Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: i don't consider my kubuntu as kubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

i don't consider my kubuntu as kubuntu

when I installed Ubuntu it had Gnome as a DE. Then I decided to remove gnome and install kde, all of a sudden my system is called Kubuntu but when I had Gnome it wasn't called Gubuntu, so why Canonical is naming the Kde, Xcfe kubuntu and xubuntu respectively. I dislike this methods that when I installed KDE I removed the Kubuntu logo and replaced it with the Ubuntu logo but kept the blue colour. Why don't canonical name all versions Ubuntu and then specify that its this DE eg: UBUNTU 14.04 KING KONG with KDE/GNOME/XCFE/LXDE etc
    Monitor: LG flatron w1954s 22", mobo: G31-m7 series, CPU: Intel LGA 775 Intel core duo 2 2,66GHZ, RAM: 3GB, GPU: ATI Radeom HD 2400, Storage: 500GB SATA and 80GB IDE, Windows 7 ultimate and Ubuntu

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: i don't consider my kubuntu as kubuntu

What's in a name? That which we call a rose
    by any other name would smell as sweet...

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I may be totally wrong, but it may have to do with the fact that Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Lubunto and the rest were NOT made by Canonical, they were made by volunteers that wanted the Ubuntu base with different DEs? Canonical recognizes themas official derivatives, but they are NOT made by Canonical
    "When you think you have all the answers, Life changes the questions..."
    Registered Linux User # 419353

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by reyfer View Post
    I may be totally wrong, but it may have to do with the fact that Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Lubunto and the rest were NOT made by Canonical, they were made by volunteers that wanted the Ubuntu base with different DEs? Canonical recognizes themas official derivatives, but they are NOT made by Canonical
    I think that's only true for some of them, from memory kubuntu is developed by cananonical.
    "I don't have a problem with someone using their talents to become successful, I just don't think the highest calling is success." - Richard Stallman
    sudo apt-get mail
    package not found

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I see what you're saying. In fact, when I google for a problem, I consider finding a solution for Ubuntu to be equal to finding a solution for my Kubuntu machine.

But, beyond that, I actually like the names. The name clearly shows that it's based on Ubuntu, but the fact that it's different makes it easy to find websites and articles relevant to that Distro. For example, with kubuntu, I can go to www.kubuntu.org. Otherwise, I would have had to go to www.ubuntu.com and search for a link or something to specify that it's the KDE version of Ubuntu.

And if I'm looking for a solution to a Kubuntu specific bug typing "KDE Ubuntu Screensaver" into google would just get me to a hundred different blogs about Linux in general.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by vehemoth View Post
    I think that's only true for some of them, from memory kubuntu is developed by cananonical.
    Your memory is wrong, but luckily i had the time to fact check:

http://www.kubuntu.org/about-us
    About Us
    Submitted on Tue, 2010-06-08
    About Kubuntu

Kubuntu is a community developed and supported project. Since its launch in October 2004, Kubuntu has become one of the most highly regarded Linux distributions with millions of users around the world.

Kubuntu will always be free to download, free to use and free to distribute to others. With these goals in mind, Kubuntu aims to be the most widely used Linux system, and is the centre of a global open source software ecosystem.

Take the tour and find out why Kubuntu is right for you.

Technologies used in Kubuntu

Beans

I'm still a bit confuse about the subject
    http://www.ubuntu.com/project/about-ubuntu
    Quote Originally Posted by ubuntu
    The first version of Ubuntu was based on the GNOME desktop. We have since added a KDE edition, Kubuntu, and a server edition.
    http://www.kubuntu.org/about-us
    Quote Originally Posted by kubuntu
    Canonical, the commercial sponsor of Kubuntu, is a global organisation headquartered in Europe committed to the development, distribution and support of open source software products and communities.
    http://www.ubuntu.com/project
    Ubuntu is created by open-source developers because we believe that everybody should have access to the best possible technologies.
    Ubuntu is backed by Canonical - the number-one Ubuntu services provider.
    "I don't have a problem with someone using their talents to become successful, I just don't think the highest calling is success." - Richard Stallman
    sudo apt-get mail
    package not found

Beans
    Hidden!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Derivative Team Members are created and
    maintained by individuals and organizations outside of Canonical and
    Ubuntu. Quality Assurance is maintained by cooperation between the derivative and
    Ubuntu. These derivatives are self governed but, work closely with the Ubuntu community.
    so does this means Canonical fully support Ubuntu as their main OS than the k/l/xubuntu
    Monitor: LG flatron w1954s 22", mobo: G31-m7 series, CPU: Intel LGA 775 Intel core duo 2 2,66GHZ, RAM: 3GB, GPU: ATI Radeom HD 2400, Storage: 500GB SATA and 80GB IDE, Windows 7 ultimate and Ubuntu

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by not found View Post
    that does make it all quite straight-forward.

I wonder if it would aid the general promotion of Ubuntu if they were all called 'Ubuntu' (i realize that there would probably be legal and logistical issues with this).

I can't help thinking that the number of linux distro's out there and there variants make it difficult for people to consider linux seriously. People can go for 'Windows 7' or 'OSX Lion' but can't really just choose 'Linux' (i know that variety is one of the strengths of Linux). Ubuntu is as close as Linux come to having a 'main version', ie comprehensive, easy to install and popular. i think some brand homogenization could be useful.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast