Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Jupiter Applet is Great. What a difference.

Re: Jupiter Applet is Great! What a difference!!!

Quote Originally Posted by fyfe54 View Post
    I installed v 0.0.50 too, and it works beautifully.

I have one issue however. My laptop's CPU is reported as running at 50500C in Power Saving mode, which is probably wrong as I do not have a hole melted through my leg.
    It just pulls the metric from the kernel as reported. It doesn't change it. The kernel module for your fan must be misreporting.
    [ Fuduntu.org ] - [ Fuduntu Forum ] - [ Fuduntu Blog ] - [ Fuduntu Wiki ]

For a classic desktop with the latest apps, get Fuduntu!

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Pogeymanz View Post
    What would you argue are the reasons for using Jupiter over laptop-mode-tools?
    Jupiter actually saves power, while laptop-mode-tools is only there as a placeholder for interfacing with acpid scripts, i.e. it's using deprecated technology. LMT is also useless without a knowledge of bash and kernel parameters, as well as a power manager, like the Gnome or XFCE one. Jupiter, on the other hand, comes with its own set of clean and very audible scripts that you can easily change. For instance, I figured out how to control parameters of the "Maximum Performance" mode just by peaking at the script, while with LMT you gotta go into the config file, cross-reference it with /etc/acpi scripts, and try to figure out what to hell is actually going on.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hi,

After reading such positive things i had to give this a try.

So i installed from the webupd8 ppa and Jupiter appears to be running. Unfortunately however, i appear to have no access to the applet, meaning i can't seem to configure anything.

When i installed i got the stuff about loging in again. When i did so, i got the power saving mode info, but i can't seem to see the settings: no applet in the panel.

Is there something i haven't done?
    Thinkpad x131e

Quote Originally Posted by MorrisseyJ View Post
    Hi,

After reading such positive things i had to give this a try.

So i installed from the webupd8 ppa and Jupiter appears to be running. Unfortunately however, i appear to have no access to the applet, meaning i can't seem to configure anything.

When i installed i got the stuff about loging in again. When i did so, i got the power saving mode info, but i can't seem to see the settings: no applet in the panel.

Is there something i haven't done?
    Sounds like it didn't white list itself.

Take a look here - http://www.fewt.com/2011/03/whitelis...llow-apps.html

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Thanks for this.

I am not particularly well versed in linux so could you do a little hand-holding for me.

I have copied the file to gedit and saved it as 'whitelist'; saved it as a hidden file in my home directory.

Questions:
    1. Is the correct code for making the file executable

chmod 755 /.whitelist
    2. How do i make Jupiter call the script?

3. do the questions i have asked above indicate that i have understood the page you linked to...?

Thanks and sorry about my ineptitude.
    Thinkpad x131e

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

For reasons that aren't related to Jupiter, i had to do a fresh reinstall. When i did and reinstalled Jupiter it went into the sys tray without a problem.

This is a wonderful little applet. Thanks so much for developing it.

fuduntu, I am not sure if you'd be interested in this, but i was thinking of sending a tip to the people at OMG Ubuntu about running a piece on Jupiter and possibly even fuduntu - which i will give a try at some point soon by the way.

Before simply going to them i thought i'd mention it on here and see if you had any objections/reservations.
    Thinkpad x131e

Quote Originally Posted by MorrisseyJ View Post
    For reasons that aren't related to Jupiter, i had to do a fresh reinstall. When i did and reinstalled Jupiter it went into the sys tray without a problem.

This is a wonderful little applet. Thanks so much for developing it.

fuduntu, I am not sure if you'd be interested in this, but i was thinking of sending a tip to the people at OMG Ubuntu about running a piece on Jupiter and possibly even fuduntu - which i will give a try at some point soon by the way.

Before simply going to them i thought i'd mention it on here and see if you had any objections/reservations.
    Go for it, I don't mind.

Beans

Speaking of Jupiter, I installed it on my Ubuntu laptop, and went from 3 1/2 hours of battery life to around 6-7 hours of battery life.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Yeah, its awesome.

I've sent a tip to OMGUbuntu.
    Thinkpad x131e

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Does Jupiter work on Kubuntu 11.10?
    They say the pen is mightier than the sword...but Steven Seagal is mightier than the Pen AND the Sword. http://tinyurl.com/ybnsx2w
    Don't have Dropbox or any cloud-hosting yet? Click this -->http://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTE1MDE3NzY5

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast