Thread: Ubuntu Laptops

Beans

Question Ubuntu Laptops

Hi there,

I'm looking to get my girlfriend a laptop for her bday in December, we both agree that buying something new would be better for warranty etc but after using my PC she has said that she would be more than happy do the switch and use Ubuntu as her main OS.

Basically we were wondering if there was anywhere that we could get a laptop with Ubuntu installed without voiding the warranty.

Thanks Ben

P.s also were based in the UK so any UK based stores/sites would be better

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Ubuntu Laptops

http://www.system76.com/

preinstalled ubuntu, no voided warinty, all hardware is compatable with ubuntu linux

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

...Hello,

since when(!) by installing ubuntu on a laptop destroys the warranty???
    OMG! Nice! That made my day.

For the history: I have installed ubuntu on two old laptops, since their owners were attached to them emotionally and wanted to keep them and have them working, without the slow responses they were getting from windows and their response was that they did not expect their laptops to kick off after that!

Regards!

Beans

@ Spook1980 too far from me I live in the uk

@ Clause7 I was informed by dell that if I purchased a laptop it would have to bundled with Windows 7, and that if i then proceeded to format and install Ubuntu it would void my warranty.

So still no joy been doing some serious googleing but not finding what i want as yet.

Thanks

Beans

I was under the same impression the warranty getting void if I installed Ubuntu on the new laptop i bought (just a month ago)...
    If you can make a copy of your systems factory settings (mine took 4 DVD's), you can bring the system back to the original factory state...if you ever have to return the laptop for some reason that is...
    For the record I had bought an Acer laptop prior to the current one, and had to return it cause the onboard speakers started cracking in a weeks time...and I used the factory disc to bring it to the orig state...
    Cheers!!
    If I have the belief that I can do it,
    I shall surely acquire the capacity to do it,
    even if I may not have it at the beginning.
    ~M.K. Gandhi

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Benjotter View Post
    Hi there,

I'm looking to get my girlfriend a laptop for her bday in December, we both agree that buying something new would be better for warranty etc but after using my PC she has said that she would be more than happy do the switch and use Ubuntu as her main OS.

Basically we were wondering if there was anywhere that we could get a laptop with Ubuntu installed without voiding the warranty.

Thanks Ben

P.s also were based in the UK so any UK based stores/sites would be better
    Buy a Dell. Dell stands behind Ubuntu.

Buy a Vostro 3000 series. They are really nice looking.

Beans
    Hidden!

Lightbulb Re: Ubuntu Laptops

and you might want to take a look over here too.

@claus7
    i wouldn't be so sure about that... always read the eula(s) shipped with computers, pre-loaded with mikrosovt >(

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Hello,

thank you very much. I realised that using an old laptop the warranty is not an issue after all. I had heard that if I wanted to buy a laptop I might be forced to buy it with a specific software, yet I haven't bothered about it. Thank you for all the info. Right now I'll be able to know more.

@ OP: I'm so sorry. Distance and ignorance -from my part- cannot provide any help to your issue.

Hope you will find what you seek,
    Regards!

Beans

Located somewhere that sells rebadged dell laptops with no OS Novatech look really good will post feedback when I purchase it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

By now you've bought your computer.

For others who may be interested: I've talked with Acer and they too void their warranty if you change the Operating System.