Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tripleboot Ubuntu, Arch and Windows 7

Beans

Tripleboot Ubuntu, Arch and Windows 7

Hello,

I bought a Thinkpad x61s a few days back and thought about making it into a "linuxlaptop". My plan is to install Ubuntu, Arch Linux and Windows 7 into tripleboot and to make an ntfs-partition for common use (music, documents and stuff). For clarification, Ubuntu as a friendly, easy-to-use linux and Arch as a learn-to-do-stuff linux. My problem is the partitioning. I have a 160gb drive and I don't know how should I partition it. I googled around and something about installing the linuxes into the same home directory came up. Also, I have no idea which OS I should install first and and the bootloader is giving me creeps. I know I should propably make an "extended drive" or something (google brought this up too..) to make so many partitions but once again, I have no idea.

I have Gparted burn into usbstick, and technically I can do the partitioning. I just don't know how I should do it. :/

Don't kick my *** too much if I posted this to a wrong sector, because I think I propably did.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Tripleboot Ubuntu, Arch and Windows 7

What is your current partition setup? You can only have 4 primary partitions on a disk, or 3 primary and one extended which itself can hold many logical partitions. To show how you have the disk at present I suggest you run gparted and send us a screenshot of what that shows, or if you already have the ubuntu live CD, boot to that and use gparted from the live CD. You could also run the command
    Code:
    sudo fdisk -l
    in a terminal and copy here the output from that.

Windows OS partition must be a primary partition or it will not boot, but linux can be on logical partitions without a problem. Therefore the best way I suggest to do what you want is to have windows installed first, which I assume you have already got. Unfortunately windows 7 often is installed using all the maximum of 4 partitions available on a disk, hence my question.

From your answers to the above, we will be more able to suggest a sensible partition layout for you. However, to answer one query straight away, you can not safely use the same /home folder for both Arch and Ubuntu without causing potential problems, though you can have different /home folders for each OS in the same partition.
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 16.04-64bit --- Code-tags --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo --- Wireless-Info

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Welcome to the forums.

I do not know Arch nor Win7, but will offer a suggestion, others may have something slightly different.

I understand Windows needs 30GB+ depending on what you install. If most data is elsewhere you may not need a lot more. NTFS partition really need 30% free space so do not make Windows too small.

I have multiple Ubuntu installs and use 20-25GB for / (root) but have all data in other partitions. Some data is in my old shared NTFS (with XP) and now most is in a shared ext3. But that only works since all systems are Ubuntu and there are no UID/GID user/group issues on ownership. Same UID/GID issues as well as software version differences make sharing a /home not a good suggestion. If you have most data in your shared NTFS partition /home does not have to be large. My /home (still in /) is about 1GB with 3/4s of that as .wine with Picasa as wine is more difficult to move. But I move all data folders and some hidden folders with data like Firefox & Thunderbird profiles to the NTFS shared so I have all the same email & bookmarks in all systems.

Window has to have a primary partition, so I would install it first. I would install everything else in logical partitions, so you leave the primaries available in case you want them later. You can share swap as long as you do not hibernate.
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

If you're able to wipe the drive, what I like to do is create partitions as I go, instead of doing them all at once. Install Windows, which will create two primary partitions (one 100MB system reserved and one for Windows itself), and leave the rest unallocated. Then do the same for each Linux distro, using extended partitions, and then finally format whatever is left as the storage partition (do this within one of the newly installed OSes).

But, you would need a Windows disc which probably didn't come with your laptop.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Not everyone likes my methods (because they are very simple and prone to long-term stability, which not everyone in IT likes these days), but I have been using these methods for a long time to have many, many OSs on my computers:

http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Multiple_OS_Installation
    Last edited by perspectoff; January 20th, 2012 at 02:41 AM.

UbuntuGuide/KubuntuGuide

Right now the killer is being surrounded by a web of deduction, forensic science,
    and the latest in technology such as two-way radios and e-mail.

Beans

Thank you for quick responses.

My current partitioning is... quite a mess, so I was thinking about wiping it all clean. And I do have a Windows disk, bought separately.

So if I understood you correctly, I should now install Windows on a primary partition. I may install some programs, maybe a game or two (the oldies but goldies, I have a PC for "hc-gaming") so I should use around 40gb for it to be sure? Then install Ubuntu and Arch to a logical partition, and make it, umm, 20-30gb? Then swap of course, and after that make the storage partition. Correct me if I'm not following.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Personally I would never install Windows in a partition smaller than 60gb, and that is a bare minimum. Windows bloats really fast even if you don't use it alot. If you want to game from that windows then your going to need an external drive for your games or something like that.

With that said, for your machine I would give Windows at least 60gb, Ubuntu around 30 GB, Arch I have never used by I would say no less than 20GB. That leaves 50GB for your media partition. You can change these for your own needs, but this is what I would do.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Since you are going to have a shared data partition, you'd be fine with 20 gb for both arch and ubuntu (I have mine set up like that, also with a shared data partition). I cannot speak to the size of your windows partition.

Beans

Whatever partitioning scheme you decide on install Windows FIRST!

If you install it after you have installed any linux distro it will overwrite GRUB.

Beans

Little late but anyway, did it and it's working. Thx everyone

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast