• Yes

808 67.33%
  • No

392 32.67%
Page 98 of 100 FirstFirst ... 488896979899100 LastLast

Thread: How to: Broadcom Wireless cards

Beans

Re: How to: Broadcom Wireless cards

It didn't work for me, the wireless network/card doesn't show up in the network manager. 'modprobe bcm43xx' gives no output. Any ideas?

My card is a Buffalo AirStation G54, and I'm running Gutsy.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hi all-

I did an upgrade last night to 8.04 and it broke the broadcom for me. I followed this post also:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...4&postcount=43
    And all I had to do was comment out the bcm-xx line and restart, and my wireless capabilities were restored. I didn't have to add any lines however.
    Home: HP DV7-1242 Laptop, ATI, 6 GB RAM, 320GB HD, AMD TurionX2 2.1ghz
    Home: HP DV6646us Laptop, nVidia, 4 GB RAM, 32GB SSD, AMD TurionX2 1.9ghz
    Work: Lenovo ThinkPad T510, nvidia, 8 GB RAM, 500 GB HD, Core i5
    Ubuntu User # 21,107

Beans

I just installed 8.04 for the first time. Previously I had Fedora and I had gotten the wirless to work with a similar process.

Unfortunately after following the steps in this process I can't get the wireless to work. I have an Inspiron 5100 with the BCM4306 wireless card.

I have also removed BCM43xx from the blacklist file. I also used the latest version of the driver, wl_apsta-3.130.20.0.o

The iwconfig command gives me the follwing...
    lo no wireless extensions.

eth0 no wireless extensions.

wmaster0 no wireless extensions.

wlan0 IEEE 802.11g ESSID:""
    Mode:Managed Channel:0 Access Point: Not-Associated
    Tx-Power=0 dBm
    Retry min limit:7 RTS thrff Fragment thr=2346 B
    Link Quality:0 Signal level:0 Noise level:0
    Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
    Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0

If anyone has any ideas it would be appreciated.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kathryn View Post
    Hello everyone,

Tonight I installed Gutsy as a dual-boot onto my Vista laptop. The first (and only) problem thus far under Gutsy has been wireless internet. Specifically, using a Broadcom 4311 wireless card in a Compaq Presario laptop.

I started with this How-to, and unexpectedly found that the solution for me was quite simple.

- Run Synaptic package manager
    - Find bcm43xx-fwcutter (as instructed in the how-to)
    - Install bcm43xx-fwcutter
    - When it is nearly finished it offers a check box, asking whether you want it to "fetch and extract the firmware"
    - I ticked this box and proceeded. The firmware was fetched from a remote location, since I did not direct it to any file
    - The wireless connections available in my neighborhood appeared
    - I connected to my own network successfully but the connection dropped out every time

but

- Reboot seemed to fix it

Hooray! Hope this helps other Gutsy users.
    Kathryn, Kudos to you!

All I had to do was go to Synaptic and download the bcm43xxx cutter (the one with the ubuntu logo next to it).

I let it extract the firmware, download, and voila! my wireless network is accessible.

I am using a Dell Inspiron 8600c with the Dell wireless card.

EXCELLENT and THANKYOU!

Beans

nickm i dont know if you are still checking t06:03.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4303 802.11b Wireless LAN Controller (rev 02)
    his post but i followed your directions and i can now see the wireless networks that are around but i am not able to connect to them at all, no matter what the encryption is. this is my wire less card info 06:03.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4303 802.11b Wireless LAN Controller (rev 02). i used the driver from my windows cd because the website was down. any suggestions what i can do to get my card to connect to the wifi

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

This was incredibly helpful -- thanks so much!

However, I'm experiencing a weird glitch. The wireless card doesn't activate when I start up the computer, or when I insert the card after the first start. The only way I've found to get it working is to put the computer on "Hibernate" and then revive it. After that, I'm good to go (11mb/s on a G-router) until I shutdown again.

This isn't a big deal, but can anyone explain why it happens or how to make it work right on startup?

I'm running Hardy, fully updated.

Nice tutorial. Thanks a lot! It worked for me.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by gabetz08 View Post
    i can now see the wireless networks that are around but i am not able to connect to them at all, no matter what the encryption is.
    I'm having the same problem. I got it working at one point but then had to re-install, so I know that it *can* work. But right now, I can see my network but can't join it.

Any ideas?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

nickm...i love you. right when im about to turn my back on ubuntu and the linux community, you shine light on the power of community by solving my half year long battle with this problem.

thanks again sir!

06:00.0 Network Controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM94311MCG wlan mini-PCI (rev 01)

on ubuntu 8.04

Beans

Re: How to: Broadcom Wireless cards without Ndiswrapper for Dapper and Edgy

Dont know if it matter but ,in my folder i found BCMWL6.SYS in stead of BCMWL5.SYS soooo.... if anyone needs that ... go here
    http://www.mediafire.com/?lncz3zlz5z9

Page 98 of 100 FirstFirst ... 488896979899100 LastLast