Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Questions! su denied? How do I see my ntfs partition? NOOB with Android experience

Beans

Questions! su denied? How do I see my ntfs partition? NOOB with Android experience

Android is actually what drew me to Linux. I've been rooting and flashing to my heart's content for about a year. I've done some very basic commands in terminal with Android and have a glacier, sensation, and vibrant all running cm7 nightlies. Some of you will probably recognize my screen name from XDA. I'm comfortable with the basics of adb and fastboot but don't know any programming at all.

I'm currently running Ubuntu Gnome 11.04 on a dual-boot setup with my xp media center toshiba satellite m115-s3094 laptop. I actually chose "install inside windows" from the installer but for some reason ended up here instead, which I think I'm happier with anyway. *shrug*

I'm trying to figure out if I can view my windows files on the ntfs partition, or can Linux not read it? I know Android (also ext4) does just fine with fat32. Is there a way for me to view files on the other partition?

I'd like to commit completely to Linux as my only os but I want to make sure I'm still compatible with all my other files. I only started poking around with this earlier today but so far I'm loving it! All of my data is already backed up in dropbox and firefox sync so I'm good to go!

My friend (software developer and long-time linux geek), to test that I really am in dual-boot, told me to save a file, reboot, reopen it and give her the output of the df command from Terminal. Here it is, I'm not sure what I'm looking at.

josh@ubuntu:~$ df
    Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
    /dev/loop0 6797452 2139836 4312324 34% /
    none 501160 652 500508 1% /dev
    none 507768 184 507584 1% /dev/shm
    none 507768 96 507672 1% /var/run
    none 507768 0 507768 0% /var/lock
    /dev/sda1 77834892 74327344 3507548 96% /host

I tried the su command and it asked for the password, but then no characters would register when I tried to type in my password so of course I got su denied when I hit enter. Not sure wtf that's about.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Beans

Re: Questions! su denied? How do I see my ntfs partition? NOOB with Android experienc

Hi,new to site here,just though id ask a few tech auestions if you don't mind

Beans

Re: Questions! su denied? How do I see my ntfs partition? NOOB with Android experienc

My wife and I have druid globals, I would like to know how hard they are to hack and other is..... how hard is it top get into a lap top and access web cam/what controls/would one Have.wireless?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Phateless View Post
    Android is actually what drew me to Linux. I've been rooting and flashing to my heart's content for about a year. I've done some very basic commands in terminal with Android and have a glacier, sensation, and vibrant all running cm7 nightlies. Some of you will probably recognize my screen name from XDA. I'm comfortable with the basics of adb and fastboot but don't know any programming at all.

I'm currently running Ubuntu Gnome 11.04 on a dual-boot setup with my xp media center toshiba satellite m115-s3094 laptop. I actually chose "install inside windows" from the installer but for some reason ended up here instead, which I think I'm happier with anyway. *shrug*

I'm trying to figure out if I can view my windows files on the ntfs partition, or can Linux not read it? I know Android (also ext4) does just fine with fat32. Is there a way for me to view files on the other partition?

I'd like to commit completely to Linux as my only os but I want to make sure I'm still compatible with all my other files. I only started poking around with this earlier today but so far I'm loving it! All of my data is already backed up in dropbox and firefox sync so I'm good to go!

My friend (software developer and long-time linux geek), to test that I really am in dual-boot, told me to save a file, reboot, reopen it and give her the output of the df command from Terminal. Here it is, I'm not sure what I'm looking at.

josh@ubuntu:~$ df
    Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
    /dev/loop0 6797452 2139836 4312324 34% /
    none 501160 652 500508 1% /dev
    none 507768 184 507584 1% /dev/shm
    none 507768 96 507672 1% /var/run
    none 507768 0 507768 0% /var/lock
    /dev/sda1 77834892 74327344 3507548 96% /host

I tried the su command and it asked for the password, but then no characters would register when I tried to type in my password so of course I got su denied when I hit enter. Not sure wtf that's about.

Thanks in advance for any help!
    You won't see your password - type it and enter.

Use sudo instead of su

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by IronHead View Post
    Hi,new to site here,just though id ask a few tech auestions if you don't mind
    Please start your own thread - here's a link that'll start one - http://ubuntuforums.org/newthread.ph...ewthread&f=326

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by forestpiskie View Post
    You won't see your password - type it and enter.

Use sudo instead of su
    That was my first thought, but I tried it multiple times and it didn't work.

Will try again with sudo.

I took another look in my windows file system and I do see an ubuntu directory sized about 7gb. Ubuntu is also listed in windows programs as something I can uninstall, so it appears it did install inside windows after all.

So does that mean there is no way to access the windows file system from within ubuntu? Does that also mean if I wipe and install only ubuntu that it will run much faster?

My 80 gb hard drive only has 3gb available right now...

As a side note, can anyone tell me some basics on the differences between kde and gnome, and different versions of gnome? I don't even know where to begin.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

You are using wubi - your windows files are available already in /host.

I've changed the prefix to suit as well.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by forestpiskie View Post
    You are using wubi - your windows files are available already in /host.

I've changed the prefix to suit as well.
    Thanks! So where did I get gnome from? And a trip back to windows confirms that ubuntu shows up in my add/manage programs list, and there's a 7gb ubuntu directory on C.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Phateless View Post
    Thanks! So where did I get gnome from? And a trip back to windows confirms that ubuntu shows up in my add/manage programs list, and there's a 7gb ubuntu directory on C.
    Wubi is only a method of installing Ubuntu - once it's installed, it's pretty much standard Ubuntu. So, you get Gnome and Unity and it looks and feels exactly like normal Ubuntu, because it is
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdalbum View Post
    Wubi is only a method of installing Ubuntu - once it's installed, it's pretty much standard Ubuntu. So, you get Gnome and Unity and it looks and feels exactly like normal Ubuntu, because it is
    Got'cha. So it's basically full-fledged Ubuntu, but the installation (and removal) can take place under windows? I can not get inside Ubuntu from within windows, I have to reboot and select it from the boot menu.

Will it run much faster if I install it solo?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast