Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Can't boot from USB

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Can't boot from USB

I've been running Live USB trying various versions for some months. I suggest following these instructions very slowly step by step, using at least a 4GB USB and whichever Ubuntu ISO you want to try.

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/ubuntu/download

I also suggest setting "Persistence" on the installer software to about 2.5GB, that way you can install extra software and save all your settings while testing out the installation.

First thing, of course, is to be sure that USB drive is set to be the first BIOS priority for booting.
    New to Linux. Currently dual boot Lubuntu 10.10 with W7 on Acer One netbook. Experimenting with Mint 15 XFCE on netbook and a Dell laptop with peripherals (Persistent 8GB Live USB.)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

On my Dell 530 desktop, I've booted from an 8Gb USB stick (can't remember type), a 2GB SD card in a USB reader, and two 4GB Kingston USB sticks.
    The first two can be set up and seen as if they are normal hard drives - i.e. with a partition table. The Kingston drives fail on boot if they're formatted that way and had to be formatted unpartitioned.
    I think you can do this in Windows but I did it in Linux using the command
    Code:
    sudo mkdosfs -I /dev/sdx
    changing sdx to whatever your USB stick mounts as and being sure to use 'sdx' not 'sdx1' etc.

then you can use unetbootin to install to the USB stick in the normal way.

The general point is that different USB sticks behave differently when used as boot devices and how/whether they boot will depend on the type of stick and the BIOS of the machine you're booting from. They were not necessarily designed as boot devices so this doesn't mean there's anything wrong with them!

Beans

Hi,

I decided to try booting again and this time I waited. It took about one hour and a half for Ubuntu to open. Though I don't think so, is this normal?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by BonbonRose View Post
    Hi,

I decided to try booting again and this time I waited. It took about one hour and a half for Ubuntu to open. Though I don't think so, is this normal?
    1.5 hour? definitely it's NOT.

Edit: Not sure if it's mentioned somewhere here (sorry if I didn't go through the whole thread again) but have you checked MD5SUM for your downloaded image of Ubuntu?

WasMeHere is offline Iced Almond Soy Ubuntu, No Foam
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by amjjawad View Post
    1.5 hour? definitely it's NOT.

Edit: Not sure if it's mentioned somewhere here (sorry if I didn't go through the whole thread again) but have you checked MD5SUM for your downloaded image of Ubuntu?
    Better late than never

What computer is it? Did it respond reasonably fast, when it finally had installed the live system? (Could you do normal tasks like browsing local files, browsing the internet, monitoring the system?)

Did your system fall back to USB 1.1? Or were there errors reading or transferring data from the USB drive? Or was it very difficult and time-consuming to identify the hardware of your computer?

Beans
    Distro

Ok few words and I'm logging off ...

I have checked the thread and didn't find any post mentioning MD5SUM so that must be step no.1 IMHO.

Step no.2 is: if your current USB Drive didn't work, try another one.

As for BIOS, 99% I say it must be USB-HDD so I guess you are ok at that point but it must be something else that preventing your system from booting.

Finally, make sure you are following the right procedure to create your LiveUSB and most important than this, use a good tool for that and try to test it on another machine if possible.

That's all what I could think of

Good luck and keep us updated

Edit:
    It might be worth to try another USB Port. Sometimes, there could be a problem with one particular port and it happened to me and others all the time so just try another USB Port, you won't lose anything
    Last edited by amjjawad; October 1st, 2011 at 01:02 PM.

Beans

Hi,

What computer is it? Did it respond reasonably fast, when it finally had installed the live system? (Could you do normal tasks like browsing local files, browsing the internet, monitoring the system?)
    I have XP Professional SP3. As soon as Ubuntu opened it was fairly normal and every thing opened well.

Did your system fall back to USB 1.1? Or were there errors reading or transferring data from the USB drive? Or was it very difficult and time-consuming to identify the hardware of your computer?
    I just don't know where the problem is.

I've been trying to get the MD5SUM and found a number/ code. From what I got here (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM) I don't think it should be just a text. Also I'm not sure what I opened here at my PC is a terminal window. It's called "HyperTerminal" but it doesn't work, just some windows popping up. (Start > All Prog. > Accessories > Communications > Hyper Terminal)

Can someone tell me what's wrong.. This is all new to me.

WasMeHere is offline Iced Almond Soy Ubuntu, No Foam
    Beans

1. Something went extremely slowly during the live boot with your usb stick. We don't know why. Maybe it would be faster with another stick. But I think that once booted, it's OK. From the live system, I think you can install Ubuntu to your hard disk and get a good operating system. I suggest that you install it side-by-side with Winxp (dual boot).

2. If you want to check the md5sum of a file run
    Code:
    md5sum filename
    and compare the output with what you find via the internet, e.g.
    Code:
    8b1085bed498b82ef1485ef19074c281 ubuntu-11.04-desktop-i386.iso
    Edit: In Ubuntu you start a terminal window with ctrl + alt + t
    or via the menu Program -- Accessories -- Terminal
    In Windows the corresponding program is sometimes called DOSprompt or terminal window. I think you find in the menu All Programs -- Accessories. It is also started via 'run a program' with the command cmd
    Last edited by WasMeHere; October 6th, 2011 at 04:53 AM. Reason: terminal

Beans
    Distro

ALL what you need is here:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuHashes

and here:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM

Read through these two and you'll be good to go.

Beans

Hi,

OK. I manged to open a terminal window in both Windows and Ubuntu, but I couldn't get the command line right. I tried everything in the "HowToMD5SUM" but I just get error messages like "not recognized as internal or external command" and "can't find the patch specified"

Sorry if this seems silly, but this is all new to me.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast