Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Unity panel always displayed on top of fullscreen windows

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Unity panel always displayed on top of fullscreen windows

Here are two more screenshots of the problem.

This is now in Precise.

Both screenshots are of Firefox (11.0~b2+build1-0ubuntu1).

Both screenshots clearly show the Unity panel across the top.

See the window title, the indicator icons, the clock, the user menu and the system menu?
    None of them shoud be there; furthermore, none of these menus or icons respond to clicks.

The first screenshot is simply firefox in full screen.

The second screenshot shows what happens when the mouse touches the top of the screen while firefox is in full-screen: the tab bar and navigation bars drop down.

You may notice that the background of the panel is different in each screenshot.
    I have set it, in ccsm, to 100% opacity, which somewhat alleviates my frustration (its content is always visble, but at least its background is clear).

The first screenshot shows the brown border of the Ubuntu Forum's page behind the panel, so the panel appears brown.

The second screenshot shows the gray background of the the tab bar behind the panel, so the panel appears gray.

These screenshots were taken by pressing [PrtScr].
    By default, Ubuntu uses gnome-screenshot for [PrtScr].
    The screenshots represent exactly what is displayed on my screen, except they are down-sized for the forum limitations.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by quequotion; February 16th, 2012 at 07:27 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Hi! quequotion,

This is frustrating, I just spent four hours trying to answer your queries and just as I got somewhere and had a Fullscreen of FireFox with top panel icons over it, that worked, - I had a drop-down menu displayed - when I tried to get a Screenshot, a Window opened saying that a script had failed to respond and did I want to wait?

Then everything froze and when I rebooted FireFox was all corrupt.

However I have managed to get one Screenshot that is more or less what is visible, though don't ask me what I did differently. or how I got the screen with the Icons on top. I can not repeat either predictably.
    Another curiosity is that the Gedit shot was only 46KB whereas the other two were 420+Kb originally.

You Posted:
    Neither the Left side LauncherPanel nor the top Panel and top three lines are visible.
    I think you mean the screenshot of gedit, which looks like the correct full-screen behavior. Gedit's slide down menu should cover a few lines when the cursor hits the top of the screen to pull it down and neither the launcher nor the panel should be visible.
    No, I was referring to the FireFox image whose visible display is bounded by the dark surround of the Ubuntu Forum display and the scroll bar on the right side. I will insert the one shot I have of this here.It also shows the fullscreen extended under the launchPad as well as the top Panel
    Screenshot 6at 2012-02-16 19:20:23.jpg
    How did you get that screenshot? I need to know in exact detail.
    I have concluded - although it does not explain everything, that the delay setting in Screenshot has not been working properly and was taking the image before the F11 key took effect.

What I did was this: I ran Screenshot from the Dash and locked its Launcher in the Unity LaunchPad, set to 'Grab the whole desktop', a delay of 3 secs, and 'include pointer'; the 'include the window border' option was ticked but ghosted.
    I then set up FireFox in non-maximized form, with the LaunchPad accessible, opened Screenshot, Clicked on 'Take Screenshot', pressed F11, moved the cursor to where I wanted it to be, and waited.
    Then I saved the result and cropped the two FF shots in Gimp.

I have taken several more screenshots with 'Grab current window' selected, but most do not seem to differ greatly from the others. In the one I am attaching the small FireFox buttons on its menu line can just be seen through the semi-transparent toolbar dark bar, whereas on screen they are on the same level as the bar and are not moved when other lines scroll down.Edit: as clearly seen in this second screenshot, though partly obscured by the X button of the display.
    Screenshot 9at 2012-02-16 20:47:07.jpg

Chao!, bogan.
    Last edited by bogan; February 16th, 2012 at 09:59 PM. Reason: Ed note added.
    "Better Solutions may bring Worsened Problems": After Lao Tse, b. circa 405BC. a contemporary of Confucius, who died circa 600BC.
    They did things differently in those days, apparently!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by bogan View Post
    Hi! quequotion,

This is frustrating, I just spent four hours trying to answer your queries and just as I got somewhere and had a Fullscreen of FireFox with top panel icons over it, that worked, - I had a drop-down menu displayed - when I tried to get a Screenshot, a Window opened saying that a script had failed to respond and did I want to wait?
    Wow. No idea about the script crash... I think the forums may be going through some tinkering as there was a post about upgrading. Sorry your Firefox installation was corrupted.

No, I was referring to the FireFox image whose visible display is bounded by the dark surround of the Ubuntu Forum display and the scroll bar on the right side. I will insert the one shot I have of this here.It also shows the fullscreen extended under the launchPad as well as the top Panel
    Please be careful with your vocabulary. You mean to say that it shows the fullscreen window extended under the launcher as well as the top panel.

"Launchpad" is Ubuntu/Canonical's development platform and support website.

You are spending WAY too much effort to get screenshots.

The main problem with your screenshots is the complicated method by which you are taking them.

Just press the [PrtScr] ("print screen") key.
    It's at the top of your keyboard near the [Pause/Break] [Insert] and [Del] keys.

gnome-screenshot should appear with a dialogue asking where to save the file; if not then the file has been saved to the default location: ~/Pictures/ with a name like "Screenshot at 2012-02-18 02:03:45.png"

Of course, you will have to resize for the forum (1024x768 max).

"Grab current window" screenshots are no use for this thread.
    Only screenshots of the entire screen, like your screenshot of firefox above, can display the behavior I'm talking about.

Anyway, you are experiencing the same bug I am, as proven by your screenshot of firefox.

There should not be either the launcher or the panel visible in that shot.

This is the bug I have been talking about.

You have a full-screen window with stuff appearing on top of it.

That is NOT the correct behavior.
    Last edited by quequotion; February 17th, 2012 at 06:13 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Hi! quequotion,
    You Posted:
    "Grab current window" screenshots are no use for this thread.
    Only screenshots of the entire screen, like your screenshot of firefox above, can display the behavior I'm talking about.
    I am attaching a screenshot taken as you suggested with PrtScrn, and therefore a fullscreen shot. However, it is identical with the last one I took as 'Grab current Window' with Screenshot. After all, if the Window is indeed a Fullscreen one, the two should be identical; though I fully understand your reason for wanting it to be of the Screen as a whole.
    Screenshot 12at 2012-02-17 17:54:44.jpg
    I am fairly sure that I know now what provokes the extension under the Top bar or 'panel', though I am unable to initiate it at will.

When I Maximize a Window, by whatever means, and it extends visibly under the top bar, pressing F11 will produce the Fullscreen display similarly extended, but in most cases the Icons are active; not as you get them, inaccessible.

If the Maximised Window only just reaches the bottom of the Top bar, or the top rows do not show even with a fully transparent Bar, then F11 will produce the 'correct' behavior with no Icons, though there may be Titles or menu headings, depending on the program - no two seem to behave in exactly the same way.

The only 'program' that I have found that predictably behaves as you describe with the 'Panel' Icons not working is a standard Terminal. In Fullscreen mode the Prompt is in the Top bar position and the cursor is unable to activate the Icons, and the only way to get out of it is to press F11 again. In fact the reason that the Mouse is unable to actvate the Icons is probably because its cursor has changed to a text cursor and is not an arrow head cursor, when it changes back the Icons are active again.

As far as my vocabulary is concerned one of the things I find very frustrating and confusing about Linux is the habit of using several different names for the same things. I know that LaunchPad is used for the bug report DB, but it seems to me to be a much more appropriate term for a collection of Launchers, as well as being more descriptive than Dock, ToolBar, Panel, SideBar, Menu, QuickList, or any of the other terms I have come across in the Forums, used to name this not much loved feature. Perhaps if the Launchers themselves were called what they are: 'Icons', the confusion would not occur. But I gather that Icon is a four letter word in Linux.

Chao!, bogan.
    "Better Solutions may bring Worsened Problems": After Lao Tse, b. circa 405BC. a contemporary of Confucius, who died circa 600BC.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

When I Maximize a Window, by whatever means, and it extends visibly under the top bar, pressing F11 will produce the Fullscreen display similarly extended, but in most cases the Icons are active; not as you get them, inaccessible.

If the Maximised Window only just reaches the bottom of the Top bar, or the top rows do not show even with a fully transparent Bar, then F11 will produce the 'correct' behavior with no Icons, though there may be Titles or menu headings, depending on the program - no two seem to behave in exactly the same way.
    This is interesting. At least it shows there are some conditions for this misbehavior, and variations of it. I'm still not sure if it hints at a cause...

How's your desktop setup?
    Are you using Unity (3d) as packaged (no special settings or configurations) or do you have some customized settings anywhere?

Mine is fairly customized, using CCSM as well as special options in /etc/X11/xorg.conf and the proprietary nvidia drivers.
    Default settings don't change the results in my case.

The only 'program' that I have found that predictably behaves as you describe with the 'Panel' Icons not working is a standard Terminal. In Fullscreen mode the Prompt is in the Top bar position and the cursor is unable to activate the Icons, and the only way to get out of it is to press F11 again. In fact the reason that the Mouse is unable to actvate the Icons is probably because its cursor has changed to a text cursor and is not an arrow head cursor, when it changes back the Icons are active again.
    Yes, that is the misbehavior.
    The mouse is not the cause, but shows the symptoms.
    The mouse changes to a text cursor because it should.
    The mouse is interacting with the terminal window.
    If the panel were correctly under the terminal and not visible, this would make sense.

As far as my vocabulary is concerned one of the things I find very frustrating and confusing about Linux is the habit of using several different names for the same things. I know that LaunchPad is used for the bug report DB, but it seems to me to be a much more appropriate term for a collection of Launchers, as well as being more descriptive than Dock, ToolBar, Panel, SideBar, Menu, QuickList, or any of the other terms I have come across in the Forums, used to name this not much loved feature. Perhaps if the Launchers themselves were called what they are: 'Icons', the confusion would not occur. But I gather that Icon is a four letter word in Linux.
    I appreciate and share your frustration.
    Unfortunately this problem is neither limited to linux nor those particular terms.
    Words like "icon", "panel", "menu", etc., are becoming rather flexible and overlap more and more.
    How do we define these as what they "are" when they combine aspects of several concepts?
    We have some new terms with Unity: indicator, lens, scope, etc. which attempt to define the new interface concepts.

For example, here are some descriptions of Unity:

-A user interface based on the desktop metaphor with some innovative design concepts, such as "indicators" which combine aspects of the classic notification-area icon with a miniature application and "lenses" have aspects of both menus, folders, search engines.

-A desktop management plugin for compiz that provides a vertical launcher on the right edge of the screen and a horizontal panel across the top of the screen.

-Ubuntu's dock and panel desktop.

-Canonical's compiz-based desktop paradigm which integrates menus, icons, searching and some interactive applications into two panels.

And so on and so forth ad infinitum.
    Last edited by quequotion; February 18th, 2012 at 02:15 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Hi!, quequotion,

You Posted:
    How's your desktop setup?
    Are you using Unity (3d) as packaged (no special settings or configurations) or do you have some customized settings anywhere?
    Apart from where I have detailed changes, for the purposes of your Thread I have been using the 3D Ubuntu (Unity) log-in. I have used CCSM, but mainly to check that all the Unity Plug-ins were installed.

As far as I know it is bog standard, other than that Gnome 3 is installed but not used.
    I have also used MyUnity to reduce the Launcher size to the minimum and set the transparency/opacity.

I assume that other changes I have made when logged-in to Gnome Classic are not relevant, as the Top Bar behavior we are concerned with does not occur then.
    BTW: in Classic it is possible to Grab & Drag a Window right up to the top of the screen, occupying the Top Bar space, but F11 still gives the 'correct' result.
    Using 2D Unity produced the same results as 3D.

My Video card in this Win7 m/c is an Nvidia GT520 1GB, and uses the NVIDIA x86-290.10 proprietary driver.

At this moment I am using my other Desktop computer, which has a similar set-up, except 11.10 is an updated installation, it does not have Gnome3, and it runs WinXP; whereas the first one has a clean install of 11.10 and runs Win7.
    In both cases the Ubuntu installations are on separate external Sata3/USB Hdds,

So far - its only an hour or so, and I have been updating everything - I have not been able to reproduce
    the' incorrect' behaviour; but I attach a PrtScr image of interest with a Terminal Window F11'd to Fullscreenh.
    Screenshot x1 at 2012-02-18 13:56:24.jpg
    NB the cursor at the moment before I took the shot was a Text cursor. not an arrowhead as shown. and it shows the only interaction with the Top Bar, which was, when clicked over it, to display the Terminal Menu headings; though neither they, nor the icons were active, merely visible through the transparent Terminal Window.

Chao!, bogan.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

BTW: in Classic it is possible to Grab & Drag a Window right up to the top of the screen, occupying the Top Bar space, but F11 still gives the 'correct' result.
    That's interesting... I took a moment to check things out in Unity 2D, but I haven't installed the gnome-fallback ("Classic") or Gnome Shell sessions.
    Not for me. I was able to get correct full-screen in Unity 2D.
    I don't know why, but windows properly full-screen over the Unity 2D panel so it is not visible.

By the way, another vocabulary problem...
    "Gnome 3" is often used interchangably with "Gnome Shell".
    In fact "Gnome Shell" is only the desktop interface component of "Gnome 3" and the title of it's default desktop session.
    "Gnome 3" also includes several other components, particularly the gtk3 toolkit and a bundle of software derived from it, like the file browser nautilus.
    "Classic", "Ubuntu Classic", "Gnome Classic" and "gnome-fallback" all refer to a desktop session comprised of a Gnome 2 look-alike desktop interface built from gtk3 components.

Ubuntu 11.10 has Gnome 3 and uses all of it's components except the shell by default, unless you installed Kubuntu or Xubuntu.

So far - its only an hour or so, and I have been updating everything - I have not been able to reproduce
    the' incorrect' behaviour; but I attach a PrtScr image of interest with a Terminal Window F11'd to Fullscreenh.
    I see. Your set up isn't much different than mine. I wonder why our desktops behave differently.

How about your nvidia settings? Anything special? Overclocking?

NB the cursor at the moment before I took the shot was a Text cursor. not an arrowhead as shown.
    Yeah, it probably changed because gnome-screenshot took focus, even though it wasn't visible yet.
    Notice the terminal cursor has become an outlined rectangle, not a filled one.
    Last edited by quequotion; February 19th, 2012 at 05:24 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Hi!, quequotion,

You Posted:
    Ubuntu 11.10 has Gnome 3 and uses all of it's components except the shell by default, unless you installed Kubuntu or Xubuntu.
    I am not sure this is right, at least it does not tie in with what I have got: Log-in options, { apart from Gnome (No Effects) & User defined } include:

1: 11.10 -16 on USB: Ubuntu. Ubuntu 2D
    2: 11.10-16 + Gnome3: Gnome, Gnome Classic, Ubuntu, Ubuntu 2D.
    3: 11.10-16 + gnome-fallback: Gnome Classic, Ubuntu, Ubuntu 2D.
    {'Gnome' in item 2 is what I assume to be Gnome-Shell, ie it is totally different from any of the others.}
    Not for me. I was able to get correct full-screen in Unity 2D.
    I don't know why, but windows properly full-screen over the Unity 2D panel so it is not visible.
    I have begun to think this whole mystery is just that Panels set to Auto-hide when a Window touches their space, do so with either a 'normal' or a Maximised Window, but not with a FullScreen Window.

I know that that is not always so, ie with gedit they stay hidden, or at least they stay beneath the Window and hence are not visible - except for a transparent Window - nor active.

The 'incorrect' behavior is when - for whatever reason - the Window is displayed under the Panel, even when it has the Focus. ( or am I over-simplifying things.? )

The question I have is another vocablary issue: Panels are said to 'hide', when in fact they scroll aside or up/down, when a Window encroaches or the Mouse Cursor triggers the effect. This is very noticeable with FireFox, because it scrolls several toolbars off the screen.

In other words, it is not a question of:
    :windows properly full-screen over the ..... panel so it is not visible.
    The Panels should not be there but off the screen.
    How about your nvidia settings? Anything special? Overclocking?
    I am using the proprietary 290.10 driver and the only setting I have altered is to set the resolution to 1280x1024x24 which is the lower resolution of my monitors - used singly. No overclocking or multiplexing, CLI or whatever.

Also I am using the Default Desktop Manager, not one of the other various alternatives, and nothing has been Tweaked. The Installation on the USB is totally virgin and I just finished wiping it and updating a re-installation. It behaves the same as the other two Hdd installs although it does not have any extra Gnome apps added.

Chao!, bogan.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I am not sure this is right
    I am.
    Check the ".session" files in /usr/share/gnome-session/sessions/

Ubuntu = gnome-session with Unity (3D) and Compiz
    Ubuntu 2D = gnome-session with Unity 2D and Metacity
    Gnome = gnome-session with Gnome Shell and Metacity
    Gnome Classic = gnome-session with (shoddy) Gnome3 imitation of Gnome2 Panels and Metacity

Canonical did not innovate a whole new desktop; they just re-branded Gnome.
    Nearly all of ubuntu's default software is GTK.

I have begun to think this whole mystery is just that Panels set to Auto-hide when a Window touches their space, do so with either a 'normal' or a Maximised Window, but not with a FullScreen Window.
    As I have said, there are no settings to make this panel auto-hide. It should be layered under the windows as it was in your recent screenshots of firefox, gnome-terminal, and the older shot of gedit.

I know that that is not always so, ie with gedit they stay hidden, or at least they stay beneath the Window and hence are not visible - except for a transparent Window - nor active.
    That is how the panel should behave.
    I cannot reproduce this with any applications in Unity (3D).
    I really wish I could, but I can't.

The 'incorrect' behavior is when - for whatever reason - the Window is displayed under the Panel, even when it has the Focus.
    Yes and no. I would define it this way:

The incorrect behavior is when the panel is displayed over a full-screen window that has focus.

There are only two circumstances for which any object (panel, window, menu, notification, etc) should take focus and be displayed over a full-screen window:

1. User action has created a new object or raised an existing one.
    2. A process requring immediate attention has created a new object or raised an existing one.

In both cases, the object should dissappear when returning focus to the full-screen window.
    There are no circumstances in which an object should be displayed over a full-screen window without taking focus.

The question I have is another vocablary issue: Panels are said to 'hide', when in fact they scroll aside or up/down, when a Window encroaches or the Mouse Cursor triggers the effect. This is very noticeable with FireFox, because it scrolls several toolbars off the screen.
    Yes, "hide" is also a vague term.
    To be precise we should say that objects either "scroll off" the screen (hiding) or "stay under" another object (layering).

In other words, it is not a question of:The Panels should not be there but off the screen.
    That is an acceptable solution.
    Actually I hope to have the layering problem fixed, but a scroll away setting for the panel would make me just as happy.

Beans
    Distro

Hi!, quequotion,

Thanks for your detailed elucidation.

We seem to be in general agreement, even if our displays sometimes seem to react differently.

I am still very surprised that no-one else has entered a contribution to this thread.

Chao!, bogan.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast