Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

OO Documents Become Incoherent

Ubuntu 10.04.4
    (Dual Boot w/ Win 7)
    HP Pav. g7 laptop

Folks,

Just got this laptop and started writing in OO and the text will randomly jump around from where I'm typing them to almost anywhere else in the document such that I have to search for it in the middle of the last paragraph and physically drag it back to where it belongs. I also have MS Word installed and haven't noticed the same problem but the laptop is new to me and I haven't yet used Word much with it. I have used the same basic setup (OO + Word and dual boot with XP) rather extensively on several other computers and never had this problem and am trying to ascertain if this is a glitch with OO or in the laptop. As a published novelist I find this situation disconcerting but I have only three days to take the laptop back to Best Buy if the problem is with it.

Since this is the first laptop I've owned I first thought I might be me dragging my hand across the touch pad but I've disabled it in Win7 and rebooted to Ubuntu and have the same problem with the added bonus of my graphics being screwed. I don't have that problem elsewhere (this post is acting normally) but OO was just installed two days ago so I wouldn't think a re-installation would be necessary. I haven't found anything in OO Help for repairing such a glitch and I'm open to any suggestions.

I hope this post is making sense but without knowing where else to look this is about all I can say about it.

Thanks,

-Randy

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: OO Documents Become Incoherent

The first thought that actually comes to mind is the touchpad, the first time I got a laptop my wrists would tap the touchpad occasionally while typing and jump the cursor to a random location in the document. Mine had a button that would lock the touchpad that I'd have to use whenever I was doing some serious typing.

Could that be what's causing the issue?
    "You can't expect to hold supreme executive power just because some watery tart lobbed a sword at you"

"Don't let your mind wander -- it's too little to be let out alone."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Jerome,

That was my first thought too but it didn't make any difference, unfortunately. I'll probably try Word again if I can ever make heads-or-tails out of Wine but I have a deeply rooted distrust of anything MS.

Thanks for the suggestion.

-Randy

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

The problem was using an older version of OO.