Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Photoshop shortcuts in GIMP

Beans

Re: Photoshop shortcuts in GIMP

@prokoudine
    My rant was about taking away choice.
    Way more serious graphic artists use Photoshop than Gimp.
    Making it easier for these same artists to switch between Gimp and Photoshop could only be good for Gimp.
    The problem I see is devs who say it has to be their way. I am more than willing to admit that devs, especially Gimp developers, have some great ideas, but to throw away an OPTIONAL setting, because it is not "The Gimp Way" seems silly.
    For casual users, the shortcuts are a minor point, but to stretch the assumption, why is "ctrl"+s mean save? why don't we change it to "shift"+d for "don't want to lose my work"? I mean it is more logical and obvious for newbies...
    However "ctrl"+s has been the standard for most programs for a very long time.
    When I was using Gimp at the exclusion of Photoshop (Yes I tried using it for a few years to learn it) one of the first things I did was change the curves shortcut to "ctrl"+m, because that is what I was used to in Photoshop and, while I use curves on almost every photograph, I rarely use layer merge.
    Having a preset to Photoshop shortcuts as an OPTION would have made things a little easier.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by graphius View Post
    @prokoudine
    My rant was about taking away choice.
    There wasn't much choice. To the best of my knowledge very few people knew that this file existed anyway.

Way more serious graphic artists use Photoshop than Gimp. Making it easier for these same artists to switch between Gimp and Photoshop could only be good for Gimp.
    Oh, I can argue about that till I'm blue in the face Shortcuts are just a tip of the iceberg. There's a LOT more to interaction than them. And how about all docs and tuts online that refer to GIMP's shortcuts? You might as well use icons from Photoshop.

See, few years ago I made shortcut schemes for Inkscape that mimic AI, Corel DRAW and some other apps. And you know what? It was plain terrible. Every app had a mind of its own, a good chunk of functionaility couldn't be mapped at all, and a lot of what was possible felt just unnatural. It was (and still is) a cripple all around.

My experience with updating PS scheme for GIMP is more or less the same. So no, I seriously refuse to understand how tricking yourself into using shortcuts from another application makes life easier. It simply doesn't make any sense to me. Sorry Of course, YMMV.

The problem I see is devs who say it has to be their way. I am more than willing to admit that devs, especially Gimp developers, have some great ideas, but to throw away an OPTIONAL setting, because it is not "The Gimp Way" seems silly.
    Everyone is encouraged to support that outside of GIMP.

Having a preset to Photoshop shortcuts as an OPTION would have made things a little easier.
    As stated before, it wasn't any popular anyway.
    Last edited by prokoudine; October 22nd, 2011 at 07:26 PM.
    Libre Graphics World — news and articles on free design and photography software

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

prokoudine, I truly do understand and respect that GIMP is an entirely different interface all together. And I recognise that trying to mimic Photoshop could be a bad choice if you want to get to know the program intimately. But if you're just getting used to a lot of new software because you come from a Mac/Windows environment, it's a bit of a mouthful.

Learning to use any interface is a matter of developing habits, meaning there is not one "perfect" way of doing it, and if a shortcut layout reminiscent of earlier experiences facilitates that, it's a totally reasonable thing to do.

Nevertheless, at least we have the choice, and that's the important thing. I was just hoping for some constructive replies, allowing us to further develop the shortcut layout to bridge Photoshop and GIMP nicely. I was never trying to turn one into the other, I meant it as a public experiment.
    Last edited by jampe; October 28th, 2011 at 01:49 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jampe View Post
    prokoudine, I truly do understand and respect that GIMP is an entirely different interface all together. And I recognise that trying to mimic Photoshop could be a bad choice if you want to get to know the program intimately. But if you're just getting used to a lot of new software because you come from a Mac/Windows environment, it's a bit of a mouthful.
    Which is why I'd rather see more good introductional video tutorials And I will probably end up doing some.

Learning to use any interface is a matter of developing habits, meaning there is not one "perfect" way of doing it,
    Quite possibly

Nevertheless, at least we have the choice, and that's the important thing.
    Personally I'm grateful to whomever maintains that shortcut scheme
    Libre Graphics World — news and articles on free design and photography software

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12