Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: installation iso doesn't appear as disc image

Beans

installation iso doesn't appear as disc image

Am trying to create a boot/install CD of 10.4 LTS to install ubuntu on other machines. (I already am working with 10.4 on my current machine.)
    Have been following disc-creation instructions at http://www.ubuntu.com/download/ubuntu/download.
    I succeeded in the first step of downloading an iso onto my ubuntu desktop.
    Two problems:
    1. The downloaded iso has a good name (ubuntu-10.04.3-desktop-i386.iso) but it appears on my desktop in the form of a drive icon, not a disc icon. But the instruction page shows a disc icon. (I've checked other instruction pages for this as well, and they also show a disc icon.)
    2. The instruction page says to right-click the iso and choose "Write to Disc", but there is no such right-click option on the 10.4 lucid I'm using, even when an empty disc is inserted. (There is no such option for other files, either. Furthermore, even my burning software like Gnomebaker and Brasero aren't even recognizing the iso I've downloaded as being on the desktop.

Questions:
    Do I need the iso file icon to appear as a disc rather than a drive? If so, how do I get it that way?
    Whether or not I need a disc image icon, is it possible to enable "Write to Disc" as a right-click option?
    Last edited by kitandkaboodle; October 2nd, 2011 at 07:46 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: installation iso doesn't appear as disc image

The page you are using for instructions has the Windows box highlighted by default. Click on the Ubuntu radio button and then click on "Show me how".
    MacBook Pro 10,1 retina

Beans

I already clicked Ubuntu and "Show me how". If you do that, you'll see the same inconsistencies that I mentioned in my first post.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I see. Does Brasero find the file?
    I don't know why the iso appears as a drive icon.
    MacBook Pro 10,1 retina

Beans

Brasero does not find the file.
    The iso file is the download for version 10.4LTS from that same download page. Just to describe more clearly: it's of squarish (drive-type) appearance rather than circular disc appearance.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Try and cut/paste the file to your Downloads folder and then see if Brasero recognises the file.
    The file shouldn't necessary appear as a disc icon. It's just a file of type .iso
    MacBook Pro 10,1 retina

Beans

Per suggestion, tried to move the iso icon to downloads folder but got message saying it was not allowed or possible.
    Right-clicking the icon showed also that the "Cut" command was not active for it. One unusual command that was active on right-click was "Unmount", situated where normally is "Send To" or "Eject". Out of curiosity, I clicked "Unmount", and my iso icon promptly disappeared, a search rendering nothing. I appear to have lost my download, for whatever it was worth. It seems that the download may have resulted in some sort of boot drive rather than a disc image. Not sure if worth trying again.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

If the iso was mounted then it is likely that Brasero would not see it.
    Where did you download the iso to? Have a look in the Downloads folder and see if it's there.
    Now it's unmounted try Brasero again.
    MacBook Pro 10,1 retina

Beans

(BTW thanks very much for suggestions) Tried a search for "i386.iso" and did not turn up that file. Looked in downloads folder, but nothing. The "unmount" command did not indicate any destination. Seems to have vanished. Do you know where nonspecified "unmount" might go?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I don't even know how it got mounted
    If it's not in Downloads try your home folder (your username folder), it may be there. Is your search function set to search the file system or just one folder? Set it to file system search.
    MacBook Pro 10,1 retina

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast