Thread: Overheating

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Overheating

Honestly I am so tired of this issue it is untrue, I have been using Ubuntu for years now, I love it.

But every single time I install it on a laptop or now netbook, it causes overheating. Ubuntu is a well established operating system, surely it's been around long enough for this issue to be resolved???

Windows hasn't caused overheating on any system I've ever owned, and for the safety of my hardware I have often reverted back to Windows, but surely this shouldn't be, so c'mon Ubuntu devs, what is this all about and is it ever going to be fixed?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Overheating

If you want help, it is a good idea to begin with stating the Buntu versions you have tried along with a complete hardware description.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by mörgæs View Post
    If you want help, it is a good idea to begin with stating the Buntu versions you have tried along with a complete hardware description.
    As stated I have being using Ubuntu for many years now and found overheating an issue on all mobile platforms that I have owned, I can't possibly remember them all. There are numerous posts all over these forums with the same issue on many different mobile platforms, so seriously I am asking why can't Ubuntu get on with Laptops?

My current system that is currently dying is an Asus Eee PC 1011px which interstingly is a certified system. This system is brand new, with no dust, yet still force shutdowns due to overheating???
    Last edited by daz1uk; September 30th, 2011 at 02:17 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

To be honest, a well configured linux is just a bit hotter than the windows counterpart, at most.
    Actually, for me, linux is stabler, because my personalized cpufreqd.conf doesn't let my system pass 75C (the HP tx2 tablets have a huge design flaw on heat dissipation, it can get to 90 idle, around 105, 110 booting).
    If HP hadn't been so cheap, I would be able to increase the fan speed and make the system even more stable, but they didn't hook up the right sensors, apparently.

Bottom line is: did you configure the systems and made sure the coolers were working and etc?