1200. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

808 67.33%
  • No

392 32.67%
Page 6 of 100 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast

Thread: How to: Broadcom Wireless cards

Re: How to: Broadcom Wireless cards

I'm going to hack away at this a little when I get home. I have an Inspiron 600m with the Dell 1370 (4318 chipset), and was having no luck with ndiswrapper or the wiki instructions. It might have been the drivers I downloaded from Dell's support site, though.

The funny thing is, I got the same machine to work with ndiswrapper under Breezy -- not a hitch at all. I have a feeling I'm using a different driver than what I was using in January, though.
    Last edited by K.Mandla; June 3rd, 2006 at 08:08 AM.
    Ubuntu user #7247 :: Linux user #409907
    inconsolation.wordpress.com

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

it worked beautifully on my 600m w/ a dell wlan 1350 wireless card (BCM4306 chipset). THANK YOU!!

Beans

I just tried this on a fresh install of kubuntu dapper. I installed knetworkmanager instead of networkmanager gnome, which detected my lan card fine, but not my wireless.

Then I tried to set up the wireless with wlassistant, and the machine found the network, but hard locked when I tried to connect to it.

Any ideas?

I did also have the
    *****: Sorry, it's not posible to extract "bcm43xx_microcode11.fw".
    *****: Extracting firmware from an old driver is bad. Choose a more recent one.
    *****: Luckily bcm43xx driver doesn't include microcode11 uploads at the moment.
    *****: But this can be added in the future...

error, but my card is a bcm4306.

Beans

I'm having problems similar to what others have been having. After following the guide in detail, blacklisting ndiswrapper, and removing wifi-radar, I can get my card to come up, but its access point still shows up as "invalid" in iwconfig, ifconfig does not show it as "running", and it will not detect any wireless network. I have a 4306 model. Did anybody else with this model do anything extra and have any success? Any ideas? Thanks.

Beans

After much hassle and many fresh installs I got it to work.
    My laptop is a HP ZE2308WM (similar to the Compaq V2000 only with AMD and ATi).

Wireless card: 0000:05:02.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4318 [AirForce One 54g] 802.11g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 02)

The driver listed in the first post did not work for me, so I used the one listed in the wiki: driver and it worked. It's an exe so you need to extract it and it seems to be an older driver but as long as it works...

Other things I tried that may have contributed to it working was blacklisting ndiswrapper like MasterChief1234 had suggested and commenting out the interfaces (except lo) as described in the gnome network manager wiki.

Hope this helps someone. EDIT: I uploaded the actual driver that I used from the wiki. It does work with WPA by the way, although it is limited to 11MBPS (B)
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Slicedbread; June 3rd, 2006 at 08:04 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by nickm
    How to get a wireless card working in Ubuntu dapper(6.06) with a Broadcom chipset

Okay so you have a wireless card that shows up in ubuntu but doesnt connect to any wireless network?

The reason the card shows up but doesnt work is because ubuntu is distributed with its driver (so it can recognize it) but not with its firmware (so it can USE it) for legal reasons.

However you can take the firmware out of the windows drivers and put them into ubuntu and make the card work
    Follow these steps to get your wireless card working under ubuntu dapper 6.06:

To find out if your card has a broadcom chipset run the following command:
    Code:
     lspci | grep Broadcom\ Corporation
    If that returns a string of numbers followed by the words Broadcom Corporation and then some more numbers then your in luck!
    But if not, try my guide anyway, it cant do any harm and it might work for you, its largly untested for cards other than mine and the success stories posted here so give it a go and see!

Here is my output from doing this:
    Code:
    lspci | grep Broadcom\ Corporation
    0000:02:0d.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4306 802.11b/g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 03)
    Prerequisite
    Ubuntu dapper
    A wireless card that shows up in Ubuntu
    A driver installation CD (for Windows) OR a driver for your card from the internet
    Access to the Ubuntu Universe Repository

1) Ensure you have access to the other ubuntu repos
    follow the intructions on the second heading from this page to ensure you have the universe enabled
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MOTU/Package...iversePackages

2) Copy your windows driver to your desktop
    You have 3 options here, you can either:
    Copy the driver from the CD that came with the Card
    Copy it over from your windows partition if you have access to it, it will be located here: /Windows/System32/Drivers/bcmwl5.sys
    Obtain the newest version of it from here - http://sidulus.textdrive.com/bcmwl5sys.zip

3) Install bcm43xx-fwcutter
    Open a terminal (dont worry) and type the following:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install bcm43xx-fwcutter
    It will ask for your password and may ask you to press y to install, but dont worry its really easy

GUI Alternative: go to System in the top Gnome bar then Administration then Synaptic Package Manager
    From here click Search and search for bcm43xx-fwcutter
    Right click on its entry in the package window, select Mark for Installation and then click apply

4) Extract your Cards firmware from the driver
    Open a terminal (dont worry) and type the following:
    Code:
    sudo bcm43xx-fwcutter -w /lib/firmware ~/Desktop/bcmwl5.sys
    This will create lots of new files in the /lib/firmware directory, this is the firmware part of the driver that will make your card work with ubuntu!

Note The location and name of the sys file for this command may differ in your case, if you really get stuck type bcm43xx-fwcutter and then hit space, find your file using the GUI and then drag and drop it into the terminal.

5) Install Network Manager
    I find that this is the best way to manage wireless connections
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install network-manager-gnome
    It may ask for your password and may ask you to press y to install, but dont worry its really easy

6) Bookmark this page and Reboot
    Press Ctrl + D and then click on add
    Then log out & reboot
    Return to this page after logging back in again

7) Use your new Wireless connection
    From what i remember network manager should now show up by your clock and display your current connection, if your lucky it will show a series of bars, this means your now using your wireless connection so lucky you!
    If it doesnt, right click on it and tick "Enable Wireless" then left click on it
    and select the wirless network of your choice.

8) Give me feedback
    I am happy to revise this guide if people find other ways of doing it or if you find it doesnt work for you and have a solution
    I am also happy to create screenshots of each step if i can find hosting for them, i dont like imageshack etc as pictures hosted there expire
    Please contact me on Boredklink+forums@gmail.com for either of these

Thanks, i hope this helps...

Thanks to markmcspadden, spd106 and Vaan for giving suggestions/correction which proved invaluable to this guide
    A BIG thanks to Dipswitch for a second pair of eyes on this Howto and contributing some changes also

----------------------------------------------------
    For anyone that is having problems, try this:
    Code:
    modprobe bcm43xx
    and reboot
    Nice guide. It wont work for people without a internet connection though and there is a bug in some cards that requires a extra command. Mine is one (Belkin F5D7000). Here are some ajustments:

1: Everything looks OK but no net connection?
    Open a terminal and type iwconfig. Look at the wireless device (it will probably be eth1). Under access point if it says invalid then we need to fix it. To do this type:
    sudo iwconfig <device> ap any
    and enter your password.
    Back in your network management tool disable and enable your card. Now it will work. Note you will have to repeat this every bootup.

2: Getting the firmware without a internet connection: (another method to get the firmware).

You will need another pc and a floppy or something. On the other pc browse to http://packages.ubuntu.com and click Dapper. You will need to find the bcm43xx-fwcutter package. Good luck (I don't renember where it is). Stick the deb on a floppy. Now go to <wherever the special ubuntu script lists the archive> and download <the file that the script lists>. Put that on a floppy.

Back on Linux extract the file and install the fwcutter package. Then finally cut the firmware out of the <file listed in the script> and copy all the fw files to /usr/lib/firmware.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Slicedbread
    After much hassle and many fresh installs I got it to work.
    My laptop is a HP ZE2308WM (similar to the Compaq V2000 only with AMD and ATi).

Wireless card: 0000:05:02.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4318 [AirForce One 54g] 802.11g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 02)

The driver listed in the first post did not work for me, so I used the one listed in the wiki: driver and it worked. It's an exe so you need to extract it and it seems to be an older driver but as long as it works...

Other things I tried that may have contributed to it working was blacklisting ndiswrapper like MasterChief1234 had suggested and commenting out the interfaces (except lo) as described in the gnome network manager wiki.

Hope this helps someone. EDIT: I uploaded the actual driver that I used from the wiki.
    This made things closer for me, networkmanager detected the network, and started to connect, although it couldn't get an ip.

Then I ran iwconfig and the system hard locked.. I guess it's just not ready for prime time, back to ndiswrapper I go.

Beans

ok, now I've loaded ndiswrapper, + the driver and I've appended it to /etc/modules

Now when I start up, it is detected by networkmanager, but it won't connect to any of the networks, it just sits there configuring the interface, then goes link is down, and stops.

However, wlassistant works perfectly, and I can connect... But I want to use networkmanager.. any ideas?

Beans

Smile Re: How to: Broadcom Wireless cards

I would be happy to host the images on my googlepage. That is pretty much all I use my google page for, mirroring stuff. It is pretty much guarenteed to stay up (it's google) and I don't have any other use for the 100 meg.

First of all, thanks for the guide. It's been helpful, although it didn't work for my 1370.

However, I have the wireless more or less working, through ndiswrapper and the driver files listed here. ...

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp30001-30500/SP30379.exe

Unfortunately, that's a Windows installer program, although it really only spits out the Broadcom drivers and installation programs, into a directory you choose. Later on (like tomorrow, after I've slept ) I can decompress that file and strip out the .inf and .sys that I used, then post them here.

I hope that's what solved it for me. The problem is that at this point, I've whacked away at this problem so many times that I might have tweaked something completely unrelated. A fresh install is in order, for testing purposes.

Thanks and cheers.
    Ubuntu user #7247 :: Linux user #409907
    inconsolation.wordpress.com

Page 6 of 100 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast