Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: RaLink RT3090 Wireless Woes on 11.10 b2

Beans

RaLink RT3090 Wireless Woes on 11.10 b2

Hello

I have a Lenovo S205 currently running 11.10 beta 2.

I have installed the system fine, and everything works swell except for the Wireless card.

lspci reports the card is a Ralink RT3090 pci.

When I look at the network indicator, its shows the wireless as being disabled. However, whenever I try to enable it, it just defaults straight back to disabled.

So far I have tried the following:

Blacklisting different combinations of old rt drivers (rt2800pci, rt2x00lib etc) - no effect (other than sometimes completely removing wireless from the networking menu)

Installing the rt3090-dkms package from Markus Tisofts ppa - no effect

Compiling source from the ralink website - results in errors (and I have build-essential installed)

Can somebody help out with this issue?

(And no, I will not use ndiswrapper)

Beans

Re: RaLink RT3090 Wireless Woes on 11.10 b2

Just an update again: I'm going to try activating oneiric-proposed and see if any 'in-the-pipeline' updates fix this small issue I'm having too.

Beans

One last update:

I managed to compile the latest rt3090 drivers from Ralink with a few tweaks, but even after this Wireless will not enable in Network Manager.

Gonna try one more idea before bed: Manually copying the rt3090.ko into the kernel drivers staging folder, and see if anything happens then.

In the meantime, any help would be wonderful xD

Beans

GOTCHA!!

Apparently the acer_wmi module is loading at startup which is interfering with the wireless, making it think the switch is constantly off.

Removing and blacklisting this package has resulted in me being able to connect to wireless networks

Im gonna do some speed testing before marking this as solved, but its halfway there xD
    Last edited by OrphanShadow; September 25th, 2011 at 03:06 AM. Reason: typo

Beans

Just as a final note, compiling RT3090 from source and installing apparently doesnt work no matter what I try.

The built in rt2800pci module actually works the best here. Link is limited to Wireless-G speeds however (54Mbps)

At least now, though, I can say it works, and is stable.

Beans

Hi,

Recently I had some trouble getting my lenovo s205 to work with a Oneiric daily build(before beta 2). I could not get the wireless to work. Could you tell what modules you had to blacklist to get rt2800pci to work? Only acer_wmi?

Also, does your machine shutdown ok? Mine was hanging on shutdown, reboot worked ok. Maybe I should give beta 2 a try.

Cheers!

Beans

Hi.
    I have a HP Mini 110 and the wireless card is also rt3090.
    As you know it didn't work well in Ubuntu 11.04 and Ubuntu couldn't recognize the right card, but by installing the right driver from here and blacklisting other cards, it was working pretty well.
    But after upgrading to Ubuntu 11.10 beta2, the wireless is completely disconnected and couldn't find access points and it seems to be switched off although it's on!
    What can i do?
    I searched a lot but didn't get right answer! I really need it!
    Get me a help if you know!
    Thanks a lot!

Beans

Hello,

Try to remove the blacklists you made and it should work after reboot. At least this worked for me.
    My problem now is that i cannot connect to WPA2-PSK wireless networks.

Regards!

Beans

Are there any updates on this? I'm having the same problem after the upgrade...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

same here

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast