Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Why is Chromium out of date in Natty Ubuntu repos?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Beans
    248
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

    Why is Chromium out of date in Natty Ubuntu repos?

    The Chromium in the Ubuntu repos is version 12.0.742.112, which was released at the end of June. The current version is 14.x. The repos used to stay up to date moving through version numbers just as they were released. Why is it so far out of date?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Beans
    1,835
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Why is Chromium out of date in Natty Ubuntu repos?

    Quote Originally Posted by CoreyB. View Post
    The Chromium in the Ubuntu repos is version 12.0.742.112, which was released at the end of June. The current version is 14.x. The repos used to stay up to date moving through version numbers just as they were released. Why is it so far out of date?
    It likely will never be updated in the main repos except for security fixes. Use the stable or beta PPA's as per your choice:

    https://launchpad.net/~chromium-dail...s_filter=natty


    https://launchpad.net/~chromium-dail...s_filter=natty

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Vermont
    Beans
    870
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: Why is Chromium out of date in Natty Ubuntu repos?

    Personally I just install regular google chrome straight from google's website... It adds google's repo and keeps itself up to date.
    Desktop: Windows 8 x64 | Intel Core i5-2500 | 16 GB DDR3 1333 | ATI 6950 2gb | 64gb Vertex 2/320gb/750gb/1tb hdd
    Laptop: System76 Lemur Ultra | Xubuntu 13.04 x64 | 2.5Ghz Intel Core i5-3210m | 8GB DDR31600 | Intel HD4000 | 500GB 7200rpm hybrid hdd

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Beans
    12,533

    Re: Why is Chromium out of date in Natty Ubuntu repos?

    Quote Originally Posted by screaminj3sus View Post
    Personally I just install regular google chrome straight from google's website... It adds google's repo ...
    Ditto. You get the modded Flash and PDF Viewer as well.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Hockeytown, MI
    Beans
    561
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: Why is Chromium out of date in Natty Ubuntu repos?

    There's currently a manpower shortage for Chromium, but Micah is working on it and it should be updated soon.

    (Chromium in all versions of ubuntu has a micro release exception and is normally kept as up to date as possible but the former chromium maintainer has moved on and it's taken a bit to get it updated)

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Beans
    1,427
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Why is Chromium out of date in Natty Ubuntu repos?

    Quote Originally Posted by castrojo View Post
    There's currently a manpower shortage for Chromium, but Micah is working on it and it should be updated soon.

    (Chromium in all versions of ubuntu has a micro release exception and is normally kept as up to date as possible but the former chromium maintainer has moved on and it's taken a bit to get it updated)
    Thanks for this. I was wondering about Chromium myself.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Beans
    248
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

    Re: Why is Chromium out of date in Natty Ubuntu repos?

    Quote Originally Posted by castrojo View Post
    There's currently a manpower shortage for Chromium, but Micah is working on it and it should be updated soon.

    (Chromium in all versions of ubuntu has a micro release exception and is normally kept as up to date as possible but the former chromium maintainer has moved on and it's taken a bit to get it updated)
    Thanks for the info!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •