• Yes

808 67.33%
  • No

392 32.67%
Page 53 of 100 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563 ... LastLast

Thread: How to: Broadcom Wireless cards

Beans

Re: How to: Broadcom Wireless cards

It worked great! I had to install WPA support.

Big problem though. Wireless is not working in Windows...
    Is their any way to get WIFI working in both OS's?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Quote Originally Posted by susancragin View Post
    Didn't work for me.
    Acer Ferrari AMD64 Broadcom BCM4318 AirForce One 54g
    bcmwl5.sys
    Installs fine. PCMCIA card lights up real nice, lights flicker with activity.
    Wireless assistant recognizes my wireless and a couple of other networks within range.
    Try to activate, but nothing works.
    Susan Cragin
    bcm4318 is a chore to setup. Try this guide, it worked for me:

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=197102

Quote Originally Posted by devoinregress View Post
    It worked great! I had to install WPA support.

Big problem though. Wireless is not working in Windows...
    Is their any way to get WIFI working in both OS's?
    The last time this happened to me, the card was simply deactivated in Win. Take a look at the Systemsettings (uhm ... no, thats KDE, well you propably know what I'm talking about) under Network Connections. Also take a look at whatever other app manages the card (on a laptop usually a tool from the laptop-manufacturer). It can also be used to deactivate the card.

If nothing works, simply reinstall the drivers (a crazy idea: you didn't accidentally remove them, did you?).

Fumbling with the card and its driver in Linux has no effect on its performance in Win or any other OS. So the reason must be with Win.
    Last edited by Sokraates; September 25th, 2006 at 07:08 AM.

Beans

I followed your HOWTO but it didn't work for me with my BCM 4309. However, after I added "ndiswrapper" to /etc/modules and rebooted, it works fine.

Beans

BCM 4318 in a Gateway MX6440
    I had no luck with ndswrapper
    I kinda had luck with this guide. Everything worked great first boot. Next boot the wireless conection was no longer there and my LAN quit working. Wiconfig seen my router and all looked good.
    The Network tool that is included in Ubuntu indicated all is good on both devices.
    Bottom line is the Network tool that you are instructed to download "and use" must be the the only one controling the networks!

auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback

#auto eth0
    #iface eth0 inet dhcp

#iface eth1 inet dhcp

#auto eth2
    #iface eth2 inet dhcp

#auto ath0
    #iface ath0 inet dhcp

#auto wlan0
    #iface wlan0 inet dhcp

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ka1axy View Post
    I'm dual booting a company-issued Dell D620. lspci says:
    0000:0c:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4310 UART (rev 01)

Everything worked according to the instructions. Was unable to extract the firmware from the Windows .sys file, but the wl_apsta.o extraction worked as advertised.

My network showed up in the applet when rebooted, and I entered the WEP key, and connected at 11 Mb/s (it's a "g" network, so I had expected 54Mb/s, but hey, I'm not picky)

Thank you!

Peter
    I have the exact same machine with the same hardware.
    I followed the HOWTO and was able to see my wireless network listed. When I attempt to connect with my WEP key it takes a while "thinking" and then sometimes works and other times just keeps asking me for the key. Either way in a few moments the whole system freezes. No response from mouse or keyboard. Yes, I locked up a linux box...

Anybody run into this? It seems like the described series of commands comes close to working considering it actually begins to communicate with the router. What would cause the whole system to freeze like that?

Thanks,

Jon

Beans

I have a HP NX7400 with a Broadcom 4311 chip and it didn't worked for me? I did all the steps! Help?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Thanks for the nice guide. I have a Dell Inspiron 5100 Laptop with the bcm4306 chipset and I had to troubleshoot this for a while. I found that using Ubuntu's built-in System->Administration->Networking control panel will fudge up your wireless configuration.

I'm going to repeat & add to what another user posted which is what really helped me get this going (I can't find the original post so I forget who it was).

If you've been fiddling around trying to get it to work and you want to start over, do this:

1. Remove bcm43xx-fwcutter package (Use the Synaptics Package manager and search for bcm43, right click and remove completely, then apply).
    2. Remove Network-Manager and Gnome-network-manager, again with the synaptics package manager.
    3. Delete all the files that begin with bcm43 in your /lib/firmware directory, then browse in the 2.6.whatever folders under /lib/firmware and delete bcm43* files also.
    Code:
    cd /lib/firmware
    sudo rm bcm43*
    (this basically undoes the steps when your run fwcutter.)
    4. At this point it might be a good idea to use the Ubuntu Software updater utility (because if you update later, you might have to repeat these steps to get wireless working again).
    5. Comment out (using #) or delete all the lines in the text file: /etc/network/interfaces except the lines for loopback (lo).
    Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/network/interfaces
    That will pop open an editor so you can delete the unnecessary lines and save it.
    The file should only have:
    Code:
    auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback
    in it.
    6. Restart the computer and you should be able to start fresh with the guide.

It works fine now, but it seems after booting up I have to manually click the network manager icon to connect to my network. I want to figure out a way that it will auto connect to a network of my preference.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

This worked on my Dell Latitude D800 Laptop running Edgy Knot 3 with a Broadcom BCM4309. I followed the instructions but it didn't work. However, after I set my package manager to get updates from the Universe I downloaded a bunch of stuff and rebooted. Then it worked. Thanks for the great HOWTO

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex (testing)

Quote Originally Posted by mn_kthompson View Post
    This worked on my Dell Latitude D800 Laptop running Edgy Knot 3 with a Broadcom BCM4309. I followed the instructions but it didn't work. However, after I set my package manager to get updates from the Universe I downloaded a bunch of stuff and rebooted. Then it worked. Thanks for the great HOWTO
    What bunch of stuff???

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex (testing)

Quote Originally Posted by samssf View Post
    Didn't work.

I had all the prereqs and have the linksys wmp64gs v1.1 broadcom 4306 chipset.

On step 4 you ask us to type "sudo bcm43xx-fwcutter -w /lib/firmware ~/Desktop/wl_apsta.o"

Where is the .o file??? The file you provided for download contains a .sys, not a .o

I used the .sys file and that seemed to work for that step, but I have no idea.

Also, you said /lib/firmware. Do you mean replace the word firmware with my firmware version? Cause if so, that isnt obvious at all... especially for someone new to linux. Another post mentioned to do that.
    Read the first post. There is a link to wl_apasta.o.

Page 53 of 100 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563 ... LastLast