Thread: Computer freezing related to video problem?

Threaded View

Beans

Computer freezing related to video problem?

I am new to Ubuntu and have recently installed 11.04 into my EeePc which formerly ran on Xp. From time to time the computer freezes. There is no apparent pattern, it just hangs up. The mouse freezes, and keyboard input becomes impossible - even Ctrl+Alt+Delete. The only way out is the off switch. Looking for an error log, I was pointed at xsessions errors. Just after the last freeze, I took a copy very soon after reboot of the tail end of that log. From what I saw, I thought that I had a network problem - but I've been told the problem is a video one. Can you confirm that? Here is the copy of the log:

Code:
    (nautilus:1167): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_value_get_object: assertion `G_VALUE_HOLDS_OBJECT (value)' failed
    Nautilus-Share-Message: Called "net usershare info" but it failed: 'net  usershare' returned error 255: net usershare: cannot open usershare  directory /var/lib/samba/usershares. Error No such file or directory
    Please ask your system administrator to enable user sharing.

(nautilus:1167): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_value_get_object: assertion `G_VALUE_HOLDS_OBJECT (value)' failed

** (process:1168): DEBUG: desktop-launch-listener.vala:118: ran with uri: file:///home/nick/.xsession-errors
    ** (process:1168): DEBUG: zeitgeist-datahub.vala:174: Inserting 1 events
    ** (process:1168): DEBUG: desktop-launch-listener.vala:118: ran with uri: file:///home/nick/.xsession-errors
    ** (<unknown>:1152): DEBUG: MaximizeIfBigEnough: window mapped and already maximized, just undecorate
    Video details:

Code:
    lspci |grep VGA
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GME Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
    Code:
    lshw -c video
    WARNING: you should run this program as super-user.
      *-display:0             
           description: VGA compatible controller
           product: Mobile 945GME Express Integrated Graphics Controller
           vendor: Intel Corporation
           physical id: 2
           bus info: pci@0000:00:02.0
           version: 03
           width: 32 bits
           clock: 33MHz
           capabilities: vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
           configuration: driver=i915 latency=0
           resources: irq:16 memory:f7f00000-f7f7ffff ioport:dc00(size=8) memory:d0000000-dfffffff memory:f7ec0000-f7efffff
      *-display:1 UNCLAIMED
           description: Display controller
           product: Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME, 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller
           vendor: Intel Corporation
           physical id: 2.1
           bus info: pci@0000:00:02.1
           version: 03
           width: 32 bits
           clock: 33MHz
           capabilities: bus_master cap_list
           configuration: latency=0
           resources: memory:f7f80000-f7ffffff
    WARNING: output may be incomplete or inaccurate, you should run this program as super-user.
    Last edited by kiwibrit; September 28th, 2011 at 11:00 PM.