Thread: Gnome 3 fallback mode is great :) How long will it be available?

Hybrid View

Beans

Gnome 3 fallback mode is great :) How long will it be available?

I tried gnome 3 awhile ago and while i was very happy with it, not all my computer were powerful enough to run it. I was disappointed by fallback mode at first as it seemed it wasn't very configurable but then i found out you can configure the panels just like before if you press alt while right clicking. I now can have gnome 3 fallback look and feel just like gnome 2. I do however wonder how long will the fallback mode be available? I'm sure they plan on phasing it out? Is it just a transition period that they are planning to use it for until people get computers with graphics cards that are capable of running the full Gnome 3 desktop? Either way, for the time being, it is a way of getting your desktop running just like before and i'm very happy i found out that it is more customizable that i had first thought Add in the Gnome tweak tool and it is actually quite customizable

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Gnome 3 fallback mode is great :) How long will it be available?

As long as Gnome 3 is around. They didn't mean to include it at first, but got convinced by all the complaints.

Beans

Development on Metacity and Gnome-panel was going to be abandoned, but this changed and now they are under active development. Gnome 3 fallback is not going anywhere any time soon.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Not all systems can handle the graphic requirement for full Gnome 3 so they have to provide a fallback mode. At first everybody seemed to want Gnome 2 as it, but the fallback mode isn't all that bad.
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Another option is adding the Xfce desktop packages. Xfce can be made to feel very much like Gnome 2 if you so desire. I'm up to 6 D.E. choices

1. Ubuntu (3D)
    2. Ubuntu (2D)
    3. Gnome (Shell)
    4. Gnome classic
    5. Gnome classic -no effects
    6. Xfce

Who said user choices went away in 11.10?
    Last edited by kurt18947; October 4th, 2011 at 03:52 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Is it possible to use the Gnome3 fallback mode even if you have a computer powerful enough to run Gnome Shell?

Edit:
    I know anything is possible; I guess I should ask do they make it easy?
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by kurt18947 View Post
    Another option is adding the Xfce desktop packages. Xfce can be made to feel very much like Gnome 2 if you so desire. I'm up to 6 D.E. choices

1. Ubuntu (3D)
    2. Ubuntu (2D)
    3. Gnome (Shell)
    4. Gnome classic
    6. Xfce

What is the point of having 6 DEs installed... or are you just testing them out to see what you like?
    Do you folks like coffee?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kurt18947 View Post

1. Ubuntu (3D)
    2. Ubuntu (2D)
    3. Gnome (Shell)
    4. Gnome classic
    6. Xfce

Nice! Here's my DE choices:
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. GNOME Classic.
    2. GNOME Classic - no effects.
    3. MATE.
    4. Ubuntu (Default).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Could always install more, but I'm good with what I got, prefer MATE outta all of them, but installed GNOME Classic as something to fall back on upon the eventual upgrade to Raring Ringtail, so that I could either stick with it, or reinstall MATE, as for Cinnamon, it's great, but the panel looked a little cluttered on my small monitor (15" 4x3 LCD flat panel) and the double-panel configuration like what comes with GNOME Classic or MATE just seems to work better on a monitor of that size, IMO, and to take the sticking with the traditional metaphor even further, in 13.04, I may get rid of Unity in favor of GNOME Classic and MATE.

In addition, might see about redistributing that config as a Ubuntu Classic Remix - modern Ubuntu with two iterations of the classic GNOME 2-style DE included by default: GNOME Classic for those that want GNOME 3, but dislike the GNOME Shell or Unity-style interface, and MATE for those that want straight-up GNOME 2, if you will, unless that was already done, then nvm.

Of course LightDM would be used instead of GDM, and the default DE would be GNOME Classic, and as for advanced tweaks, that's where the Tweak Tool would come in, so it would be included as a default option as well. The whole list of default software to be included with said respin is listed below.
    1. Tweak Tool.
    2. Synaptic.
    3. Software Center.
    4. Gparted.
    5. GIMP.
    6. MyPaint.
    7. Inkscape.
    8. Pinta.
    9. Synfig.
    10. Chromium instead of Firefox.
    11. Empathy.
    12. Gwibber (or whatever the 13.04 alternative is).
    13. Xchat.
    14. LibreOffice.
    15. Brasero.
    16. VLC instead of Rhythmbox.
    17. Shotwell.
    18. Freeciv.

Now of course the default theme would be Ambiance for GNOME Classic, and whatever for MATE. Default file manager would depend on the DE - Nautilus of course for GNOME Classic, and Caja for MATE.
    Last edited by TeamRocket1233c; April 24th, 2013 at 02:53 PM. Reason: Update.
    Metal: HP dc5750 | OS: Arch Linux 32-bit | Kernel: 3.14.0-1-ARCH | 1.8GHz AMD Sempron 3400+ | 1.5GiB RAM | 80GiB HDD | DM/DE combo: LXDM + MATE.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by JohneG View Post
    i found out you can configure the panels just like before if you press alt while right clicking. I now can have gnome 3 fallback look and feel just like gnome 2.
    This is something a lot of people don't realize. They just want to cry about gnome 2 not being supported anymore instead of actually trying G3 and tweaking it to be like G2.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome Development Release

Thread closed. Please do not post in old threads.