Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Unity panel always displayed on top of fullscreen windows

Beans

Re: Unity panel always displayed on top of fullscreen windows

Quote Originally Posted by quequotion View Post
    The "flashing previous desktop" bug really has been fixed, although that fix is not officially available for Precise.
    One of the developers set up a temporary PPA for Precise here, but this version of compiz, 0.9.7.8-0ubuntu1, is "out of date" (0.9.7.8-0ubuntu1.4 is current for Precise), so installing requires an override.
    The fix is not included in newer versions of compiz until 0.9.8 (available for Quantal).
    Someday, there will be an SRU for Precise that will include this fix and others...
    In the mean time, I have installed compiz from Quantal on my system.
    Could you explain, in detail, how to install it by overriding it?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by firekage View Post
    this thread covers the bug & the stopgap fix:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...iz/+bug/862430

post #149 is I think how I implemented it.

however, several weeks after I installed the fix, one of my Compiz upgrades snuck through, apparently, and wrecked my Compiz configuration. it may have been my error, except I don't remember doing anything wrong or risky.

as a result, I am one of those (impatiently) waiting for the resolution of the bug -- I guess somewhere in the launchpad thread there's a good explanation of why the fix has landed in Quantal but not Precise, but I don't understand that, either.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper

Good news / Bad news

Good news:
    I tracked down the cause on my computer.
    Whenver I have the cube enabled and transparent, Unity will be stuck on top of everything.
    If the cube is set to 100% opacity, things work as expected.

Bad news:
    This may only work for me, as it seems several different configurations of compiz bring out the error. Also, I don't want to go without a transparent cube.

Good news:
    The developers recognize and continue to work on the problem.
    I've been talking to people on IRC who were very supportive.

Bad news:
    It looks like we're down to edge cases with unspecified causes, which are rather difficult bugs to fix.
    Heyhey, Thanks for noting this, I had just been fudding around with my compiz settings in 12.04 to get the coolest desktop experience ever, and fullscreen apps started behaving as you described. The transparency during rotation was fine, but opacity when not rotating had to be 100. Too bad, I liked seeing my other desktops...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Mycen View Post
    Heyhey, Thanks for noting this, I had just been fudding around with my compiz settings in 12.04 to get the coolest desktop experience ever, and fullscreen apps started behaving as you described. The transparency during rotation was fine, but opacity when not rotating had to be 100. Too bad, I liked seeing my other desktops...
    Could you join this bug report as well? If we can get the number of people affected up higher, the report might get more attention and urgency.

If anyone else comes across the same problem, leave a comment here and join the bug report also. Comment on the bug report if you have some more information.

If you don't have a launchpad account, you'll need to make one (or maybe you can use your forum login?), log in, and then click, in the report, on the yellow (!) next to "This bug affects # people. Does this bug affect you?" then click "(O) Yes, it affects me."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by firekage View Post
    It's not something I'd recommend, particularly if you ever have to go back to the default version since downgrading is much more difficult.

If you want to try, you'll either need to add Quantal's repositories or download the packages manually. I went with manually because I don't want to install other stuff from Quantal yet.

The list of packages to download is pretty long, particularly a few obscure dependencies will come up.

I've individually downloaded and installed the following packages:
    Code:
    bamfdaemon_0.3.0-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb
    compiz_0.9.8.0-0ubuntu1_all.deb
    compizconfig-backend-gconf_0.9.8.0-0ubuntu1_all.deb
    compizconfig-settings-manager_0.9.8.0-0ubuntu1_all.deb
    compiz-core_0.9.8.0-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb
    compiz-gnome_0.9.8.0-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb
    compiz-plugins_0.9.8.0-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb
    compiz-plugins-default_0.9.8.0-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb
    compiz-plugins-extra_0.9.8.0-0ubuntu1_all.deb
    compiz-plugins-main_0.9.8.0-0ubuntu1_all.deb
    compiz-plugins-main-default_0.9.8.0-0ubuntu1_all.deb
    libbamf0_0.3.0-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb
    libbamf3-0_0.3.0-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb
    libcompizconfig0_0.9.8.0-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb
    libdecoration0_0.9.8.0-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb
    libglew1.8_1.8.0-1ubuntu2_amd64.deb
    libglewmx1.8_1.8.0-1ubuntu2_amd64.deb
    libmetacity-private0a_2.34.5-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb
    libnux-3.0-0_3.4.0-0ubuntu3_amd64.deb
    libnux-3.0-common_3.4.0-0ubuntu3_all.deb
    libpci3_3.1.9-5ubuntu2_amd64.deb
    libunity-core-6.0-5_6.4.0-0ubuntu4_amd64.deb
    libunity-protocol-private0_5.96.0-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb
    libunity-webapps0_2.0.1-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb
    metacity_2.34.5-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb
    metacity-common_2.34.5-0ubuntu1_all.deb
    nux-tools_3.4.0-0ubuntu3_amd64.deb
    pciutils_3.1.9-5ubuntu2_amd64.deb
    python-compizconfig_0.9.8.0-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb
    sgml-base_1.26+nmu3ubuntu1_all.deb
    unity-2d_6.4.0-0ubuntu4_all.deb
    unity_6.4.0-0ubuntu4_amd64.deb
    unity-autopilot_6.4.0-0ubuntu4_all.deb
    unity-common_6.4.0-0ubuntu4_all.deb
    unity-lens-applications_6.4.0-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb
    unity-lens-files_6.4.0-0ubuntu2_amd64.deb
    unity-lens-music_6.6.0-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb
    unity-lens-video_0.3.9-0ubuntu1_all.deb
    unity-services_6.4.0-0ubuntu4_amd64.deb
    unity-webapps-service_2.0.1-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb
    Also important to note, the latest version of compiz in Quantal has been severly lobotomized to preserve interoperability with in GLES for ARM. It will probably be back in shape soon enough, but the current version looks a little WIP.
    Last edited by quequotion; September 14th, 2012 at 10:31 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper

Could you join this bug report as well? If we can get the number of people affected up higher, the report might get more attention and urgency.
    Done!

Beans

If anyone else comes across the same problem, leave a comment here and join the bug report also. Comment on the bug report if you have some more information.
    Done!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

About two weeks ago Unity 5.16.0 was released to fix this issue.

Unfortunately it does not fix bug 1025535, where unity appears on top of everything when the cube is enabled and transparent.

This bug also continues to affect Unity 6.6.0 in Quantal.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I hope it's not me or my hardware, but the last week or so, Compiz has become extremely unstable. Within 3-10 hours of a reboot, almost inevitably I'll come up against:

1) a frozen desktop, or one that is completely corrupted;
    2) a desktop that will refuse to return from the screensaver, requiring a hard reboot, which is always fun;
    3) a "broken cube," as it were -- a desktop which refuses to spin to reveal any other desktops. In the past, when Compiz crashed in this fashion, it was considerate enough to arrange all open windows from other desktops on the remaining one, but the most recent version of Compiz do not do this.

I understand this isn't the best place to post this -- however 1) when I look at the lengthy list of Compiz bugs on Launchpad, I don't really see anything germane because 2) I don't really know where to look to find. In fact, [the few] times when the crash reporter pops up to ask me if I'd like to report the bug, it asks me something impenetrable or irrelevant.

So -- I guess one reason I'm posting here is I don't find another Compiz thread, and the discussion here has been intelligent and well-informed.

1) Where should I look to find the bug to report?
    2) Is there any particular feature I should try disabling to stabilize things?
    3) As I mentioned earlier, I had trouble with the the older version of Compiz, so am unwilling to use the back version. I really have grown quite fond of Unity, but while an occasional crash is acceptable, inevitable ones really aren't. Should I just go to Gnome 3?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by ray field View Post
    I hope it's not me or my hardware, but the last week or so, Compiz has become extremely unstable.
    just for the archives: I seem to have maybe resolved this by installing nvidia-current (I had 239.something I think). I actually would have been happy to go with Nouveau -- I don't do much hardcore gaming, which I assume is the most compelling reason to use the proprietary driver -- except the fullscreen dosemu was terrible.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast