Thread: how do install usbmodeswitch?

Beans

how do install usbmodeswitch?

Hi all.....completely new to linux! have experience with hardware and bios but not so great within OS's

So i have been struggling getting my usb internet dongle working...but firstly i can't even mange to install usbmodeswitch- I have modeswitch and modeswitch data in a folder on ubuntu desktop, when i go into terminal i then get somewhat lost, just cannot find the right commands to initiate install of the usbmode from desktop folder...

some advice would be greatly appreciated.

Beans

Re: how do I install usbmodeswitch?

ok..modeswitch installed...and data...not that I managed to install it, after looking about ubuntu i found that there was already an installtion of it! but how do i get it to do its stuff...my internet dongle is still showing as storage device...cannot uninstall as storage device?...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: how do I install usbmodeswitch?

usbmodeswitch is preinstalled, I believe.

You don't necessarily have to "unmount" the virtual CD.

I mean, did you try just setting up the connection in the Network Manager applet? Click on the network applet on the top panel and come down to Edit Connections... and then go to the Mobile Broadband tab and click Add.

You might need to "eject" the virtual CD, but then you might not.

Don't "Safely Remove" the virtual CD because this will remove power to the USB device.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans

Re: how do install usbmodeswitch?

thanks..but, wont let me eject cd device associated with dongle...when i power down cd device dongle still getting power (light flashing)...but when i set up in network manager have no joy getting internet connection?