• No

392 32.67%
Page 3 of 100 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: How to: Broadcom Wireless cards

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: How to: Broadcom Wireless cards

I did the same thing I've been doing before and it still works. Ubuntu just needs more support on getting these things working instead of a work-around.
    MBA M1 - M1 8GB 256GB - macOS Monterey
    MSI GL65 - i5-10300H 16GB 512GB GTX 1650 Windows 11
    Galaxy Book Go - Snapdragon 7c Gen 2 4GB 128GB Windows 11

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

For anyone that is having problems, try this:
    Code:
     modprobe bcm43xx
    and reboot

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

Quote Originally Posted by rjstevens3

The device shows up, but no essids show up when i try to configure. ifconfig shows that it is installed and should be working.

Has anyone else ran into this problem?
    can you try this:
    Code:
     iwconfig
    and post what you see?
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by thecrazymonk86
    hey i got this message when moving the files into the firmware folder:

*****: Sorry, it's not posible to extract "bcm43xx_microcode11.fw".
    *****: Extracting firmware from an old driver is bad. Choose a more recent one.
    *****: Luckily bcm43xx driver doesn't include microcode11 uploads at the moment.*****: But this can be added in the future...

and my wireless doesnt work, i get an ip but no net and cant connect to router
    hmm, i dont quite know what to make of this, i got that same error and mine works... i dont understand how you have an IP assigned to you from your router but you cant connect.. can you go to System > Administration > networking and see if your card is disabled on that menu? it should be.
    Also clear out the values on the DNS tab too. hope that helps
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by crag277
    But when I tried to connect, using Wireless Assistant
    Try network manager

Quote Originally Posted by crag277
    I saw another post of problems with this wireless device when the system has >1GB of RAM. Is there any merit to that?
    Doubtful, i dont think RAM will effect anything in that way
    Last edited by nickm; June 2nd, 2006 at 11:25 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

I'm using KDE, so I installed knetworkmanager, but still no luck. It still does not find any availible wireless networks. However when I manually tell it to connect to my network it must see it, because the progress bar gets stuck at 28% and says something like "Configuring Device". I'm at work now and don't remember exactly. It stays like this for ome time, during which the wired connection doesn't work either. Then, after some kind of timeout I assume, the blue wireless light goes off, then comes back on, and the process starts over again. The only way to end it is to quit KNetoworkManager.

Beans

Good guide and all very simple compared to to some of the previous beta guides for Dapper. That said, though, it doesn't actually work for me. In previous guides it said you couldn't have a protected WAP (ie: encryption) enabled when trying to connect. Is this still the case? There's no way I'm taking down our corporate security on our WAP just for this. This is a step backwards and uncalled for. ndiswrapper worked great for me in Breezy, but this seems like step backwards.

Honestly, it seems like networking in general with Dapper took a step or two back... or at least does it in totally new ways. The /etc/network/interfaces file seems to do nothing at all anymore. Even things such as activating and deactivating interfaces through the gnome Networking GUI only half works.

I'm still going to beat on this a bit more, but I'm about to throw in the towel as things that used to work for me one way before with network suddenly doing their own thing now and I can't seem to control the setup of my networking config. Wireless acts like it works (looking and TX/RX info on ifconfig) and the settings seem right with iwconfig, but nothing actually works.

UGH!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

A big thanks from me. But a question. Is there a reason this is better than ndiswrapper? I had tried to get this going using the wiki and for whatever reason failed on RC. I did reinstall of LTS after messing with Suse for my father in law, and this worked perfectly. Great How To. Now I just need a how to for getting gfxboot to work right.

Beans

This is a great how-to with one major problem. You must have a network connection to get a network connection (apt-get fwcutter). Can you install this package for distro discs?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

$iwconfig
    lo...

eth1 IEEE 802.11b/g ESSID:off/any Nickname: "Broadcom 4318"
    Mode: Managed Frequency=2.437 GHz Access Point: Invalid
    Bit Rate=11 Mb/s Tx-Power=18dBm
    RTS thr:off Fragment thr:off
    Link Quality:0 Signal level:0 Noise level:0
    Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
    Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0

eth0.....
    Last edited by rjstevens3; June 2nd, 2006 at 07:08 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper

I've been fighting with this for the past two days now, but it is almost all fixed thanks to you. My only remaining problem is that now, every time I restart, I need to sudo modprobe bcm43xx. Is there any way to get this command to run during the boot process?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Thanks for a great guide!

I had just finished setting up NetworkManager not 10 minutes before this showed up on Digg. Sometimes, as in my case, the NetworkManager install isn't quite flawless, but I found this link which walked me thru the install. It's on the Ubuntu wiki at :https://wiki.ubuntu.com/NetworkManager

Page 3 of 100 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast