Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you install Wunderlist

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

How do you install Wunderlist

Sorry, I am still new to Linux. I am trying, I learn something new everyday. I am trying to install Wunderlist. I went to the website and downloaded the .tgz file, extracted it, used file manager to open the file. It asks me which program to use. Help. How do I do "run" this file?
    Thanks,
    Ernie
    Last edited by sisco311; September 25th, 2011 at 10:34 PM. Reason: Edited thread title.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: How do you install Wunderlist

Hi, I went and downloaded the file but I could not extract it because it is for 32 bit and I am running 64 bit ubuntu.

You need to look at the read me file it will tell you how to install it.
    Thank you
    Last edited by sisco311; September 25th, 2011 at 10:34 PM. Reason: same as above

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Smile Re: How do you install Wunderlist

ernestj,

I was able to easily run Wunderlist on my Ubuntu 11.04 64 bit. Download the file "wunderlist-1.2.4-linux-64.tgz from Wunderlist website. Link: http://www.6wunderkinder.com/downloa...4-linux-64.tgz

Once download right lick on the file and select extract here or double click to open the file in the archive manager. Extract the contents of the file and you will now have a folder called "Wunderlist-1.2.4. Go into the folder and look for the file name "Wunderlist" and just double click and the Wunderlist application will open.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by sisco311; September 25th, 2011 at 10:35 PM. Reason: same

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by ernestj View Post
    Sorry, I am still new to Linux. I am trying, I learn something new everyday. I am trying to install Wunderlist. I went to the website and downloaded the .tgz file, extracted it, used file manager to open the file. It asks me which program to use. Help. How do I do "run" this file?
    Thanks,
    Ernie
    I was having similar trouble. The issue seems to be with permissions. The trick is to first make sure that the "Wunderlist" launcher file is executable using chmod +x and then enter root mode and launch it from the shell. For the uninitiated, open shell and change to the Wunderlist directory and run following commands :

Code:
    $ chmod +x Wunderlist
    $ sudo -s   <enter password on prompt>
    # ./Wunderlist
    Last edited by sisco311; September 25th, 2011 at 10:37 PM. Reason: same as above

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Arrow Re: How do you install Wunderlist

FWIW I came across something recently that may be useful to you. While it is a bit old the information is pretty general (but technical too). While it may not address your specific issue, the information it contains may help you figure out what to do to solve the problem. In any case it's not a huge read. Take a peek if think it might help.

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Software-Building-HOWTO.html

Last edited by sisco311; September 25th, 2011 at 10:36 PM. Reason: same
    “ The best method for accelerating a computer is the one that boosts it by 9.8 m/s2. ”
    - Anonymous

Beans
    Hidden!

I'm finding that I can only run Wunderlist using sudo and this (of course) is unacceptable.

Report posted here: Wunderlist | Unable to run Wunderlist on Linux without sudo

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Arrow Re: How do you install Wunderlist

Quote Originally Posted by SecretCode View Post
    I'm finding that I can only run Wunderlist using sudo and this (of course) is unacceptable.

Report posted here: Wunderlist | Unable to run Wunderlist on Linux without sudo

Hmmm . . .

I've never run into a situation like that before but the first thing I thought when I read that is 'permissions' and wundered if user space applications are supposed to be owned by root or by the user. I did a

Code:
    ls -la /usr/bin
    (from my home directory) only to discover that all the apps in that directory are, in fact, owned by root. There are also some programs that install to a different directory (such as thunderbird, which installs to your home directory as a hidden file). So, just to check it out, I also did a

Code:
    ls -la
    (while in my home directory of course). What I saw was that all the apps installed there (and there are a considerable number of them) are owned by me, the user.

This makes me wunder about your wunderlist . Where is it installed and who owns it? Who is supposed to own it? If it is owned by root, is it possible that doing a

Code:
    chown uname:groupname
    to change the ownership to your uname and groupname would solve your problem?

Be careful with chown. Make sure you use it right if you are going to use it. It can bite you if you don't.

HTH
    Last edited by ClientAlive; October 1st, 2011 at 08:55 AM.
    “ The best method for accelerating a computer is the one that boosts it by 9.8 m/s2. ”
    - Anonymous

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

very nice application...!!

Beans
    Hidden!

ClientAlive: I've tried installing it in /opt (and running chown -R me:me) on it; and in my home folder. Same results each time.

Run with sudo, the first time it runs it puts up a licence agreement window and thereafter it remembers it. Run without sudo, it always shows the licence agreement window and then crashes. I'm pretty sure this means it's writing its config data to some location that a regular user does not have access to, but so far I have not been able to find out what it is (no clues from find ... -mmin -5).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Maybe it has something to do with the folder location where it was extracted to. Myself, I downloaded it and extracted it to the system DOWNLOADS folder and it works just fine from there... I even created a launcher on the system panel and it works.

and maybe it has nothing to do with that - but just trying to help...!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast