Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Xubuntu vs Lubuntu

Beans

Re: Xubuntu vs Lubuntu

+1 for Lubuntu with your specs.

Beans

I'd have to +1 Xubuntu..(specifically Xubuntu 11.10 both 32 & 64 bit flavors) coming from someone who runs a lot of linux distros from macpup/opensuse/bodhi/ubuntu/mint to all sorts of alternative window managers, xmonad/fluxbox/icewm/kde/gnome/ etc... Xubuntu is a very nice environment.. xfce4 and xfwm4 have come a LONG way and are worth taking a second look at.. virtual environment, HDD-install, live cd,, whatever you prefer..

definitely stable feeling and light on resources... yes..yes.. other window mangers etc are lighter... just saying... the vanilla xubuntu experience is pretty nice.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

My hand-me-down computer has identical specs (512 RAM, Celeron processor) and runs Xubuntu just fine. I get the little extras that matter to me (the wonderful Xfce panel with "goodies" like a weather applet and such) without the big drain on resources.

I have experienced no discernible difference in speed between Lubu and Xubu on this computer so far.

Your mileage may vary, of course, but it's neat that even though my machine is 8 years old now, I don't have to give up the little things in the desktop interface that I like.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Xubuntu 12.04 LTS is the best linux distro at the moment.
    Last edited by Marzata; May 10th, 2012 at 09:06 AM.

Beans

I tend to agree with Marzata. Xubutu is what Ubuntu 10.04 was. Sure you can still have gnome 2 but, if you want to install and go, Xubuntu has it all! The only thing I miss is Rythembox and a right click format for USB drives (Use gparted instead). and I just don't want to install the required packages for I fear it will weight things down!

Xubuntu got me back into Ubuntu!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Marzata View Post
    Xubuntu 12.04 LTS is the best linux distro at the moment.
    Opinion!
    CrunchBang Linux
    Plz no tpe lik dis or no anser!!
    The search tool can be found in the upper right corner of your screen, please use it to your advantage, especially before asking questions.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

You can have them both. Just install Xubuntu (12.04) and after that install LXDE.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by codingman View Post
    Opinion!
    One shared by me and a huge host of others!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I've tried both Xubuntu and Lubuntu and I would have to say Lubuntu works best on older slower machines...

Beans

I am surprised to see xubuntu mentioned as stable. I am using it (12.4) on a daily basis (although it crashes all the time, every single day there is at least one crash report from ubuntu core or some other application). I installed xubuntu on some other machine and it did the same, kept crashing.

I have used lubuntu very little but have installed it in a few machines and never had a problem. Lubuntu is more lighweight than xubuntu.. I know this is not a debian discussion, however lubuntu can never win/compete Debian Squeeze in terms of lightness, resources use etc (sorry for this! but it is a hard fact! I have installed squeeze+xfce or lxde on some machines, bringing the users smile back after their pc couldn't handle new software well under windows ).

As for xubuntu, is not that lightweight, and I couldn't install in on a machine with 256 mb, right from the installation process you can feel that xubuntu is not that much lightweight. However once installed it has moderate ram memory requests. Despite the crashes, xubuntu remains a wondefull experience, I have used it in (heavy) daily basis, and it remains one of the best distros for new users coming from ms windows.

So the final words are..

- I believe lubuntu can install on even older machines compared to xubuntu
    - If you can have xubuntu without xfce crashing (hope new versions are improved) then it is worth using it, xubuntu remains a wonderfull experience
    - Using lubuntu you do not miss anything, you can customize it as you wish and have a great OS for daily basis usage! after all whatever job you do under xubuntu you can do it in lubuntu too!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast