Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chinese 7in. Netbook, changing os?

Beans

Question Chinese 7in. Netbook, changing os?

Hello everyone!

I've seen this discussion before, but the post I was looking at was a year old, so I thought I'd bring up the issue again, and see if you guys can give me a hand. please.

The project started out as a simple concept:
    Purchase a 7" Mini Netbook Notebook Laptop and switch out the operating system (Windows CE), which is the only reason the netbook has been poorly rated.

The IDEAL conditions:
    I have a good working netbook, running a slick, light weight, web centric version of Linux. My considerations have been JoliOS, ChromiumOS, Ubuntu/Xubuntu, and PepermintOS.

The speed bump:
    After purchase, I find out there is seemingly no bios.
    From what I've heard, it runs off an integrated 2gb SSD drive.
    The closest I've come, is putting a "Script" file with Android onto an SD card and running it on the computer. This regrettably brings up an error, through the command prompt, and then boots into Windows CE *Shiffers just saying the name*

My hopes:
    That I can remove god awful Windows CE, and go with a more friendly version of linux.

Please note:
    installing operating systems is regrettably about the limit of my geek (that and running linux live to save data). When you go into "flashing" and "ARM" I get semi confused and lost, talk slow to me. Just a side note.

Thanks in advance for any support,
    Sam/GreatGeak
    Last edited by howefield; September 22nd, 2011 at 06:38 PM. Reason: remove ebay link.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Chinese 7in. Netbook, changing os?

Hi

I do not know what you are talking about either. Can you post the make and model? Someone might get curious and google it. Does it have USB ports?

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hi GreatGeak.

Is it one of these?

http://www.chinanetbooks.com/7-inch-netbook.html

This one appears to have the os flashed on to it.

http://www.hpcfactor.com/reviews/har...e/7in-netbook/
    Last edited by hansdown; September 23rd, 2011 at 02:33 AM.
    I learn something ubuntu everyday.
    dell precision T7500 1Tb hdd x 2
    2.67 Ghz intel xeon X5550 cpu
    nvidia quadro fx 4800-1.5 Gb video card

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Unfortunately, it sounds like like you've already bought this.

These "devices" (I use the term loosely) truly stretch the definition of "notebook" or even "netbook".

They are poorly rated for more reasons than just because the ship with Windows CE. They are underpowered, underperforming "toys"...and that's being kind.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

You can still get a refurbished 7" eeepc for $120. It would run puppy, slitaz...possibly lubuntu if you built it up from minimal install.

$40-$50 more would get you into a refub'd atom netbook that would run ubuntu quite easily.

Beans

@hansdown
    it does not seem to be any of those but it is very closely related to the CNR704 model. There are just some slight differences.
    I think that one with the hpformfactor link might be extremely similar as well, because the picture they have posted below http://www.hpcfactor.com/reviews/har...0-box-shot.jpg is the same as what's shown on my box. How would I "flash" an operating system on? Let alone now that it already has one.

@drawkcab, and MartyBuntu
    I am uninterested in a netbook for myself. This was somewhat of a pet project. I am aware at what I bought and am interested (if at all possible) in getting a linux os on it with or without the bios. It is actually a very fast computer, because there is no bios, and it's an SSD drive.

@grahammechanical
    There is no make and model...literally. And the manual shows no owner, company, or website.

Beans

Hi GreatGeek, there is some good info in this thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1349626

The short answer is: it's not a beginner project.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by GreatGeak View Post
    Hello everyone!

I've seen this discussion before, but the post I was looking at was a year old, so I thought I'd bring up the issue again, and see if you guys can give me a hand. please.

The project started out as a simple concept:
    Purchase a 7" Mini Netbook Notebook Laptop and switch out the operating system (Windows CE), which is the only reason the netbook has been poorly rated.

The IDEAL conditions:
    I have a good working netbook, running a slick, light weight, web centric version of Linux. My considerations have been JoliOS, ChromiumOS, Ubuntu/Xubuntu, and PepermintOS.

The speed bump:
    After purchase, I find out there is seemingly no bios.
    From what I've heard, it runs off an integrated 2gb SSD drive.
    The closest I've come, is putting a "Script" file with Android onto an SD card and running it on the computer. This regrettably brings up an error, through the command prompt, and then boots into Windows CE *Shiffers just saying the name*

My hopes:
    That I can remove god awful Windows CE, and go with a more friendly version of linux.

Please note:
    installing operating systems is regrettably about the limit of my geek (that and running linux live to save data). When you go into "flashing" and "ARM" I get semi confused and lost, talk slow to me. Just a side note.

Thanks in advance for any support,
    Sam/GreatGeak
    Hmm.. I think you will need netbook version linux. Also there is no such as ARM for laptop windows-base. Yes they do have BIOS. No BIOS, computer died.

Beans

@snowpine
    I saw that thread, but nothing seemed definite...and I couldn't quite put together a route at which I could take of my own. It seemed more like..."this os mod worked for me" "it didn't work for me" "it worked for me" "it didn't work for jimmy or tommy"

I don't know...maybe it was just hard for me to follow.

EDIT:
    here I've copied over the specs for you guys.

Processor

• Processor Type: VIA ARM 32bit CPU
    • Processor Clock Speed: 266M Hz
    • Processor/Manufacturer: VIA
    • Processor Model: VIA-ARM 920

Memory

• RAM/Technology: DRAM
    • RAM Installed Size: 128M at 133MHz

Hard Drive

• Hard Drive Type: NAND Fast Flash
    • Hard Drive Capacity: 2GB
    • Hard Drive Spindle Speed: NAND Fast Flash

Connectivity Ports

• Ports: 3 x USB 2.0, 1 x SDCard slot, 1 x Ethernet LAN Port (RJ45)
    • Audio/Video: Integrated Quadraphonic Speakers, 1x 1/8" (3.5mm) Headphone/Line-Out, 1x 1/8" (3.5mm) Microphone, Input 1x Integrated Microphone

Internet Connectivity

• Networking/Data Link Protocol: Fast Ethernet,IEEE 802.11b,IEEE 802.11g
    • Wireless Connection: Wifi
    • Support WPA(Wifi Protected Access), AES / CCMP & WEP with TKIP securtiy

Software

• Operating System: WinCE 6.0

Screen

• Display Diagonal Size: 7" TFT HD
    • Max Resolution: 800x480
    • Display Technology: TFT
    • Graphics Type: Integrated Graphics

Power & Battery

• Built-in 2100 mA/H Li-ion and 5V adapter
    • Comes with AC wall adapter

Input Device

• Keyboard: 80 Key
    • Pointing Device: TrackPad

General

• Product Type: Notebook
    • Color: Black, White, Red,Pink
    • Dimensions: 255mm x 167mm x 38mm

Format Support

• Video Format Support: AVI, MP4, 3GP(MPEG4 Profile), ASF(MPEG4 Profile)
    • Music Format Support: MP3, WMA, AAC, AAC+, CAT, max up to 48KHz at 320kbps

Package Included

• 1 x Mini Notebook
    • 1 x AC Adapter
    • 1 x User's Manual
    Last edited by GreatGeak; September 23rd, 2011 at 07:25 PM.

I have been lurking on this topic for literally years. If there are those who discover a very low cost (i.e., disposable) netbook solution for ubuntu, I would be thrilled.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast