Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Unity panel always displayed on top of fullscreen windows

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Unity panel always displayed on top of fullscreen windows

Quote Originally Posted by chicken159 View Post
    Also - note that on the original machine it was just the process of going from cube > wall > cube which seemed to clear the problem (which is probably easier - if a bit scary what with it disabling unity in the process).
    Can you post the profile from the original machine?

I tried your suggestion.

Interestingly, full-screen worked properly with the desktop wall.

Also, I wasn't required to reload unity while switching from cube to wall.

Unfortunately compiz crashed when I attempted to change back to the cube.

I was forced to log out and log in again and found that panels were still visible on top of full-screen windows.
    Last edited by quequotion; March 20th, 2012 at 09:19 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by quequotion View Post
    Can you post the profile from the original machine?
    Sorry - I've been swapping profiles around between machines so much I don't actually know where they came from any more...suspect I should be more methodical. I've got a fresh install on my Dell Mini 10v that I'll set up from scratch and see if that works with fullscreen and cube then post the profile if it works.

The profile posted seems to get fullscreen working on my other machines though.

Beans

Last edited by alfsagen; March 21st, 2012 at 10:13 PM. Reason: Wrongly submitted

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    In full screen mode the windows are moving under the panel. That is what is happening and it should not happen.

There is no intention to make the top panel disappear when a window is maximised. Remember, it is the intention with unity for the top panel to be the place for the max, min & close buttons of a window as well as for app indicators.

I am using 12.04 development release and maximised windows stay below the top panel but up against it.

we have the ability to bounce a window against the top panel and when we let go of the mouse button the window maximizes. Then when we move the mouse over the top panel the pointer should change to a hand icon so that we can grab the top of the maximized window and pull it down at which point the window snaps back to its original size. My point is that the maximized window should not be under the top panel. That is the problem and not the one of the top panel not disappearing.

I do not know how you stop this from happening but my guess is that it is to do with a setting in CCSM. I cannot check this out as I am not using 11.10 but 12.04 and there are changes to CCSM in 12.04.

Regards.

P.S. It occurs to me that your thread title is a little misleading. This is not a problem with maximized windows. Is it? It is a problem with playing video in full screen mode. Is it not?

You are discussing *maximised* windows, not *full screen*.
    These are 2 different things.

Simple example: Open Firefox, then press F11 --> Firefox goes into *full screen* mode (which is more than maximised), and it should cover the Unity status bar at the top of the screen.

Beans

Cool Re: Unity panel always displayed on top of fullscreen windows

Hi, i am experiencing the same issue.

Top panel remaining visible when Fullscreen-ing (not maximising) any application - most noticeably with video (VLC/totem) as this is where i use fullscreen the most - but have checked it with Chromium (F11) and Gimp with the same behaviour being apparent.

I cannot be 100% sure but i think when i initially installed (before messing with CCSM and crashing unity a couple of times, or messing around with desktop themes) i watched some videos in fullscreen and the problem wasn't there - but it is a new computer with fresh windows7 and 11.10 so i might have been using vlc under win7.

This is an issue for me as i use Gimp and VLC a lot for my work. also i am currently without any other means of watching video/TV other than my laptop and i'm just a stickler for fullscreen viewing.

I find that it is hard to change settings in CCSM without unity going 'mental'/resetting or even crashing and having to log in and find interesting ways to run the terminal etc.... i have enabled the desktop cube and saw on an earlier post that i might want to try the wall but whenever i try to enable wall or disable cube it just crashes unity.

From what i have seen here there are others with the problem and it is not just a result of my gung-ho settings-amashing attitude as usual. I find it to be a really strange oversight to make fullscreen windows/apps only overlay this panel if they are of the type 'pop-up' (not that i fully understand what this means) but surely unity should have been developed to utilise whatever coding/designation was already in use with popular applications - so that the user experienced the same functionality as previously in gnome shell/ubuntu or with other operating systems.

anyway longterm n00b here who keeps ending up behind the curve with ubuntu with each new install.

Beans

Cool Re: Unity panel always displayed on top of fullscreen windows

hey there - not confuse the issue - purposefully anyway - but just experienced the maximising issue as well... bloody annoying. I think i am going to do a fresh install, but i might not.

If i do i will let you know how i get on. will be a couple of days till i do IF i do - in the mean time if anyone here wants any info from me i will be only to happy to oblige.

cheers, Iain

Beans

Hi, I also have this problem... the Unity status bar is over my tabs in firefox.

Beans

Has anyone made any progress in figuring this out. I attempted to use CCSM to set a window rule that it would always fullscreened. What ended up happening is that it would flick fullscreen, then the bars would come back, like CCSM was working but the bars tried to overrule it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I'm going to revive this thread, if nobody minds. I have the same problem when watching YouTube or VLC videos, for example, and do have Desktop Wall and Legacy Fullscreen Support enabled, and neither have helped. Has anybody come up with a better solution?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by josephellengar View Post
    I'm going to revive this thread, if nobody minds. I have the same problem when watching YouTube or VLC videos, for example, and do have Desktop Wall and Legacy Fullscreen Support enabled, and neither have helped. Has anybody come up with a better solution?
    I also have exactly the same problem with every application. Considering in terms of screen size value, I thought the launcher was put on the left to increase the vertical screen space. However on coming from 10.04 to 12.04, about a cm has been knocked off the top, whereas in 10.04 the panel was set to autohide.
    Additionally it makes it look (at least to me) like a fragmented desktop and interferes severely with several applications which have panels in the same area. see screenshot for example
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast