gnome devs don't abandon us.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by PhilGil View Post
    I hope the Gnome devs don't abandon us.
    That's why there's fallback mode.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by wolfen69 View Post
    That's why there's fallback mode.
    Unless dingledorf decides to ditch Fallback... Unity stinks.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ozone702 View Post
    Unless dingledorf decides to ditch Fallback... Unity stinks.
    In which case we hope that the Xfce and LXDE people don't lose interest

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ozone702 View Post
    Upgrade to 11.04 really bummed me out. They trashed all my Compiz Configurations, which I didn't have backed up... now I'm struggling to get my desktop behavior back to where it was.

Oh, and why kill Open Office and replace it with LibreOffice? I can see installing Libre on a NEW install, but for God's sakes, leave Open Office alone on upgrades... WTH.

I also had to slow down my Conky load at startup. I had to re-install Mint Menu. And why does Mint Menu load so slow on startup now? In fact, my whole boot process in 11.04 has increased by a magnitude of over 100%. I used to cold boot to a login in 12 seconds, now it takes 30? Come on guys, you're losing me here.

And the last thing I'll say is this. Anyone who says they like Unity, doesn't use a computer. The move to Unity is dumb, dumber, and dumbest.
    So you don't like Unity, truthfully we don't care, but calling people dumb for using it goes against the forum Code of Conduct.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    So you don't like Unity, truthfully we don't care, but calling people dumb for using it goes against the forum Code of Conduct.
    Actually, although I'll admit the sentence is open to more than one interpretation if you are just LOOKING for an excuse to pout, it seems obvious to me that it is the DEVELOPERS he's implying are being dumb. But if you feel the shoe fits, I'm sure he won't mind if you try it on. Maybe some insensitivity training is in order.

And for what it is worth, I agree with both his assessment of Unity and that the probability of a user liking it will most likely on the average vary inversely with the amount of experience they have using a desktop computer. That isn't an insult but simply a rational estimate of probabilities based on perceptions of cause and effect. It is certainly a reasonable conjecture that a style of UI recently developed primarily to deal with the physical limitations of tablets and phones, is less likely to facilitate the most effective use of a desktop setup than a style of UI that has evolved through a great deal of trial and error FOR desktop setups over a much greater length of time.

Nor would it be surprising if people with more experience working with computers are less likely to be impressed by eyecandy special effects and novelty for novelty's sake that at best contribute nothing to function and in many cases waste system resources to the degree that a more expensive rig will be needed to achieve the same level of functionality, not to mention requiring a waste of the user's time.

In stating what YOU (or "ye" if you prefer archaic pedantry) don't care about, truthfully or otherwise, I think it would be more appropriate to use a singular pronoun and just speak for yourself unless you claim to be speaking for some group of which you are a designated spokesperson. I certainly am not a part of any "we" that you have a right to speak for. On the contrary, I think trying to call people on the carpet for an honest statement of opinion about the direction of development of the software that is the basic topic of these forums is far more offensive and childish than saying that the direction of development is dumb.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

In order to like unity one needs an open mind and the ability to adapt to something different and the patience to get used to something that isn't exactly the same as what one has been using for years...

Some just resist any form of change...makes them feel uncomfortable...so they closed their mind...if you go into using Unity with a negative attitude, of course you won't like it

I didn't think i'd like it when i first tried it and reading all those negative comments didn't help...but i kept an open mind and after about a week i began to really like it a lot...
    Last edited by craig10x; February 20th, 2012 at 01:10 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamer Fithp Apprentice View Post
    Actually, although I'll admit the sentence is open to more than one interpretation if you are just LOOKING for an excuse to pout, it seems obvious to me that it is the DEVELOPERS he's implying are being dumb. But if you feel the shoe fits, I'm sure he won't mind if you try it on. Maybe some insensitivity training is in order.

And for what it is worth, I agree with both his assessment of Unity and that the probability of a user liking it will most likely on the average vary inversely with the amount of experience they have using a desktop computer. That isn't an insult but simply a rational estimate of probabilities based on perceptions of cause and effect. It is certainly a reasonable conjecture that a style of UI recently developed primarily to deal with the physical limitations of tablets and phones, is less likely to facilitate the most effective use of a desktop setup than a style of UI that has evolved through a great deal of trial and error FOR desktop setups over a much greater length of time.

Nor would it be surprising if people with more experience working with computers are less likely to be impressed by eyecandy special effects and novelty for novelty's sake that at best contribute nothing to function and in many cases waste system resources to the degree that a more expensive rig will be needed to achieve the same level of functionality, not to mention requiring a waste of the user's time.

In stating what YOU (or "ye" if you prefer archaic pedantry) don't care about, truthfully or otherwise, I think it would be more appropriate to use a singular pronoun and just speak for yourself unless you claim to be speaking for some group of which you are a designated spokesperson. I certainly am not a part of any "we" that you have a right to speak for. On the contrary, I think trying to call people on the carpet for an honest statement of opinion about the direction of development of the software that is the basic topic of these forums is far more offensive and childish than saying that the direction of development is dumb.
    This is a community if you haven't noticed yet, I'd suggest you read the forum Code of Conduct, as you obviously didn't, when you agreed to it when you create your account, especially this part:

The purpose of the Ubuntu Forums is to provide support for Ubuntu. We also want this to be a place where community can develop and we can enjoy one another's company. To achieve this, we strive to maintain an atmosphere that can be enjoyed by all and we ask all members of the community to be respectful at all times. This means please use etiquette and politeness. Treat people with kindness, gentleness and respect. If you do this, the rest of the code of conduct won't need more than a cursory mention.
    As I stated earlier, we as a community don't really care if you like or dislike Untiy, there enough desktop environments to satisfy everyone. If Unity doesn't work for you try one of the others, you don't even have to do a complete re-install.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast