Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: RaLink RT3090 Wireless Woes on 11.10 b2

Beans

Re: RaLink RT3090 Wireless Woes on 11.10 b2

Well, I completely gave up and simply didn't have time to continually test everything - I never got that pre-built DKMS package to work either but I did manage to find out how to successfully compile the Ralink driver direct from their website and am using that with zero problems (along with having to blacklist acer_wmi as previously suggested).

Here's what to do if anyone's interested. Once downloaded, unpack and edit as follows:

in the file ../common/cmm_wpa.c :

Code:
    UCHAR PrimaryRsnie;
      BOOLEAN bMixCipher = FALSE; // indicate the pairwise and group cipher are different
      UCHAR p_offset;
    - WPA_MIX_PAIR_CIPHER FlexibleCipher = MIX_CIPHER_NOTUSE; // it provide the more flexible cipher combination in WPA-WPA2 and TKIPAES mode
    + WPA_MIX_PAIR_CIPHER FlexibleCipher = WPA_TKIPAES_WPA2_TKIPAES; // it provide the more flexible cipher combination in WPA-WPA2 and TKIPAES mode
    then lastly in the file ../os/linux/config.mk :
    Code:
    HAS_GREENAP_SUPPORT=n
     #Support MAC80211 LINUX-only function
    -HAS_CFG80211_SUPPORT=y
    +HAS_CFG80211_SUPPORT=n

#Support RFKILL hardware block/unblock LINUX-only function
     HAS_RFKILL_HW_SUPPORT=y
    Run "sudo make ; sudo make install" and you should have a working built module/driver.

It's helpful to blacklist rt2800pci so the system doesn't use this - it will use the new rt3090sta/rt2860 instead after a reboot...

Incidentally, the memory footprint of Unity/Compiz and/or Gnome 3 all started to annoy me too, so I'm using Mint 12/Mate now with excellent results - much less memory usage and a far more responsive system with less swapping to disk due to low physical memory (my S205 only has 2Gb of RAM where 512Mb is reserved as video RAM).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Hi rodhull. -long time no see.

If you successfully used the driver from ralink, wasn't this something the guy trying to solve the bug on launchpad could use to get it fixed?

Beans

Hey - not really I don't think - the issue is with the kernel and the built-in open-source rt2x00 driver, not the proprietary Ralink one...

Beans

Hey rodhull! Sorry to see you leave the land of 'buntu, but glad you're happy (and staying away from the dreaded land of Microsoft)

Mote- I'll give your #20 post a shot again, although I do recall that it didn't work for me the first time around. Perhaps between post 20 and rodhull's latest, I'll get something working. I'll be sure to post back results of what I get working.

Beans

Installing the driver from source is working absolutely fine for me - no idea why the pre-built package never worked for me, but the install is so simple (having learned which bits of the source to change to get it to build) I'm totally happy with this solution. I actually found the instructions on another launchpad bug report for another wireless problem that was related to this one...if I can find the link I'll paste it in later on...

Well - I'm not strictly leaving Ubuntu - Mint is essentially Ubuntu with a fork of Gnome 2 (MATE) plus a more friendly variant of Gnome 3 (MGSE) - same repos/packages for everything else for the most part.

I just find Unity/Compiz so memory-hungry (and the performance is really not snappy enough for me on the whole unless you have ~4Gb+ RAM if you are used to having lots of programs and/or browser tabs open).

On my Lenovo S205 (2Gb RAM - 512Mb reserved for video, 1.5Gb left for everything else) it's difficult to have user switching enabled for 2 users since the footprint of Compiz/Unity whilst two users are simultaneously logged in only leaves a few hundred Mb left free - open more than a couple of tabs for each user in their browsers and the system starts having to swap like crazy (even with vm.swappiness dialled right back).

I still use Ubuntu LTS on all my Linux headless servers (no X you see!) and if I have any servers doing XDMCP in the future I'll use releases pre-11.10 since there's still the ability to use Gnome 2 without any real hacking about...

Also I've still got Ubuntu on my two other desktops I use regularly - one is still on 11.04 for the same reasons above and I'm trialling Cinnamon and MATE desktop on the other Oneiric machine - simple to install ontop of "standard" Ubuntu.

Since Mint shares so much in common with Ubuntu wireless probs like this are still very much there however!

Beans
    Distro

@Rodhull.

You are right the memory usage are to large, and several processes memory usage just keeps growing to what seems to be more that reasonable.

How do you get to switch between users that are logged in without getting that good'old, it ends in black screen after a couple of switches?

I have been checking up on your driver, I find it more sensible than the pre-built DKMS package that only works in one specific version and not the others.
    The drivers(*) that I download from the Ralink support page has different code than you described in you post. What driver are you using?
    Thanks

(*)
    RT3090PCIe
    RT2860PCI/mPCI/CB/PCIe(RT2760/RT2790/RT2860/RT2890)

Beans

Well, as for the user switching - I I really don't know what causes that behaviour - I used to see it too when using Oneiric but I don't get it under Mint - again, it could well be Unity to blame?

The driver I used was from this page:
    http://www.ralinktech.com/en/04_supp...ort.php?sn=501

...the one listed as "RT3090PCIe" - it gives you a file called:

"2010_1217_RT3090_LinuxSTA_V2.4.0.4_WiFiBTCombo_DP O.zip"

My markup to change those files doesn't follow the correct "patch" diff format - it was just from notes I made for myself.

I just checked again, and those locations are definitely there - you're basically just changing one line of code in each of the two files (the lines that need removing are marked with a "-" and the line that you need to replace with has a "+" - the other lines are just so you can navigate to the correct block of code - there may be parts where there are very similar-looking sections...

It works fine but you do have to keep the source code handy and "sudo make clean; sudo make; sudo make install" each time having installed a new kernel - that's when having a DKMS package is more useful!

Beans
    Distro

@rodhull
    You are right, and if i had payed more attention to what I was doing i would have found out myself. I got it installed and it works fine.
    Thanks!!

Beans
    Distro

@rodhull

What would it take to make a dkms packeage out of this driver code?
    My english aren't good enough to make proper jokes about this, but i am not suggesting that you go and make one, I'm just wondering about it. I have seen that some times people are relatively easy making packages out off the proprietary driver code.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rodhull View Post
    Well, I completely gave up and simply didn't have time to continually test everything - I never got that pre-built DKMS package to work either but I did manage to find out how to successfully compile the Ralink driver direct from their website and am using that with zero problems (along with having to blacklist acer_wmi as previously suggested).

Here's what to do if anyone's interested. Once downloaded, unpack and edit as follows:

in the file ../common/cmm_wpa.c :

Code:
    UCHAR PrimaryRsnie;
      BOOLEAN bMixCipher = FALSE; // indicate the pairwise and group cipher are different
      UCHAR p_offset;
    - WPA_MIX_PAIR_CIPHER FlexibleCipher = MIX_CIPHER_NOTUSE; // it provide the more flexible cipher combination in WPA-WPA2 and TKIPAES mode
    + WPA_MIX_PAIR_CIPHER FlexibleCipher = WPA_TKIPAES_WPA2_TKIPAES; // it provide the more flexible cipher combination in WPA-WPA2 and TKIPAES mode
    then lastly in the file ../os/linux/config.mk :
    Code:
    HAS_GREENAP_SUPPORT=n
     #Support MAC80211 LINUX-only function
    -HAS_CFG80211_SUPPORT=y
    +HAS_CFG80211_SUPPORT=n

#Support RFKILL hardware block/unblock LINUX-only function
     HAS_RFKILL_HW_SUPPORT=y
    Run "sudo make ; sudo make install" and you should have a working built module/driver.

It's helpful to blacklist rt2800pci so the system doesn't use this - it will use the new rt3090sta/rt2860 instead after a reboot...

Incidentally, the memory footprint of Unity/Compiz and/or Gnome 3 all started to annoy me too, so I'm using Mint 12/Mate now with excellent results - much less memory usage and a far more responsive system with less swapping to disk due to low physical memory (my S205 only has 2Gb of RAM where 512Mb is reserved as video RAM).
    Hi rodhull,

Thank you for this post. I just want to clarify something before I proceed. In the changes you made, anything that starts with a netagive sign (-) should be removed and anything starting with a positive sign (+) should be added. Is this correct? Please forgive me as I don't know the conventions of compiling modules.

Secondly, in the readme file for the Ralink driver, they also ask to make certain changes to the makefile and the config.mk files. Did you make those changes as well. Thanks for your work so far.

I am having some problems with the rt2800pci module which is allowing me to connect to the internet with sub-optimal speeds. When I run iwconfig wlan0, it shows a very large amount of 'Tx excessive retries' and 'Invlaid Misc' counts. It also ends up slowing down the internet connection for everyone else on the network as soon as I connect. I'm hoping the Ralink driver is able to solve these issues and hopefully even give me 802.11n speeds finally on linux.

Edit: It worked great. No more Tx excessive retries or Invalid Misc with this driver (2010_1217_RT3090_LinuxSTA_V2.4.0.4_WiFiBTCombo_DP O.zip from http://www.ralinktech.com/en/04_supp...se.php?sn=5015). Currently I am unable to check if I can get n-speeds because I'm on a g-speed router.
    Last edited by kpuz; February 20th, 2012 at 09:50 AM.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast