• No

392 32.67%
Page 21 of 100 FirstFirst ... 1119202122233171 ... LastLast

Thread: How to: Broadcom Wireless cards

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Re: How to: Broadcom Wireless cards

That was spot on - I really cannot express how clear and simple the instructions are - it did help that i'm using exactly the same card as you. I bow to your greatness mate.

Thanks again.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Now I've been playing around for two days. Still my problem is that my card will not connect at boot up, but now I have found that the only thing needed is to run
    sudo iwconfig eth0 ap any

and

/etc/init.d/networking restart

the wiki page about the subject suggests that I add iwconfig eth0 ap any to /network/interfaces

Still this doesnt do it. Is there anywhere else I can put these commands to make it connect at boot up? Or is there a special way or place to put them in the interfaces file?

ANother thing ,when i run iwconfig it says bitrate 11mbps, but in iwlist scan it says 54 mbps? Whats the difference?

JØrgen

Beans

This was the easiest most straight forward instructions I have found in the linux world. OK so that may be hyperbole but WOW! It took five minutes for me to set this up and I am up and running.
    Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

not to blow my own trumpet, but i just used my guide with a fresh install of ubuntu and it works!! =D>

I was wondering if someone can help me though, on step 4b the user is going to have to find out what kernel they have etc, is there a command to do this, but just list the numbers so i could change it from
    sudo bcm43xx-fwcutter -w /lib/firmware/2.6.15-23-386 ~/Desktop/wl_apsta.o
    to
    sudo bcm43xx-fwcutter -w /lib/firmware/`command' ~/Desktop/wl_apsta.o ?
    Last edited by nickm; June 6th, 2006 at 07:27 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by nickm
    not to blow my own trumpet, but i just used my guide with a fresh install of ubuntu and it works!! =D>

I was wondering if someone can help me though, on step 4b the user is going to have to find out what kernel they have etc, is there a command to do this, but just list the numbers so i could change it from
    sudo bcm43xx-fwcutter -w /lib/firmware/2.6.15-23-386 ~/Desktop/wl_apsta.o
    to
    sudo bcm43xx-fwcutter -w /lib/firmware/`command' ~/Desktop/wl_apsta.o ?
    it would be uname -r i think but you dont need to put it in a specific folder on /lib/firmware. just dump it in /lib/firmware.
    The Linux Counter
    Registered user/machine: 418342/326176
    http://www.tuxtalk.org - TuxTalk Linux Community - Friendly, non distro-specific, helpful, alternative Linux community.

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

Quote Originally Posted by PPower
    it would be uname -r i think but you dont need to put it in a specific folder on /lib/firmware. just dump it in /lib/firmware.
    well some people were finding that they had to, so i dont know if it makes a difference or not.

Thanks anyway, ill try it out

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Quote Originally Posted by joergenlie
    Now I've been playing around for two days. Still my problem is that my card will not connect at boot up, but now I have found that the only thing needed is to run
    sudo iwconfig eth0 ap any

and

/etc/init.d/networking restart

the wiki page about the subject suggests that I add iwconfig eth0 ap any to /network/interfaces

Still this doesnt do it. Is there anywhere else I can put these commands to make it connect at boot up? Or is there a special way or place to put them in the interfaces file?

ANother thing ,when i run iwconfig it says bitrate 11mbps, but in iwlist scan it says 54 mbps? Whats the difference?

JØrgen
    Sing HALLELUJAH!!! I went through the howto over again and now my broadcom 4306 works like silk

Thank you very much!

Jørgen

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by nickm
    well some people were finding that they had to, so i dont know if it makes a difference or not.

Thanks anyway, ill try it out
    It works fine for me in /lib/firmware. The problem with sticking it in a kernel dir is that you have to reinstall it every time the kernel is updated. Thanks for adding the wl_apsta.o. It will come in handy when Ubuntu upgrade to 2.6.17 or later.
    The Linux Counter
    Registered user/machine: 418342/326176
    http://www.tuxtalk.org - TuxTalk Linux Community - Friendly, non distro-specific, helpful, alternative Linux community.

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

Quote Originally Posted by PPower
    It works fine for me in /lib/firmware. The problem with sticking it in a kernel dir is that you have to reinstall it every time the kernel is updated. Thanks for adding the wl_apsta.o. It will come in handy when Ubuntu upgrade to 2.6.17 or later.
    its okay, im using it now and its fine with the current kernel too.

Beans

After i go through the guide i can see AP's and connect to them (i get an IP and gw/dns) but i cannot get connectivity. Anyone else had this problem? I cant ping my DNS ip's or anything. I'm hopeing this is just a configuration issue. Did this on a fresh install.

Page 21 of 100 FirstFirst ... 1119202122233171 ... LastLast