Thread: Issue with running games in wine

Beans

Issue with running games in wine

hi guys,
    so im trying to figure out how to use wine, i have a game file that i want to try out but every time i try to run the "install.exe" i get an error pop up which reads
    "The file '/home/baxter/.gvfs/ResidentEvil4.iso/install.exe' is not marked as executable. If this was downloaded or copied form an untrusted source, it may be dangerous to run. For more details, read about the executable bit."

i tried running "chmod 755 install.exe" within the correct directory in terminal but i had no luck with getting the permissions to change.

Any suggestions?

Thank You

anewguy is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Wink Re: Issue with running games in wine

First, do this in a terminal:

ls -al /home/baxter/.gvfs/ResidentEvil4.iso/install.exe

Be sure the 3 groups for permissions each have the "x" - if not, you haven't gotten things set for execute yet. I just did a brief test on a file in my home folder - 755 didn't set the execute bit - 733 did. I know there are probably other combos that will as well, but try 733 first.

Dave

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Re: Issue with running games in wine

Moved to Wine section.

Beans

Re: Issue with running games in wine

add the /home/baxter/.gvfs/ResidentEvil4.iso/ as a windows drive(eg F:\) in your wine config. same for CDs. windows executables outside these directories will not be run by wine. prevents windows malware from running amok.