Thread: Could not open lock file /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (13: Permission denied)

Beans

Unhappy Could not open lock file /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (13: Permission denied)

Hey i keep running intothis error (Could not open lock file /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (13: Permission denied))
    when ever i try installing jre so i can play minecraft would like to kno if any one could help me with it thx.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Could not open lock file /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (13: Permission denied)

You have either another application open. Update Manager, Synaptic or Terminal

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

sorry for the misinformation I accidentally provided
    Last edited by nitstorm; October 1st, 2011 at 06:31 PM. Reason: provided wrong information
    I like to keep it respectful with OpenRespect
    I write at The Void Ghost and 2buntu

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hi

Quote Originally Posted by nitstorm View Post
    To add to jon zendatta's answer,

You have another application that is running under sudo or gksudo, that is super-user permission. Only one application can be executed with super-user privileges at a time. So you will have to wait for that application to stop/end before another application can be executed with super-user privileges.

You can know which programs run with Super-user privileges as when they need to be run with super-user privileges, they will prompt you for your password.
    Sorry nitstorm bu this is simply not true. You can have many applications, daemons and scripts running as root at the same time.

You can only install one program at a time though as the dpkg lock file gets locked. The lock file is used as concurrency control for dpkg and is used by dpkg and so indirectly by apt, aptitude, software center, synaptic and update manager (etc).

Kind regards.
    If you believe everything you read, you better not read. ~ Japanese Proverb

If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed. - Mark Twain

Thinking about becoming an Ubuntu Member?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by matt_symes View Post
    Hi

Sorry nitstorm bu this is simply not true. You can have many applications, daemons and scripts running as root at the same time.

You can only install one program at a time though as the dpkg lock file gets locked. The lock file is used as concurrency control for dpkg and is used by dpkg and so indirectly by apt, aptitude, software center, synaptic and update manager (etc).

Kind regards.
    Extremely sorry and thanks for catching me there. I know that, and yet don't know what I was thinking when I made that error. Will edit the post. Thanks again and extreme apologies to everyone.
    I like to keep it respectful with OpenRespect
    I write at The Void Ghost and 2buntu

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

You should be able to remove the lock by closing the package management apps as mentioned earlier.

If you can't find any GUI apps running, you can try closing them via the command line but a safer way is to simply log off and reboot. During a normal shutdown, the apps should close in an orderly fashion and remove the lock. It should be removed after rebooting.

If rebooting doesn't remove the lock, you can see which apps you have currently running with admin privileges with:
    Code:
    ps -u root
    You can then try killing the app with:
    Code:
    sudo killall <appname> # Example: sudo killall synapic
    GRUB2

Retired.

Beans

xD omg i feel so stupid didnt put sudo infront of
    apt-get install sun-java6-jdk sun-java6-jre

thanks for help help guys

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Hadn't even thought of that - nor ever seen it mentioned as a solution. We've all done similar things.

If you wouldn't mind, please mark this SOLVED using the 'Thread Tools' link near the top right of the original post.
    GRUB2

Retired.

Beans

I got this by running:

sudo apt-get update && apt-get upgrade.

The fix in my case was to separate the statements:

sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get upgrade

My guess is that somehow these guys got into a deadly embrace.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Thread closed. Please do not post in old threads.