Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unity bar to bottom

Beans

Unity bar to bottom

I have seen some people using mac or windows with the bar/dock on left or right side. I know that it saves space, but it the usability is not so good and I have always hated it. I also like unity and want to use it isntead of classic interface. How I can move the bar from left to bottom? Reinstalling some other linux is not answer, because this is my work desktop and ubuntu is most supported here.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Unity bar to bottom

Moving the unity panel is currently not supported . Using Classic Gnome with Awn or GLX dock would be the best option for getting an application launcher on the bottom .
    “Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can".

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Manual

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Quote Originally Posted by Frogs Hair View Post
    Moving the unity panel is currently not supported . Using Classic Gnome with Awn or GLX dock would be the best option for getting an application launcher on the bottom .
    Also, the devs have declared that they will not support moving the dock, and they have been rather adamant about it. They plan on moving it to the right for right-to-left languages, and possibly for multi-monitor setups for people who have the primary monitor on the right, but that's it - and they appear to have made those concessions only grudgingly.

Once the interface settles down a bit, you may see some unofficial hacks to allow it, but I doubt there will ever be any official support for that without a high-level change of leadership at Canonical.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Somewhere I read a comment by Shuttleworth where he said they will not move the Unity bar from its present location because they want it to always sit under the Ubuntu logo. We will have to see Whether this changes or not.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by dpny View Post
    Somewhere I read a comment by Shuttleworth where he said they will not move the Unity bar from its present location because they want it to always sit under the Ubuntu logo.
    In the upcoming release, Oneiric 11.10, those button is moved from the top panel to the Launcher. Maybe in preparation for a possible right-edge option as bbrg548 pointed out. Who knows. (I really didn't research that matter.)

Greetings.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Quote Originally Posted by Krytarik View Post
    In the upcoming release, Oneiric 11.10, those button is moved from the top panel to the Launcher. Maybe in preparation for a possible right-edge option as bbrg548 pointed out. Who knows. (I really didn't research that matter.)

Greetings.
    My understanding is that the RTL language versions would also move the notification area to the left, and would have moved the bfb (and close/min/max buttons and appmenu) to the right if it were still in the panel. But yes, now that the bfb is on the launcher instead of the panel, maybe they'll be willing to consider the idea. They didn't seem very open to the idea even for multi-monitor setups, though, even if they did acknowledge that it probably should be able to be done for that use case.

Beans
    Distro

I, too, have discovered that I can not move the Unity launcher and "panel" to other locations on the screen. I have also read the comments about how they have decided that they always want the launcher to remain "under" the Ubuntu logo. "Under?" I don't want to separate it - I like it together - it works WELL that way. I want to move ALL of it, together.

This decision to limit how the interface is presented is one of the most arbitrary and, I feel quite justified in saying so, arrogant "rules" that I've seen the Ubuntu team make in years. Imposing the layout of the interface and removal of customization options goes against the whole spirit of "Ubuntu" by its own definition. Not to mention that it's just plain rude. There is no good reason to prevent me from moving it to where I want it. I don't care if you want to link it with the logo, fine -- move the logo with it, but it should BE movable.

Sadly, after giving Unity a good try, and enjoying it VERY much, the fact that I can't relocate it has forced me to go back to Gnome - and I do mean forced. I wanted to keep Unity. It's a very good interface, and I will certainly miss it as I have really become quite used to having it. I just don't see how I have a choice. It's either "have it their way and hate it" or "have it my way" .. and frankly, I am going to have it my way.

"If it were truly Unity, it would make me want to be a part of it, not make it be a part of me."-- Chris 2011.
    "I am your father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate."

Beans
    Distro

For completition, you may want to read darkhelmetchris' other - concurrent - post here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...7#post11303477

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by darkhelmetchris
    This decision to limit how the interface is presented is one of the most arbitrary and, I feel quite justified in saying so, arrogant "rules" that I've seen the Ubuntu team make in years. Imposing the layout of the interface and removal of customization options goes against the whole spirit of "Ubuntu" by its own definition. Not to mention that it's just plain rude. There is no good reason to prevent me from moving it to where I want it. I don't care if you want to link it with the logo, fine -- move the logo with it, but it should BE movable.
    As Krytarik pointed out, this was only part of the rationale, and the version of Unity that ships with the next Ubuntu version this month doesn't even use the Home Button in the panel. However, Unity can be disabled and replaced quite simply, and it's not meant to "force" anything or reduce your options in any way. It's just that the interface is very structured for a specific workflow in a way that other shells aren't, and most customization options wouldn't really make sense.

As Krytarik noted in the other thread, there are a variety of other panels and docks, such as Cairo Dock, AWN, DockBarX, that you might want to try out. Just do some Google searching. Like Krytarik, I'm using AWN (with DockBarX added as an applet) and quite happy with it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Try this... Dunno why its viewed as heresy by Canonical, I think it looks cool.

http://www.n00bsonubuntu.net/content...-ubuntu-11-10/
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Giddyup!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast