Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Switching from ubuntu to ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Switching from ubuntu to ?

I recently tested Ubuntu 11.10 beta2 and noticed that it isn't very lightweight at lest not on my low-medium end laptop. I get around ~0.5 load using Unity2D when surfing which is way to high since I will use the laptop for IDE like Eclipse and Netbeans.

What are there for alternatives to Ubuntu that uses less resources, there are few requirements, good repositories, good integration with ssh/sftp (like nautilus and seahorse), easy to install packages similar to apt-get.

System specification
    Code:
    Laptop:		Asus X51R
    CPU:		Intel Celeron M 530 / 1.73 GHz
    RAM:		1 GB
    Graphics:	ATI Radeon Xpress 1100 (128mb shared)
    Last edited by SpinningAround; September 28th, 2011 at 01:48 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Switching from ubuntu to ?

Have you tried installing something other than Unity on there? Perhaps good-old Gnome 2? If you want to move away from Ubuntu but want something similar, I'd point you to Debian (on which Ubuntu is based).

Beans
    Hidden!

If you like the way Ubuntu works both Xubuntu and Lubuntu are light-weight alternatives...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by not found View Post
    If you like the way Ubuntu works both Xubuntu and Lubuntu are light-weight alternatives...
    +1. I forgot all about mentioning those...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I'd try Lubuntu first... Xubuntu is not that much more easy on resources than Ubuntu running Gnome 2
    Never upgrade your working system to the newest release without thorough testing on the actual hardware you will be running it on.
    Never perform a system update in a live session
    Installed Ubuntu Touch 1.0 on my Nexus 7. And loving it!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by not found View Post
    Xubuntu is not that far off from normal Ubuntu when it comes to resource usage.

@OP,

Try straight Debian or Crunchbang.
    Last edited by mips; September 28th, 2011 at 02:57 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Thanks for all answers, I noticed that lubuntu run smoothly. Since it contains a few packages that I'm not interested in, do I wonder if there are any major draw backs for installing Ubuntu server and install lxde, chromium/firefox, thunderbird, libre office from there? How much configuration is done in a regular install?

Beans

Use the Minimal install CD. The server cd has server related stuff on it you don't need. Or use the Alternate CD and do a base install.

Might as well wait for 11.10 to be released as it's just around the corner.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I disagree about Xubu being roughly the same as Gnome 2 on resources. That is only true if the user has all the compositing stuff turned on and uses heavier applications than the ones that ship standard with Xubu.

Xubu 10.04 runs awesomely on my old hand-me-down which is literally half of the OP's hardware.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Lightbulb Re: Switching from ubuntu to ?

Quote Originally Posted by SpinningAround View Post
    I recently tested Ubuntu 11.10 beta2 and noticed that it isn't very lightweight at lest not on my low-medium end laptop. I get around ~0.5 load using Unity2D when surfing which is way to high since I will use the laptop for IDE like Eclipse and Netbeans.

What are there for alternatives to Ubuntu that uses less resources, there are few requirements, good repositories, good integration with ssh/sftp (like nautilus and seahorse), easy to install packages similar to apt-get.

System specification
    Code:
    Laptop:        Asus X51R
    CPU:        Intel Celeron M 530 / 1.73 GHz
    RAM:        1 GB
    Graphics:    ATI Radeon Xpress 1100 (128mb shared)
    I humbly suggest Debian6: Gnome 2.3 desktop environment, and check out http://mozilla.debian.net/ to keep iceweasel (firefox) up to date. Everything else is easily accessible through Software Center and Synaptic Package Manager (the same as Ubuntu). Go to the core... Debian

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast