Thread: Does rebooting often run down hardware?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Does rebooting often run down hardware?

Since i got a new (rather cheap) pc i've been making the most of ubuntus fast startup to turn it off as soon as i finish anything or go out or leave uni classes etc, so sometimes i might turn it on or off three of four times a day... does this affect hardware life?
    Before i was on mac os, it took a minute extra...
    check out KDE Neon and Manjaro KDE
    MSI Modern 14-B4MW, AMD Ryzen 5 4500U, 24GB/ 500GB NVMe
    previously Lenovo Z50, i5-4200U, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD, 1TB HDD, DVD player ripped out

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Does rebooting often run down hardware?

Hay,

Nope. As far as I understand from the computer pplz around here, its better turning it on and off, than leaving it on. One of my computers run 24/7/365 and they say its bad for it? Haven't had serious problems just yet, but non the less.

Cherz
    Switched away from windows XP to Ubuntu 9.04. Never turned around to look back.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by blackbird34 View Post
    Since i got a new (rather cheap) pc i've been making the most of ubuntus fast startup to turn it off as soon as i finish anything or go out or leave uni classes etc, so sometimes i might turn it on or off three of four times a day... does this affect hardware life?
    Before i was on mac os, it took a minute extra...
    You can use power settings (Power Management in Ubuntu) so the PC goes into a power saving mode after so many minutes of inactivity. Personally I find it better to just let my computer sit idle yet I turn it down when I'm going to be away for many hours, of course I am not concerned with hardware life since in my experience by the time hardware dies on me I have retired it and no longer depend on it working.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I would think if a computer is taken care of it'll last a long time.

I've had my computer for 3 years-a laptop. It spent most of that time being powered on 24/7. Then I started switching it off a lot. Then finally I just put it to sleep when not in use. I haven't seen any indication of the computer 'paying for it'-it's a s good as new.

It seems to me you can do what you want to it and it does just fine, as long as it isn't dropped (if it's a laptop, that is) or something major like that.
    Don't touch the Linux hat!
    Linux user #572109

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I have a sever that I built like ten years ago. I has run 24/7 since it was built except for the occasional downtime for upgrades and such. It still runs like a champ. Damn thing is like the energizer bunny.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

In theory every startup does cause a bit of extra stress to moving components, like hard drives, fans etc. And extra stress of course does mean shorter lifetime. However 3-4 boots a day isn't likely to have any noticeable effect, and the expected lifetime of computer components is way longer than most people are willing to stick to the old machines anyway.

If I were you I wouldn't worry about it much. Of course you don't want to power off the machine just for a 10-minute break, in that case suspending would be a better idea.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by mcduck View Post
    In theory every startup does cause a bit of extra stress to moving components, like hard drives, fans etc. And extra stress of course does mean shorter lifetime. However 3-4 boots a day isn't likely to have any noticeable effect, and the expected lifetime of computer components is way longer than most people are willing to stick to the old machines anyway.

If I were you I wouldn't worry about it much. Of course you don't want to power off the machine just for a 10-minute break, in that case suspending would be a better idea.
    I totally agree with you there about the life expectancy of older machines. A 10 year old system would do just fine with "most" day to day home use. As in web surfing and such. I have a old abit kt7-a system with a athlon xp 2100 running windows xp that my wife uses for all her online stuff from time to time when I have the main machine (Phenom II x4, win7) tided up. She says she can't really see to much difference in the 2 as far as speed goes. The kt7-a system also runs as my file server.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

thanks everyone!
    i was just worrying because i do cart it around a lot, it goes to university every day in a rucksack (padded specially) but i still thought it might not have liked the odd bump.
    check out KDE Neon and Manjaro KDE
    MSI Modern 14-B4MW, AMD Ryzen 5 4500U, 24GB/ 500GB NVMe
    previously Lenovo Z50, i5-4200U, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD, 1TB HDD, DVD player ripped out

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by blackbird34 View Post
    thanks everyone!
    i was just worrying because i do cart it around a lot, it goes to university every day in a rucksack (padded specially) but i still thought it might not have liked the odd bump.
    The physical stress of continually moving it will do more long-term damage than the on-off cycles. The hard drive will probably be the first to go, then the other mechanical components like the fans.

If you want to make it more bullet-proof replace the mechanical hard drive with a SSD (which will also speed it up significantly and increase battery life).
    Regards, David.
    Please use the Forum search and Wiki search for immediate help
    Please mark your thread as Solved when appropriate
    New to technical forums?: How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

There is far less damage on parked hdd, avoid using laptop on a moving platform to as much extent as possible.