Thread: Problem with a basic emacs command

Beans

Problem with a basic emacs command

I am running xubuntu 12.10 with emacs 24 and z-shell and I want to be able to increase and decrease the font size in emacs.

I should be able to use C-x C-+ and C-x C-- or equivalently M-x text-scale-increase and M-x text-scale-decrease
    (http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/ma...ext-Scale.html) but nothing happens when I run these commands.

Anyone who has a clue what I am doing wrong here?

Beans

Re: Problem with a basic emacs command

Can you not simply enlarge the font in the terminal application itself? I use the Konsole app in Kubuntu and can change the font size either through the menus or by holding down Ctrl and using the mouse scroll button. Ctrl+/Ctrl- usually works as well.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

AFAICT those commands only work on the GTK client, not in the console client. The documentation doesn't mention it, but it makes some sense since resizing text in a console is more of a tty or terminal-emulator function, whereas X11 apps can do whatever they want with fonts.

Beans

I have tried enlarging the font in the actual terminal, in other applications I can use C-+ and C-- and scrolling aswell but not here.

OK, so it is only in the GUI version of emacs I can use those commands! I rather use the -nw version. Do you know how I zoom in and out in the console one?

Beans

More than likely Emacs is trapping C-+ and C--, and the terminal isn't able to respond. You could try reassigning the hotkeys in the terminal to something else, like maybe using the super (Windows) key. Or try a different terminal emulator.

Beans

OK, thank you, sounds very reasonable. There's no way you know how to reassign these keys?

Beans

Not offhand; I use Konsole generally, I assume you're using whatever's default in XFCE (xfce4-terminal?). Check your settings dialogs, there's probably a simple way to do it.