Thread: Why is Chromium out of date in Natty Ubuntu repos?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Why is Chromium out of date in Natty Ubuntu repos?

The Chromium in the Ubuntu repos is version 12.0.742.112, which was released at the end of June. The current version is 14.x. The repos used to stay up to date moving through version numbers just as they were released. Why is it so far out of date?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Why is Chromium out of date in Natty Ubuntu repos?

Quote Originally Posted by CoreyB. View Post
    The Chromium in the Ubuntu repos is version 12.0.742.112, which was released at the end of June. The current version is 14.x. The repos used to stay up to date moving through version numbers just as they were released. Why is it so far out of date?
    It likely will never be updated in the main repos except for security fixes. Use the stable or beta PPA's as per your choice:

https://launchpad.net/~chromium-dail...s_filter=natty

https://launchpad.net/~chromium-dail...s_filter=natty

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Personally I just install regular google chrome straight from google's website... It adds google's repo and keeps itself up to date.
    Desktop: Windows 8 x64 | Intel Core i5-2500 | 16 GB DDR3 1333 | ATI 6950 2gb | 64gb Vertex 2/320gb/750gb/1tb hdd
    Laptop: System76 Lemur Ultra | Xubuntu 13.04 x64 | 2.5Ghz Intel Core i5-3210m | 8GB DDR31600 | Intel HD4000 | 500GB 7200rpm hybrid hdd

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by screaminj3sus View Post
    Personally I just install regular google chrome straight from google's website... It adds google's repo ...
    Ditto. You get the modded Flash and PDF Viewer as well.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

There's currently a manpower shortage for Chromium, but Micah is working on it and it should be updated soon.

(Chromium in all versions of ubuntu has a micro release exception and is normally kept as up to date as possible but the former chromium maintainer has moved on and it's taken a bit to get it updated)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by castrojo View Post
    There's currently a manpower shortage for Chromium, but Micah is working on it and it should be updated soon.

(Chromium in all versions of ubuntu has a micro release exception and is normally kept as up to date as possible but the former chromium maintainer has moved on and it's taken a bit to get it updated)
    Thanks for this. I was wondering about Chromium myself.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by castrojo View Post

Thanks for the info!