Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Jupiter Applet is Great. What a difference.

Re: Jupiter Applet is Great! What a difference!!!

Quote Originally Posted by argument View Post
    For me Jupiter really slowed down my eee pc 1005 when unplugged. It took me months to find out what the problem was. I would not recommend using Jupiter.
    Did you ask anyone for help? I could have told you why had you asked.

The "Power Savings Mode" should have been a clue.

I'm sorry you don't recommend using Jupiter, but you could have tried harder.
    [ Fuduntu.org ] - [ Fuduntu Forum ] - [ Fuduntu Blog ] - [ Fuduntu Wiki ]

For a classic desktop with the latest apps, get Fuduntu!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hi Fuduntu:

I have an idea regarding jupiter and so thought i'd post it here. This stems from an article thats just been posted on webupd8 (http://www.webupd8.org/2012/05/2-way...y-disable.html).

Sorry for having no technical knowledge of how to do this myself, but do you think it would be possible for Jupiter to include an option to turn off the screen-saver or turn off option to dim the screen when on battery to save power (these are both Ubuntu options).

If something like this could just be dropped into the list of options which currently refer to the trackpad, wifi and bluetooth, in Jupiter, i think it'd be really useful. Certainly it'd be inferior to working scripts described on webupd8 but it might be easier and would certainly be sufficient for me.

Not sure if this is possible or easily implementatible..
    Thinkpad x131e

neu5eeCh is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Oh... I was wondering where this thread was.

I didn't know where to file a potential bug report, but I'll mention the issue here. I've noticed on my own laptop (and a friend's) that when we hooked up our laptop to an external monitor and later disconnected, Jupiter defaulted to the external monitor's resolution on the internal laptop-screen.

Curiously, resetting the correct resolution only sticks if the resetting is done through Jupiter.

I also notice that Jupiter is failing to correctly recognize my screen resolutions. It currently reports my resolution as being 1366x768, though my laptop is only capable of 1280x768. It appears to be a "clerical error", since everything is working fine?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by argument View Post
    For me Jupiter really slowed down my eee pc 1005 when unplugged. It took me months to find out what the problem was. I would not recommend using Jupiter.
    That's just silly.

Jupiter works soo great for me it's now one of the first things I install on any computer i install Ubuntu on.. which is many! lol

Never had an issue, It always makes things better, not worse.

It's really quite simple to understand why that happened to you. O_o
    5.5 GB's Free Ubuntu-One Cloud Storage~
    Click Here

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by fuduntu View Post
    Did you ask anyone for help? I could have told you why had you asked.

The "Power Savings Mode" should have been a clue.

I'm sorry you don't recommend using Jupiter, but you could have tried harder.
    Lol! +10.
    5.5 GB's Free Ubuntu-One Cloud Storage~
    Click Here

Beans

Hello fuduntu!!!

Thanks for this awesome applet!! Before using it, my laptop was suffering from overheating; now by using the "power on demand" mode, the situation is solved; sometimes I use the power saving mode when I am not watching videos (which tend to be too slow on that mode), but definitely my problem with constant overheating is fixed (of course, I guess there can be improvements in that "power on demand" mode).

However, there are some feature requests I would like you to examine; perhaps, if you manage to solve it it would be incredible for lots of linux users. I list them in order of importance (because of the lack of alternatives we have)

1. Manage Screen Brightness: For example, in Ubuntu 12.04 lots of users have reported they cannot change screen brightness (I use Lubuntu and I am experimenting this problem, which I didn't have in Lubuntu 11.10; Xubuntu users are suffering this too) and keys don't work. Besides that, it has always been a very difficult problem to set the brightness to a fixed value on startup. In my case I had a solution involving editing rc.local which worked fine in 11.10, but not now. Your application edit some configuration files to improve power management; this will be the case with Screen Brightness.

2. Suspend Mode: Ubuntu users are having a problem with this. For example, in my case I can suspend the computer, but when I try to wake it up, my screen remains black and I am forced to do a hard reboot, so I am resigned that when I close the lid, the computer does nothing to save energy, because any attempts to make suspend work fail.

Note: Of course this point is extremely important, but I put it in second place, because I feel the first one -screen brightness- should be easier to solve and include in Jupiter's features.

3. Disable screensaver for specific tasks (or at list a single option to manually disable the screensaver with a mouse click): I would like to watch movies, for example or do some other tasks and be able to tell the program that I don't want to activate the screensaver. In my case, for example, I use Xscreensaver. However, if I try to use gnome-mplayer and want to disable the screen saver while watching video, the only solution I receive are like: "you need to install gnome-power-manager and gnome-screensaver to make it work". In other words, to install heavy programs I don't need (and force me to install lots of dependencies I don't need -specially because the belong to a different DE !!!-) just to solve something that might require only editing some configuration files (of course, you need to be an expert to know how to solve it).

--------------

The third point illustrates a reason why applications like Jupiter are very important. Currently, to solve specific problems in power management, users are being forced to install lots of programs and lots of dependencies (and some of them depend on files from a different desktop environment) because the real and simpler solutions are unknown to the public. In lots of linux forums we see different "solutions" that work in some cases and don't work in others and we end up copying fixes from one site or another, editing grub lines at random, etc, without knowing which alternatives really work in general.

The fact that Jupiter is independent from the DE and is really solving some of these problems, make us hopeful to fix one the biggest issues that every Linux user has.

Thanks for your attention and hopefully (fuduntu) you can read this message, answer it and help us all with your expertise. have a nice day.

-
    Last edited by Sacolevas; June 3rd, 2012 at 03:49 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Sacolevas View Post
    Hello fuduntu!!!

Thanks for this awesome applet!! Before using it, my laptop was suffering from overheating; now by using the "power on demand" mode, the situation is solved; sometimes I use the power saving mode when I am not watching videos (which tend to be too slow on that mode), but definitely my problem with constant overheating is fixed (of course, I guess there can be improvements in that "power on demand" mode).

However, there are some feature requests I would like you to examine; perhaps, if you manage to solve it it would be incredible for lots of linux users. I list them in order of importance (because of the lack of alternatives we have)

1. Manage Screen Brightness: For example, in Ubuntu 12.04 lots of users have reported they cannot change screen brightness (I use Lubuntu and I am experimenting this problem, which I didn't have in Lubuntu 11.10; Xubuntu users are suffering this too) and keys don't work. Besides that, it has always been a very difficult problem to set the brightness to a fixed value on startup. In my case I had a solution involving editing rc.local which worked fine in 11.10, but not now. Your application edit some configuration files to improve power management; this will be the case with Screen Brightness.

2. Suspend Mode: Ubuntu users are having a problem with this. For example, in my case I can suspend the computer, but when I try to wake it up, my screen remains black and I am forced to do a hard reboot, so I am resigned that when I close the lid, the computer does nothing to save energy, because any attempts to make suspend work fail.

Note: Of course this point is extremely important, but I put it in second place, because I feel the first one -screen brightness- should be easier to solve and include in Jupiter's features.

3. Disable screensaver for specific tasks (or at list a single option to manually disable the screensaver with a mouse click): I would like to watch movies, for example or do some other tasks and be able to tell the program that I don't want to activate the screensaver. In my case, for example, I use Xscreensaver. However, if I try to use gnome-mplayer and want to disable the screen saver while watching video, the only solution I receive are like: "you need to install gnome-power-manager and gnome-screensaver to make it work". In other words, to install heavy programs I don't need (and force me to install lots of dependencies I don't need -specially because the belong to a different DE !!!-) just to solve something that might require only editing some configuration files (of course, you need to be an expert to know how to solve it).

--------------

The third point illustrates a reason why applications like Jupiter are very important. Currently, to solve specific problems in power management, users are being forced to install lots of programs and lots of dependencies (and some of them depend on files from a different desktop environment) because the real and simpler solutions are unknown to the public. In lots of linux forums we see different "solutions" that work in some cases and don't work in others and we end up copying fixes from one site or another, editing grub lines at random, etc, without knowing which alternatives really work in general.

The fact that Jupiter is independent from the DE and is really solving some of these problems, make us hopeful to fix one the biggest issues that every Linux user has.

Thanks for your attention and hopefully (fuduntu) you can read this message, answer it and help us all with your expertise. have a nice day.

-
    Seconded I've been searching for weeks for a solution to screen brightness at startup, and was hoping Jupiter contained such a fix. I've tried just about every "solution" I can find but have yet to find one that actually works

To Jupiters developer; great application, but it could further increase battery life, dramatically, by having backlight settings built in, as its one of the top consumers in a laptop. Don't know if this will help or not but I found this python scrip in one of my searches http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...4#post11994054 the script didn't work for me but that's likely due to my lack of knowledge of the implementation. Someone such as yourself with an understanding of python and the inner working of the OS could likely perfect the process.
    What I'm dealin' with:
    HP Pavilion G6-1D60US, dual booted: Ubuntu 16.04 64bit, & Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit, 640 gig HDD, 4 gig RAM

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

How I get a black icon for Jupiter applet? Anyone know this?
    Intel Core2Duo 2.20 GHz || 4 GB DDR3 RAM
    nVidia GT 240M 1 GB || 320 GB SATA Hard Disk

Beans
    Hidden!

I have some issues with the latest Jupiter version (0.1.4) on my laptop Asus K52Jc. First of all Jupiter sees one internal display and one external, but I only have the laptop one. Then Jupiter now interferes with some Fn keys on my keyboard: for example if I use the hotkeys to adjust the volume, Jupiter changes my video displays in use, it switches from internal/external/both displays (clone), etc.
    For this reason I get many notices and the screen occasionally goes blank to change the display mode used. Nothing problematic but very annoying... please fix

Edit: btw I'm on Ubuntu 12.04 x64 .

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Huh. Weird. I don't use Jupiter's display settings, but I don't get that at all.

With the recent update, Jupiter started spamming my notification tray again (under Shell). Blanked /usr/lib/jupiter/scripts/notify again. I sort of wish that was an option.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast