Thread: Problems Opening .zip Files in KDE

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Question Problems Opening .zip Files in KDE

Hi, everyone...

I'm having trouble opening .zip files in KDE. My phone plan makes me download all the pictures I take as .zip files, and this used to work fine with Dolphin. For some reason, as of this morning, opening .zip files with Dolphin opens up an empty folder (like it should be in the right place, but the files just aren't there) and for some reason the system wants to automatically open those files with Ark (which doesn't let me do jack with the photos even though I can see them) and telling it to open them with Dolphin instead suddenly turned into opening two blank windows with no files displayed in them. The only changes I've made to the system recently were to set up a bunch of multimedia stuff so I could play and rip my DVD's and CD's. I used this comprehensive how-to following the instructions that pertain to Ubuntu/Kubuntu 10.04.

Does anybody have any ideas what might have happened here?
    -Val

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Re: Problems Opening .zip Files in KDE

Hi,
    I'm not sure what could have happened but check to see if you still have the packages called 'zip' and 'unzip' installed. These are the packages that ARK (the archive manager in KDE) uses to compress and extract zip archives.

Now try testing and extracting the zip files with unzip in your terminal. If using unzip in the terminal works, then there must be something wrong with ARK itself.

Change to the zip archive's directory:
    Code:
    cd /path/to/folder
    Test the zip file:
    Code:
    unzip -t myfile.zip
    Extract the zip file:
    Code:
    unzip myfile.zip
    Unzip as a requirement of ARK:
    http://docs.kde.org/development/en/k...uirements.html

How to use unzip:
    http://linux.about.com/od/commands/l/blcmdl1_unzip.htm
    http://linux.about.com/od/commands/a/blcmdl1_unzipx.htm

Hope this helps.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

It's strange. I've been gone for the weekend and when I got back, this problem had gone away. Should I just mark this thread as "Solved," or leave it open for others who might have the same problem? o.o
    -Val

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Mark it as solved, because people who are having the same problem as you can always start a new thread which will be more effective than adding to this one.
    AMD A4-3400 w/ Radeon HD 6410D, 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1333Mhz, Kubuntu 14.04, SliTaz 4.0, Windows 8.1, Ubuntu 14.04 VM
    " ... Love your neighbor as you love yourself."