Thread: Anyone have Ubuntu on a Toshiba Portege R835-P56X?

Beans

Question Anyone have Ubuntu on a Toshiba Portege R835-P56X?

I want to install Ubuntu. But my final concern is whether I'll be able to get drivers or something similar to make sure the functions that work on this laptop under Windows 7 will also work under Ubuntu.

For example, I'm worried about decreased battery performance since this laptop with Windows 7 has some features to save battery life. I'm also concerned about shortcut keys which I use to toggle WiFi on / off, etc. and I'm thinking the shortcut keys on the keyboard may not work after I install Ubuntu.

I did a Google Search but couldn't return much. I know this is a popular laptop model. Is anyone currently running Ubuntu on your Toshiba Portege R835-P56X or a similar model and if so what kind of issues did you run into?

Thanks in advance!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Anyone have Ubuntu on a Toshiba Portege R835-P56X?

Hi. I do not have this laptop but did a search on google for you. According to this page:
    http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/tosh...-34449812.html

it works flawlessly with 11.04. I am not sure about the wifi button but you can set shortcuts/buttons in Ubuntu. Hope this helps.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kimda View Post
    Hi. I do not have this laptop but did a search on google for you. According to this page:
    http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/tosh...-34449812.html

it works flawlessly with 11.04. I am not sure about the wifi button but you can set shortcuts/buttons in Ubuntu. Hope this helps.
    Yes. I read this article. It doesn't say it works flawless.. it says almost.. here are some reported issues, just wondering if anyone has a way to improve battery life or get the shortkey keyboard keys to work.. or if there are any other issues.

"The trackpad took just a bit of tweaking to get it to my preferred sensitivity, but otherwise was great. For some reason, running Ubuntu sucks a little more power so I ended up getting more in the 6 hour range from the battery. If I played around with it, I'm sure it could be better. Dual booting was a snap (and I actually used the in Windows installer for the first time... and had no problems). There are still a couple of the Function buttons that I have yet to get working like the "lock screen". Ubuntu also doesn't seems to recognize the dedicated trackpad disable button also... but maybe I just haven't found the right settings yet."

Beans

Hi,

I have a Portege R835-P56X. Like you, I did some research before installing Linux. After reading up on it, I opted to install ubuntu dual boot with windows, primarily because I am still learning Linux and wanted to be able to rely on windows as a backup in case I should encounter problems while on the go. That said, the only real issues I've faced are lack of hotkey functionality and a few minor issues I haven't had the time to fix.

Beans

Question Re: Anyone have Ubuntu on a Toshiba Portege R835-P56X?

Quote Originally Posted by lyspooner View Post
    Hi,

I have a Portege R835-P56X. Like you, I did some research before installing Linux. After reading up on it, I opted to install ubuntu dual boot with windows, primarily because I am still learning Linux and wanted to be able to rely on windows as a backup in case I should encounter problems while on the go. That said, the only real issues I've faced are lack of hotkey functionality and a few minor issues I haven't had the time to fix.
    That's cool! How's the battery life in Ubuntu compared to Windows?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Hi
    I have a Satellite R830 (almost same hardware as you, surprising. It is R830-136 which has an amazing 128GB SSD), wiped out win$ and put Ubuntu 11.04 x64 on it.
    Replaced also RAM to have 8GB. It is bazingly fast now, i do a lot of heavy development task on it.
    The battery life is very satisfying, and close to the specs given for windows.

The only things I did not have the time to fix is the specific toshiba buttons above the keyboard, and the synaptic touchpad driver (multi-touch). Some report that USB3 driver is not enabled, but I hope this will be fixed with 11.10 to come.
    Primum non nocere

Beans

I installed it a couple of day ago ago on my Toshiba Portege R835. I did a dual boot with Windows 7 as well, and as others have shared it was straightforward. The volume control (esc, F6, F7) work. The F3 for hibernating also work. The rest of the hot keys are not responsive. I haven't tried to adjust them.

The battery drains a bit faster than on Windows 7. I am probably getting about 4 hours as opposed to 6-7 hours on Windows 7.

Apart from that it runs perfectly.