Thread: 870k+ load cycle count on WD green drives

Beans

Exclamation 870k+ load cycle count on WD green drives

Hi. While looking for info on what drives to buy next for my fileserver I found a neat little surprise. The WD green drives are so green they are parking the heads so often their lifetime can easily be reduced to less than a year. Checking my two 1Tb WD drives I see the "Load/Unload Cycle Count" has a value over 870 000 (each) after running for just over a year. They have a minimum rating of 300 000 for a lifetime...

How alarmed should I be? I was going to upgrade the server with another 1 Tb drive but it seems I should get three new drives and replace the WD green ones? After doing so, can they still be used for anything or should they be tossed?

They are currently in a raid5 setup with two other drives. I trust that the raid-array could be rebuilt if one green drive dies, however, with the other one being at the verge of death, can I still sleep well at night?

Beans

Re: 870k+ load cycle count on WD green drives

Found more info if anyone is interested:

"the drives are designed to be good for 1 million parks"
    apparently, although my retailer stated 300k. I do not know for sure.

Seems it will be sufficient to disable "IntelliPark" with WDidle3:
    http://www.synology.com/support/faq_...g=enu&q_id=407

and hope the drives won't fail shortly after 1 million parks.

This guys drives have reached 1.3 million parks, still working fine
    http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum...9577#r22139577

I'm just going to let them be in the raid5 array and hope all works out in the end.

Lesson to be learned: if buying WD green drives, disable IntelliPark at day 1 and live happy