Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Computer freezing related to video problem?

Beans

Computer freezing related to video problem?

I am new to Ubuntu and have recently installed 11.04 into my EeePc which formerly ran on Xp. From time to time the computer freezes. There is no apparent pattern, it just hangs up. The mouse freezes, and keyboard input becomes impossible - even Ctrl+Alt+Delete. The only way out is the off switch. Looking for an error log, I was pointed at xsessions errors. Just after the last freeze, I took a copy very soon after reboot of the tail end of that log. From what I saw, I thought that I had a network problem - but I've been told the problem is a video one. Can you confirm that? Here is the copy of the log:

Code:
    (nautilus:1167): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_value_get_object: assertion `G_VALUE_HOLDS_OBJECT (value)' failed
    Nautilus-Share-Message: Called "net usershare info" but it failed: 'net  usershare' returned error 255: net usershare: cannot open usershare  directory /var/lib/samba/usershares. Error No such file or directory
    Please ask your system administrator to enable user sharing.

(nautilus:1167): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_value_get_object: assertion `G_VALUE_HOLDS_OBJECT (value)' failed

** (process:1168): DEBUG: desktop-launch-listener.vala:118: ran with uri: file:///home/nick/.xsession-errors
    ** (process:1168): DEBUG: zeitgeist-datahub.vala:174: Inserting 1 events
    ** (process:1168): DEBUG: desktop-launch-listener.vala:118: ran with uri: file:///home/nick/.xsession-errors
    ** (<unknown>:1152): DEBUG: MaximizeIfBigEnough: window mapped and already maximized, just undecorate
    Video details:

Code:
    lspci |grep VGA
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GME Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
    Code:
    lshw -c video
    WARNING: you should run this program as super-user.
      *-display:0             
           description: VGA compatible controller
           product: Mobile 945GME Express Integrated Graphics Controller
           vendor: Intel Corporation
           physical id: 2
           bus info: pci@0000:00:02.0
           version: 03
           width: 32 bits
           clock: 33MHz
           capabilities: vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
           configuration: driver=i915 latency=0
           resources: irq:16 memory:f7f00000-f7f7ffff ioport:dc00(size=8) memory:d0000000-dfffffff memory:f7ec0000-f7efffff
      *-display:1 UNCLAIMED
           description: Display controller
           product: Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME, 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller
           physical id: 2.1
           bus info: pci@0000:00:02.1
           capabilities: bus_master cap_list
           configuration: latency=0
           resources: memory:f7f80000-f7ffffff
    WARNING: output may be incomplete or inaccurate, you should run this program as super-user.
    Last edited by kiwibrit; September 28th, 2011 at 11:00 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Computer freezing related to video problem?

What driver are you using?
    I had an experimental driver installed that kept locking upon me, now I got the proprietary one and it doesn't happen anymore.

Beans

I don't know what driver I am using - and even after extensive searching on Google, I can't find out how to do so. I think the problem may stem from not selecting a 3D driver during installation. As I am not running 3D CAD - and don't expect to be handling 3D PDFs, I saw no reason to do so - but I gather that Ubuntu runs best with a 3D driver.

FWIW, I have now switched to Gnome, so at least I now find advice saying that I should use the 'System' tool bar makes sense!
    Last edited by kiwibrit; September 29th, 2011 at 11:42 AM.

Beans

Downloaded the zip file for what appeared to be the appropriate Linux driver for the chip set from Intel. Moved the zip file to the Home folder, and extracted there. Attempted to run the .exe file, and failed with this error message:

Code:
    Archive:  /home/xxxx/IEGD_10_3_1_GOLD/IEGD_10_3_1_GOLD_1550.exe
    Zip file size: 128196608 bytes, number of entries: 45568

warning [/home/xxxx/IEGD_10_3_1_GOLD/IEGD_10_3_1_GOLD_1550.exe]:  end-of-central-directory record claims this
      is disk 26627 but that the central directory starts on disk 43162; this is a
      contradiction.  Attempting to process anyway.
    error [/home/xxxx/IEGD_10_3_1_GOLD/IEGD_10_3_1_GOLD_1550.exe]:  missing 1097972840 bytes in zipfile
      (attempting to process anyway)
    error [/home/xxxx/IEGD_10_3_1_GOLD/IEGD_10_3_1_GOLD_1550.exe]:  attempt to seek before beginning of zipfile
      (please check that you have transferred or created the zipfile in the
      appropriate BINARY mode and that you have compiled UnZip properly)
    What fun.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Hello again kiwibrit

I'm going to move your thread again to Multimedia & Video this time.
    Code:
    sudo lshw -C display
    Will output your video information.

You cannot run .exe files with linux, are you sure that it was a linux driver you downloaded.

If you get a complete lock up in future, rather than holding down the off button you can try one of 2 things to shut your computer down cleanly.

Either press Ctrl-Alt-F1 and log in to tty1, then type

Code:
    sudo shutdown -r now
    or hold down Alt-RysRq and keeping both those buttons held down, type R,S,E,I,U,B in that order.

Cheers.

Beans

Thanks for moving me to the right place, nothingspecial Driver was for the 945GME chipset for Linux Fedora 10(kernel 2.6.27, X.org 1.5.X.server.1.53) allegedly. It was my best guess as to what I needed.

Ctrl+Alt+Delete wouldn't do the shut down - but I'll follow up on the Ubuntu computer with your other points.

Thanks.

Beans

Hmm. Well, the first thing to say is that since switching from Unity to Gnome, there have been no more crashes. So I've stumbled on a more stable interface which, for me, is also easier to follow.

However, I would like to see this thing through - firstly because in the process I am learning how Ubuntu works, and, secondly, I want to make sure I have the optimum video drive.

So onwards..... From this

Code:
      *-display:0             
           description: VGA compatible controller
           product: Mobile 945GME Express Integrated Graphics Controller
           physical id: 2
           bus info: pci@0000:00:02.0
           capabilities: msi pm vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
           configuration: driver=i915 latency=0
           resources: irq:16 memory:f7f00000-f7f7ffff ioport:dc00(size=8) memory:d0000000-dfffffff memory:f7ec0000-f7efffff
      *-display:1 UNCLAIMED
           description: Display controller
           product: Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME, 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller
           physical id: 2.1
           bus info: pci@0000:00:02.1
           capabilities: pm bus_master cap_list
           configuration: latency=0
           resources: memory:f7f80000-f7ffffff
    I take it that the video driver is i915?

Is the configuration correct?

Is there a better driver out there which will run in Umbuntu?

I was looking here for drivers, BTW.

Beans

Argh. It just froze. Mind you that is the first time today. Even so, I need to get this sorted. I see that the i915 driver is not for my graphics chipset - so I suppose it is not surprising that I have problems.

Next step is to find a Linux driver for the Mobile 945 GME in a format I can load. If I can do that I will update this thread - meanwhile if some can advise me, I'd appreciate that, too.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

If you open terminal (Ctrl+Alt+T) then type
    Code:
    jockey-gtk
    It should tell you what drivers are available to install.

Beans

Thanks, it tells me that there are no proprietary drivers to install. However, looking here I see others have had problems with this chopset and the driver installed by Ubuntu by default - and that the i810 driver may be the answer. Could you tell me how to install the substitute driver?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast